Can't delete file

I have been trying to delete some files but when I attempt this I get a
message saying 'Access Denied'

How do I get around this?
--
Hotdog Dave

"Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have been trying to delete some files but when I attempt this I get a
>message saying 'Access Denied'
>
>How do I get around this?

What are the names of the files (or at least some of them) and where
are they located?

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Thanks for the response

The files are actually, now that I think of it, only folders. There are two
folders inside one which is on the desktop and they contain nothing at all! I
can open the desktop folder but not those contained in it! When looking at
the properties of the folders there is 0 bytes of info.

--
Hotdog Dave

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have been trying to delete some files but when I attempt this I get a
> >message saying 'Access Denied'
> >
> >How do I get around this?
>
> What are the names of the files (or at least some of them) and where
> are they located?
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Go to Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings and
verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked
and "Hide protected operating system files " is unchecked. You may need
to scroll down to see the second item.

If you make any changes regarding hidden files etc are any files then
visible in the folders?

What are the names of these folders?

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the response
>
> The files are actually, now that I think of it, only folders. There
> are two
> folders inside one which is on the desktop and they contain nothing at
> all! I
> can open the desktop folder but not those contained in it! When
> looking at
> the properties of the folders there is 0 bytes of info.
>
> --
> Hotdog Dave
>

> "Ron Martell" wrote:
>
>> "Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have been trying to delete some files but when I attempt this I
>> >get a
>> >message saying 'Access Denied'
>> >
>> >How do I get around this?
>>
>> What are the names of the files (or at least some of them) and where
>> are they located?
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

No luck Gerry

The three folders remain as can't access and can't delete - "access denied".
they are empty folders named each named : travel, wine, property (can't cange
the names either!

Thanks
--
Hotdog Dave

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Go to Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings and
> verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked
> and "Hide protected operating system files " is unchecked. You may need
> to scroll down to see the second item.
>
> If you make any changes regarding hidden files etc are any files then
> visible in the folders?
>
> What are the names of these folders?
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> "Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the response
> >
> > The files are actually, now that I think of it, only folders. There
> > are two
> > folders inside one which is on the desktop and they contain nothing at
> > all! I
> > can open the desktop folder but not those contained in it! When
> > looking at
> > the properties of the folders there is 0 bytes of info.
> >
> > --
> > Hotdog Dave

> >> What are the names of the files (or at least some of them) and where
> >> are they located?
> >>

> >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> >> --
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> On-Line Help Computer Service
> >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> >>
> >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"Hotdog Dave" <HotdogDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No luck Gerry
>
>The three folders remain as can't access and can't delete - "access denied".
>they are empty folders named each named : travel, wine, property (can't cange
>the names either!
>
>Thanks

What happens if you boot the computer into Safe Mode and try deleting
the folders from there?

To start Windows XP in Safe Mode turn the computer on and start
tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon as the first information of
any kind shows on the screen. Keep tapping rapidly until the Windows
XP Startup Menu appears and choose Safe Mode from the menu.

In Safe Mode try deleting the files from the desktop first. If that
doesn't work use Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\Documents
and Settings\All Users\Desktop and/or to C:\Windows\Documents and
Settings\<your user name>\Desktop and try deleting them from there.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Thanks Ron

No luck I'm afraid. Cant access or delete as denied. Says make sure the disk
is not full or write protected or file not in use - I don't believe any of
this applies though.

Any other clues?

Continued thanks.
--