EQ1 FT question for cleric

What's the tradeoff between mana pool and flowing thought,
IOW suppose I need to give up 50 mana to get 2 points FT. Is that
a good or bad trade? What if it's 100 mana for 2 FT?

the wharf rat wrote:
> What's the tradeoff between mana pool and flowing thought,
> IOW suppose I need to give up 50 mana to get 2 points FT. Is that
> a good or bad trade? What if it's 100 mana for 2 FT?

How much of your mana pool does 100 mana represent, 1%? 10%? 50%?

Now ask yourself, how often do you go from FM to OOM in very short
order, and end up having to run or die?

Then ask yourself how often you find yourself waiting for mana to
regenerate, or how often you forbear doing something that might speed up
kills per hour, because you can't afford the mana.

The first is a mana pool issue; mana regen takes time, in the short run
you really only have the mana in your pool, if your pool is so small you
are regularly emptying it out, then your pool is too small. If, on the
other hand, you've never run out of mana in the pool in a single pull,
then your pool is larger than you've ever needed.

The second, the question of mana over time, is a regeneration issue;
whenever you have to wait for mana or skip doing something because it
will use mana up, then your regeneration is slow; only if you can always
cast whatever you want, any time you want, are you at a point where more
mana regen won't help. If you are asking these questions I'd bet you
aren't at that point, although believe it or not it is attainable; its
quite possible to get to a point where you can't cast spells any faster
than your mana regenerates without getting aggro you don't want, at
least for some classes.

Slightly off topic, Focus Effects are also very important here, because
many of them mean spending less mana to do a job, one way or another.
Spend less mana on a spell, and its like getting both FT and pool at the
same time; if your spell only costs you 90% of what it "should" (say 90
mana instead of 100) then its as though your pool is 10% deeper, AND
your mana regenerates 10% faster. Focus effects tend to be far easier
to get than FT.

Back to your original question, I'd say a rough rule of thumb is that
FT1 is worth about 5% of your mana pool, if not more; if your pool is
deep its worth 10%, even 15%. If your pool is very shallow, though, it
may not be worth much at all; if you can't cast enough spells in short
order to get thru a mob, then your mana regen rate won't matter at all,
because you'll be dead. Oddly, the lower your level the more the FT is
worth, because your spells cost much less, so regenerating the mana
spent takes a lot less time, Plus, you're only eligible for relatively
small mana regen spells. With KEI or better, plus BAOR, beastlord buff,
some MC and so on, you won't even notice FT1. But when you're running
Breeze, that FT will add half again to your standing mana regen!

Lance
Bergh Brelltender, 65 Cleric, retired

wrat@panix.com (the wharf rat) wrote in news:crjiej$lf$1@panix3.panix.com:

> What's the tradeoff between mana pool and flowing thought,
> IOW suppose I need to give up 50 mana to get 2 points FT. Is that
> a good or bad trade? What if it's 100 mana for 2 FT?

Well, I would give up 100 mana for FT2, but, I'm not a cleric. Mana
throughput is generally more important than depth of mana pool. There are
times when you need that depth of pool, but most of the time, more mana
regen is far more useful.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

On 6 Jan 2005 09:37:07 -0500, wrat@panix.com (the wharf rat) wrote:

> What's the tradeoff between mana pool and flowing thought,
>IOW suppose I need to give up 50 mana to get 2 points FT. Is that
>a good or bad trade? What if it's 100 mana for 2 FT?

Depends if you raid or not,my cleric doesnt.
My 65,10 AAs Cleric has 220 Wis and FT9.This is with some (free)
Ldon Wis augs.
We had this discussion not long ago,but I am happy to repeat. :)
My update sequence:

1)Focus effect
2)FT
3)Hitpoints(Sta)
4)Str,Dex
5)Wis or mana(I never look for this,comes automatically)

I just love casters,who fall when a mob looks at them;lately I was
grouped in PoD at castle area(lvl 57 mobs),casted my *best*(rofl)
heal(no IH2 item equipped) with my 55 Ranger on a 57 Enchanter,
guess what,his hp bar moved for 10% !!!
I still wonder,how that is possible,but I casted several heals on him
with the same result.Thank god we had a tank ,capable to hold aggro
*very* well - me. :)

Melforge 55 Ranger(tank)

Lance explained it very well...

My 61 Cleric has 258 WIS, 3700 mana MAX Med skill, and FT6

That is sufficient to get through most LDoN addys and most XP groups
without a mana break...

But it isn't enough for Raiding where more pulls happen and more
damage occurs to the tank more often. For these he needs KEI and SA/SD
for mana regen; and even then will go oom after about 10-15 pulls.

In my observation, a lot depends on the Tank too. If the tank can keep
agro and dosent panic easily I can use CH's which are easy on the mana
pool. If he cant keep agro then I have to heal everyone else and those
smaller quick-heals drain mana very quickly.

TRENDING THREADS