XP won't reboot without USB drive connected

Recently I tried to reboot my XP Pro system after disconnecting my external
MAXTOR USB drive. Now when I try to reboot the boot process stops and asks
me to insert a boot disk! The C:boot.ini doesn't have the usb drive listed.
When I power the USB drive back on, the boot process hits it once and then
boots off of the SATA disk without problems. Once it's running I can
shutdown the USB drive and it doesn't cause any problems. The USB drive
doesn't contain any system or hidden files that are used in booting. If I
turn off the USB devices in the bios, then the system won't boot.
1 answer Last reply
More about reboot drive connected

    The actual error message I get while trying to boot with the USB Maxtor drive
    disconnected is the following: Roboot and select proper boot device or insert
    boot media in selected boot device and press a key

    "Mark@VRTS" wrote:

    > Recently I tried to reboot my XP Pro system after disconnecting my external
    > MAXTOR USB drive. Now when I try to reboot the boot process stops and asks
    > me to insert a boot disk! The C:boot.ini doesn't have the usb drive listed.
    > When I power the USB drive back on, the boot process hits it once and then
    > boots off of the SATA disk without problems. Once it's running I can
    > shutdown the USB drive and it doesn't cause any problems. The USB drive
    > doesn't contain any system or hidden files that are used in booting. If I
    > turn off the USB devices in the bios, then the system won't boot.

USB Drive Boot Windows XP