• Call of Duty
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Workstations
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
January 14, 2012 12:37:30 AM

Hello,

I recently got a DVD of Call of Duty Black Ops, as I had played it on the Xbox 360 and it was pretty fun.

So I installed it on my HP Workstation xw4200; specs are:

Gigabyte GeForce 9500 GT, 1GB DDR2
1GB RAM (Soon to be upgraded)
Intel Pentium 4 (541) 3.20ghz

Now, according to what I read, black ops requires 2 threads, and that CPU is supposed to support hyper threading - yet it doesn't show up in the BIOS, and I downloaded the HP Workstation hyperthreading utility, pressed the button to turn hyperthreading on. It then says 'No Changes have been made'. Now, I definately know that hyperthreading ISN'T enable, So I clicked off and it said I had to restart for the changes to take effect. I did that, then clicked ON for it, and told me to restart again. I did that, but I still only get one gra-ph in the Task Manager, and device manager...

Is there some way I can get Black Ops running without hyperthreading, and if not, how can I enable it?

More about : cod black ops workstation xw4200

January 14, 2012 1:46:23 AM

i dont think you need hyper threading anyway because alot of people on youtube dont have it and still run it but i recommend take the graphics card out and get a dual core you will get much better performance to run a dual core than a pentium 4 with hyper threading
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:01:47 AM

jakepf1 said:
i dont think you need hyper threading anyway because alot of people on youtube dont have it and still run it but i recommend take the graphics card out and get a dual core you will get much better performance to run a dual core than a pentium 4 with hyper threading

Well I thought it might work as I have another computer with Hyper threading enabled and runs on that, just on the one WITHOUT hyperthreading it gets stuck at the Press Any Key to Continue screen...

But either way, I would like to enable HT.

I am looking at upgrading it, but I do not know how easy it will be as it has a propriatry heat sink with liquid cooling and stuff.

One thing I was wondering was, the BIOS my xw4200 has is version 1.08, but the latest one is 1.09. Will upgrading it give the the setting to enable Hyperthreading?

Thanks.

craigz
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2012 5:09:18 AM

no i dont think it will give the hyper threading option if you upgrade bios because some computers dont support hyper threading and i would not liquid cool a pentium 4 you could buy a way better pc with the prices of liquid cooling but if you want to cool your pc a little bit better you can download " speed fan " its a software that alows you to control the fan speed. increase it a little bit but if you dont care how loud your pc is just put it on 100 percent
m
l
January 16, 2012 5:13:29 AM

oh and by the you can stuff up your computer with water cooling if it leaks your pc is stuffed
m
l
January 17, 2012 4:17:56 AM

jakepf1 said:
oh and by the you can stuff up your computer with water cooling if it leaks your pc is stuffed

Well, I am not sure you understand - this computer is a HP one, and it came with the watercooling installed. Well, I presume it has as it has pipes going into the heatsink.

I am pretty sure the CPU does support HT as in CPU-Z it says it is a Pentium 4 541, and on the Intel site it says it has hyperthreading support. Maybe it is wrong, I don't know.
m
l
January 17, 2012 4:29:24 AM

maybe idk because on the intel web site it says hyper threading should be already enabled try upgrading your bios
m
l
January 17, 2012 5:47:49 AM

jakepf1 said:
maybe idk because on the intel web site it says hyper threading should be already enabled try upgrading your bios

Ok, will try and get back to you. Finger's crossed! ;) 
m
l
January 17, 2012 6:43:38 AM

Craigz

Your pc does not actually meet the minimum system requirements for CoD:Black Ops

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42700/

Hyperthreading does not give you a second processing core, it only utilises the existing core(s) more efficiently by keeping it busy for more of the time.

It's also very dodgy running this game on a minimum spec machine as it is very demanding, even on far more powerful machines.

I would thoroughly recommend replacing/upgrading the pc if you want to play this game.
m
l
January 17, 2012 7:02:03 PM

pauls3743 said:
Craigz

Your pc does not actually meet the minimum system requirements for CoD:Black Ops

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42700/

Hyperthreading does not give you a second processing core, it only utilises the existing core(s) more efficiently by keeping it busy for more of the time.

It's also very dodgy running this game on a minimum spec machine as it is very demanding, even on far more powerful machines.

I would thoroughly recommend replacing/upgrading the pc if you want to play this game.

Hm... well, I can get it to run on lowest settings on another computer with HT enabled, the specs are:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz HT Enabled
GeForce 9400 GT 512mb
2GB DDR2

It runs almost smoothly, on lowest settings, so I had hoped that with my other ones 9500GT 1GB would run it medium settings.

I am looking around to see whats the best bang for your buck, in terms of Core 2 cpu's, but most are pretty expensive. That is why I had hoped to get it working on my P4.

What does my computer not meet? Just the CPU or other things? I am going to upgrade the memory to 4GB if that is what you meant...

Also, how can I tell what CPU's my computer supports? Anyone know?

EDIT: I u[dated the BIOS to v1.09, still no luck - it won't show up in the BIOS. :cry: 

Is their anyone else who has this computer who can get HT working? If I go into CPU-Z, then it says it is a pentium 4 541 - the intel site says that one supports HT.
m
l
January 20, 2012 5:15:27 PM

Ok guys, nevermind - I think I will ditch this system and get a new one. Thanks all the same though....

But, is a Dell Vostro 220 any good? The minitower version I mean.. and will my GeForce 9500GT work in it?
m
l
!