chkdsk returns "Windows found problems with the file syste..

I've been having problems getting Firefox to load consistently, especially a
second or third time. Figured maybe there was a disk or file system problem,
so I ran chkdsk in the read-only mode. It reported "correcting errors in the
master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute" and "correcting errors in the
Volume Bitmap." So I rebooted to have it run chkdsk /F, which ran and
reported the volume clean.

I ran chkdsk again in the read-only mode to see what it would find and it
reported it was deleting the index entries for about 3 dozen files, mostly
DLLs. Then it choked and said it couldn't continue in read-only mode.

So I ran chkdsk /F again, got a clean report, then ran chkdsk again in
read-only and it reported correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

The system seems to take an inordinate amount of time to boot and every
operation seems to be slower than in the past, especially after it has been
running for a while after a reboot. Already checked for viruses and spyware
and that's a negative. Have also uninstalled Firefox, which seems to be
causing everyone problems at the moment.

I sure don't want to have to wipe this disk and reinstall XP. I've got SP1
and SP2 and all the patches installed and it would be very difficult to start
over with a clean install.

Please help.

The file system problem I'm having may be completely unrelated to the
Firefox problem, but try something for me. Run chkdsk on your boot drive and
see if it reports problems with the file system or deletes a bunch of index
entries. I've run chkdsk in the read-only mode a number of times and it
always reports that it has corrected errors in the master file table's (MFT)
BITMAP attribute or corrected errors in the Volume Bitmap.

I restored the system to a restore point in early April and then ran chkdsk
in read-only mode and it deleted a couple dozen index entries for a couple
dozen dlls and other files and then it quit saying it couldn't continue. I've
run chkdsk /F from a reboot at least a dozen times and it doesn't seem to be
correcting the errors because when I run chkdsk again in the read-only mode
it reports problems with the file system.

As I say, this may have nothing at all to do with Firefox, but the two
issues seemed to crop up about the same time, so I wonder if it's more than a
coincidence.

CHKDSK C: /F Is limited in its repair ability.You should boot to xp
cd,recovery,
press enter key for password,then type:CHKDSK C: /R You can/could run from
cmd,but from cd is best.

"Cleveland Mike" wrote:

> I've been having problems getting Firefox to load consistently, especially a
> second or third time. Figured maybe there was a disk or file system problem,
> so I ran chkdsk in the read-only mode. It reported "correcting errors in the
> master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute" and "correcting errors in the
> Volume Bitmap." So I rebooted to have it run chkdsk /F, which ran and
> reported the volume clean.
>
> I ran chkdsk again in the read-only mode to see what it would find and it
> reported it was deleting the index entries for about 3 dozen files, mostly
> DLLs. Then it choked and said it couldn't continue in read-only mode.
>
> So I ran chkdsk /F again, got a clean report, then ran chkdsk again in
> read-only and it reported correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
>
> The system seems to take an inordinate amount of time to boot and every
> operation seems to be slower than in the past, especially after it has been
> running for a while after a reboot. Already checked for viruses and spyware
> and that's a negative. Have also uninstalled Firefox, which seems to be
> causing everyone problems at the moment.
>
> I sure don't want to have to wipe this disk and reinstall XP. I've got SP1
> and SP2 and all the patches installed and it would be very difficult to start
> over with a clean install.
>
> Please help.
>
> The file system problem I'm having may be completely unrelated to the
> Firefox problem, but try something for me. Run chkdsk on your boot drive and
> see if it reports problems with the file system or deletes a bunch of index
> entries. I've run chkdsk in the read-only mode a number of times and it
> always reports that it has corrected errors in the master file table's (MFT)
> BITMAP attribute or corrected errors in the Volume Bitmap.
>
> I restored the system to a restore point in early April and then ran chkdsk
> in read-only mode and it deleted a couple dozen index entries for a couple
> dozen dlls and other files and then it quit saying it couldn't continue. I've
> run chkdsk /F from a reboot at least a dozen times and it doesn't seem to be
> correcting the errors because when I run chkdsk again in the read-only mode
> it reports problems with the file system.
>
> As I say, this may have nothing at all to do with Firefox, but the two
> issues seemed to crop up about the same time, so I wonder if it's more than a
> coincidence.

I have indeed run chkdsk /R several times, but the results have not changed.
I was just trying to keep my post as short as possible.

"Cleveland Mike" <ClevelandMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have indeed run chkdsk /R several times, but the results have not changed.
>I was just trying to keep my post as short as possible.

Go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site and download their
diagnostic utility and run it to check out the drive. There could be
a defect.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--