dave1233345

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005
i've recently merged 3 paritions on partition magic 1 of these contained a large amount of data(upto 4gb). well i don't know what went wrong but the partitions are merged but the files are missing. the files arn't deleted but are somehow hidden which is making it really hard for file recovery software to spot. however 1 peice of software can see it, virtuallab: http://www.binarybiz.com/vlab/windows.php.

problem is this software will cost me over a 100$ to download 100k of recovery. and for 4gb comes to 130$!

quick questions:

can i see the files on the disk?(in windows)
nope. in virtuallab they show up inside a folder i created. however if i try to enter this folder in windows it says access is denied.

did i backup?
no :(

if i right click on the harddrive does it show disk space as being used?
it shows in windows as a complete blank harddrive, with 1 folder inside.

what file recovery software have i tried?
about every single link that comes in google(first page mainly) when ya put in file recovery software.

setup, OS etc?
2 sata harddrives, both 80gb but my OS drive is a raptor my other is just a 72,000rpm(the 1 with the problem). and i;m on windows xp pro
--------------

fact is peeps i want to get my files back as cheaply as possible

thanks for reading guys

riser

Illustrious
You probably will need to take ownership of the folder through an administrator account. You can right click the folder, go to properties, security, advanced, Owner tab and switch ownership over to your account. You should get access at that point.

dave1233345

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005
sorry you've missed me by a mile.. this is totally unrelated to security.. the folder is empty with or without access (the files are written onto the harddrive) but are hidden(not by access or security) but in a state of it been deleted

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Have you tried logging on as Administrator via Safe Mode?

Personally, I'm not sure if it will help, but at this point, it just might be worth a shot. One other idea that comes to mind is to check the OS drive for that same folder you specified as you set up the Merge process. Just check the C:\ drive (root directory).

Well I'm not going take the time to Google to see what you've tried, but this is free I've used it and it works, it has to be installed on the working booting HDD to scan the HDD with the problem. <A HREF="http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm" target="_new"> PC Inspector </A>

<A HREF="http://btvillarin.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=20385#p20385" target="_new"> My Puter </A>

riser

Illustrious
I didn't ask if everyone had access.

I told you to take ownership of the files because you said when you attempted to into the folder, you didn't have access. Why? Because you don't have ownership.

dave1233345

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005
yes i have tried what you've said.. it didn't work.. it opens the folder and folder is empty.. believe me guys the files have been lost(as in deleted).. there unrecoverable by accessing the files

riser

Illustrious
But you said you could see them but couldn't access them because they were invisible.. which is normally an ownership problem which has been covered several times.

You might want to consider restating your problem and be a little more clear in it.. takin ownership of the folder would be the first step.. try running any type of recovery program and see if they show up.. if not, you're SOL. if they do, take the next step.

dave1233345

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005
if you had read my problem fully you would known that the files are only visible VirtualLab a file peice of file recovery software...

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
The loss of files usually occurs when there has been some kind of interruption during the merge process, such as a shut down. Anything like a brown-out or black-out occur in your area/household? Anyone accidentally turn off the computer before the process finished?

Chances are your answers are 'no' to my questions.

At this point, since you are unable to take ownership, here are your options:
1. Have a technician look at it in person.
2. Purchase the data recovery software.
3. Accept the loss.

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Dave,

Thank YOU for showing us the kind of person you are. I'll be saving the link to this thread so that other posts you make will include the link. Others who read your new thread will see how you handle people's help.

dave1233345

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005
trying to help and bein stupid are completerly different.. i mean the question was... recommedn me some file reocdveyr software.. i havn't even got 1 [-peep-] name yet!