Can't delete file

I have been trying to delete some files but when I attempt this I get a
message saying 'Access Denied'

How do I get around this?
--
Hotdog Dave
6 answers Last reply

    "Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have been trying to delete some files but when I attempt this I get a
    >message saying 'Access Denied'
    >
    >How do I get around this?

    What are the names of the files (or at least some of them) and where
    are they located?

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks for the response

    The files are actually, now that I think of it, only folders. There are two
    folders inside one which is on the desktop and they contain nothing at all! I
    can open the desktop folder but not those contained in it! When looking at
    the properties of the folders there is 0 bytes of info.

    --
    Hotdog Dave

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have been trying to delete some files but when I attempt this I get a
    > >message saying 'Access Denied'
    > >
    > >How do I get around this?
    >
    > What are the names of the files (or at least some of them) and where
    > are they located?
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Go to Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings and
    verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked
    and "Hide protected operating system files " is unchecked. You may need
    to scroll down to see the second item.

    If you make any changes regarding hidden files etc are any files then
    visible in the folders?

    What are the names of these folders?

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the response
    >
    > The files are actually, now that I think of it, only folders. There
    > are two
    > folders inside one which is on the desktop and they contain nothing at
    > all! I
    > can open the desktop folder but not those contained in it! When
    > looking at
    > the properties of the folders there is 0 bytes of info.
    >
    > --
    > Hotdog Dave
    >

    > "Ron Martell" wrote:
    >
    >> "Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have been trying to delete some files but when I attempt this I
    >> >get a
    >> >message saying 'Access Denied'
    >> >
    >> >How do I get around this?
    >>
    >> What are the names of the files (or at least some of them) and where
    >> are they located?
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    No luck Gerry

    The three folders remain as can't access and can't delete - "access denied".
    they are empty folders named each named : travel, wine, property (can't cange
    the names either!

    Thanks
    --
    Hotdog Dave

    "Gerry Cornell" wrote:

    > Go to Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings and
    > verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked
    > and "Hide protected operating system files " is unchecked. You may need
    > to scroll down to see the second item.
    >
    > If you make any changes regarding hidden files etc are any files then
    > visible in the folders?
    >
    > What are the names of these folders?
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Gerry
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Using invalid email address
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > suggested solution worked for you.
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > "Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the response
    > >
    > > The files are actually, now that I think of it, only folders. There
    > > are two
    > > folders inside one which is on the desktop and they contain nothing at
    > > all! I
    > > can open the desktop folder but not those contained in it! When
    > > looking at
    > > the properties of the folders there is 0 bytes of info.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hotdog Dave

    > >> What are the names of the files (or at least some of them) and where
    > >> are they located?
    > >>

    > >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > >> --
    > >> Microsoft MVP
    > >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    > >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > >>
    > >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >No luck Gerry
    >
    >The three folders remain as can't access and can't delete - "access denied".
    >they are empty folders named each named : travel, wine, property (can't cange
    >the names either!
    >
    >Thanks

    What happens if you boot the computer into Safe Mode and try deleting
    the folders from there?

    To start Windows XP in Safe Mode turn the computer on and start
    tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon as the first information of
    any kind shows on the screen. Keep tapping rapidly until the Windows
    XP Startup Menu appears and choose Safe Mode from the menu.

    In Safe Mode try deleting the files from the desktop first. If that
    doesn't work use Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\Documents
    and Settings\All Users\Desktop and/or to C:\Windows\Documents and
    Settings\<your user name>\Desktop and try deleting them from there.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks Ron

    No luck I'm afraid. Cant access or delete as denied. Says make sure the disk
    is not full or write protected or file not in use - I don't believe any of
    this applies though.

    Any other clues?

    Continued thanks.
    --
    Hotdog Dave

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >No luck Gerry
    > >
    > >The three folders remain as can't access and can't delete - "access denied".
    > >they are empty folders named each named : travel, wine, property (can't cange
    > >the names either!
    > >
    > >Thanks
    >
    > What happens if you boot the computer into Safe Mode and try deleting
    > the folders from there?
    >
    > To start Windows XP in Safe Mode turn the computer on and start
    > tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon as the first information of
    > any kind shows on the screen. Keep tapping rapidly until the Windows
    > XP Startup Menu appears and choose Safe Mode from the menu.
    >
    > In Safe Mode try deleting the files from the desktop first. If that
    > doesn't work use Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\Documents
    > and Settings\All Users\Desktop and/or to C:\Windows\Documents and
    > Settings\<your user name>\Desktop and try deleting them from there.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP