I just DIYed a new PC up last week consisting of the following:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0E
MSI 865PE PFISR
2 x 256MB Corsair XMS CL2 memory
LG 12x Multiformat DVD-Writer
Sony 1.44MB Floppy drive
120GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Chaintech FX5900XT 128MB
Centurion 1 case w/ 2 x 80mm fans (1 back 1 front)
AeroCool Extreme CPU cooler
HEC 435W Power Op PSU

the problem i have is that i noticed that the PSU runs pretty hot. If i close the whole casing and go play a game like Quake3 for 30mins, the metal around the PSU will be very very hot. So hot that i can barely keep my palm on it. its a bit better if i dont close the top cover..

Since the CPU is near the PSU(flaw of ATX design i feel.. since the PSU will just suck in the hot CPU exhaust), i'll list out the temp recordings....
~~~ With cover on: No-load - 53C... Load - 70++C!
~~~ With cover off: No-load - 51C... Load - 60++C
I live in the tropics with ambient of high 20s and low 30s being the norm. Nor do i have aircon in my room... >_<

so is this a problem a problem with the PSU? or is 435W too little to support what i have???

Any advice will be good since i just bought components a couple o days ago. Going down to the shop to ask the guy and see if i can swap for a higher capacity or a new one if its due to over heating..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That "flaw" of ATX design is actually a feature. The power supply is supposed to have a bottom fan pulling heat off the CPU and blowing it out the case. That actually works well, except that most power supplies don't have the fan in the right place.

I'd consider putting a better fan in the PSU unless you can return it for exchange.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

chasepack

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
its strength and its flaw.. in a way... yea...

the fan does pull a fair amount through it... but the PSU is still hot for some reason. it has dual fans... one to pull in air from its 'bottom' and another to push out fan. From what I feel, the 2 fans pull a fair amount of air through, hence the temp of the CPU isnt too high per se. But it is the PSU itself that is very hot. The weird thing is that the fair amount of air getting blown out dont feel overly hot. In fact it felt only somewhat warm when the PSU case is near scorching hot...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like a design issue with the power supply, the heatsinks are probably in contact with the housing yet not getting enough airflow past them to cool properly. It sounds like the bulk of air is being somehow diverted away from the sinks, or the sinks aren't designed properly to make use of their surface area.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>