making a proxy server?

G

//old post about ICS
Is there a way to get internet connection sharing to work in NT? I currently use a win2k box for my server/router, but it won't support my HP CD-Writer 9100 Plus. The burner supposedly works in NT, but I don't wanna lose my ICS capabilities here. Also, if I can't use ICS, are there any workarounds that allow me to use an NT server and a win98 box on the same connection? I really don't wanna buy a router...
//end of old post

Ok, I've been doing a bit more research, and it seems that I could run NT4 and make it into a proxy server, and still use my NIC hardware setup to share the same internet connection. If I do this, will I be able to run ICQ and counterstrike through the proxy server? I use the server to serve FTP, http, and counterstrike.:p What functionality (if any) would I lose by using a proxy server as opposed to win2k and ICS? Also, if I do this, is there a way I can access my dorm network from the win98 (client) box? And one more thing--can anyone recommend some good (free) proxy software for this?

G

It might not be relevant, but have you considered using some NAT routing software? They provide virtually the same flexibility as ICS, and can be found for virtually any platform. Should solve your problem, methinks