Sign in with
Your question

Would this Desktop run SWTOR?

Last response: in Video Games
January 14, 2012 5:59:33 PM

I've been interested in getting Star Wars: The Old Republic recently, but would need a new computer for it. I've seen a lot of people have problems when it comes to playing TOR, so I came here to ask if you guys think this computer would run the game well.

The settings I would want to be aiming for would (preferably) be all all settings on high with no shadows and no AA.

The computer is a Dell XPS 8300

8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit
500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
AMD Radeon™ HD 6770
Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor

I'm most interested in:

How the Radeon 6770 as a video card would hold up against this game on high.
Knowing what resolution I would be able to run the game smoothly at.
About what FPS I could expect from this rig.

Also, I know I would get more bang for the buck from building my own computer. However, I just don't have the time to do that now.

Thanks for all the help!

Don't...
Bump posts
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

More about : desktop run swtor

January 17, 2012 3:22:46 PM

drop the processor to a i2500k and up the video card to a 6850 and you'll have a great system for SWTOR

2500-2600 is tiny difference in performance

6770-6850 is a big difference in performance
January 21, 2012 2:46:53 PM

jwolf24601 said:
drop the processor to a i2500k and up the video card to a 6850 and you'll have a great system for SWTOR

2500-2600 is tiny difference in performance

6770-6850 is a big difference in performance

I would if I could, but the computer is being bought from dell and they only have certain options.

Do you think a 6850 would fit in the case? So if I order the desktop and it doesn't run the game well, I could just drop in a new PSU and GPU?
Related resources
January 22, 2012 3:59:11 PM

Yes it should fit fine, but the 460w power supply that comes with it might not be strong enough to run it.

The 6770 should do ok, don't know about everything on high though, might have to turn off shadows.
January 23, 2012 8:42:32 PM

jwolf24601 said:
Yes it should fit fine, but the 460w power supply that comes with it might not be strong enough to run it.

The 6770 should do ok, don't know about everything on high though, might have to turn off shadows.

I was a bit worried about the PSU. I suppose if I have to, I'll just swap it out later on.

I don't care much about the shadows. People seem to have a ton of problems when they try to have them on, and I'd be perfectly fine having them off or as low as possible.

Any idea what resolution I can most likely play at and still have ~30 FPS? I'd like to play in 1080p, but if I can't without most likely having serious lag then that's fine.
January 24, 2012 2:11:52 PM

jwolf24601 said:
With AA and shadows off, I would think that is doable.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-te...

Good to hear.

Do you think the 6850 or 6870 would be much better? I'm sort of hesitant to build my own because of the coding problems, but the dell I was looking at just went up in price so now I don't really want it.
January 24, 2012 4:04:27 PM

The Refugee said:
Good to hear.

Do you think the 6850 or 6870 would be much better? I'm sort of hesitant to build my own because of the coding problems, but the dell I was looking at just went up in price so now I don't really want it.

The 6850 and 6870 would be a nice difference. Since it went up in price try newegg.com and their comps. All different brands and some nice and cheap, some people complain but before I built my own I bought one from cyberpowerpc and it rocked. That being said building a computer is pretty fool proof and easy nowdays. You can really toss parts around and they will still work. I'd recommend giving it a shot. You dont have to worry about "coding problems". Its as simple as get parts, mount cpu and ram into mother board, mount PSU into case, mount mother board in case, install vid card and HD, plug in cords and fire it up. Your windows install CD will do the rest. It is seriously easy, Ive built about 10-15 computers and I can get them from boxes to installed and booted to the desktop in 40 minutes. Have faith! :) 
January 24, 2012 5:26:17 PM

You would save a lot by purchasing components seperately. Also 4 DIMMs 8gb setup? Just avoid this computer is my honest opinion. The gpu is behind the times quite considerably, and you could get almost twice the performance and more reliable components if you purchase yourself and assemble it. There are youtube videos that explain computer assembly in such a way that anyone would be comfortable with the process. I really recommend looking into this and then making your decision.
January 24, 2012 6:11:26 PM

casualcolors said:
You would save a lot by purchasing components seperately. Also 4 DIMMs 8gb setup? Just avoid this computer is my honest opinion. The gpu is behind the times quite considerably, and you could get almost twice the performance and more reliable components if you purchase yourself and assemble it. There are youtube videos that explain computer assembly in such a way that anyone would be comfortable with the process. I really recommend looking into this and then making your decision.

That is starting to look like the better option. A few guys I know are part of a gaming club, and they can put together computers fairly easily (heck, they built one into a cardboard box).

I saw the newegg video on making a computer, and it looked fairly straightforward. The only part I'm worried about is making sure all of the parts are able to work with one another, and the actual install of windows.

envymert said:
The 6850 and 6870 would be a nice difference. Since it went up in price try newegg.com and their comps. All different brands and some nice and cheap, some people complain but before I built my own I bought one from cyberpowerpc and it rocked. That being said building a computer is pretty fool proof and easy nowdays. You can really toss parts around and they will still work. I'd recommend giving it a shot. You dont have to worry about "coding problems". Its as simple as get parts, mount cpu and ram into mother board, mount PSU into case, mount mother board in case, install vid card and HD, plug in cords and fire it up. Your windows install CD will do the rest. It is seriously easy, Ive built about 10-15 computers and I can get them from boxes to installed and booted to the desktop in 40 minutes. Have faith! :) 

I've been going on newegg quite a bit. The part that would always drive the price through the roof was Windows 7, but a friend of mine says he would be able to get it for me. Nothing suspicious about that :whistle: 

The coding problems I'm talking about aren't mine, but rather the actual games. It seems a lot of people even with high end rigs have quite a difficult time running the game for whatever reason.

January 24, 2012 6:14:43 PM

Trust me, windows is an easy install. And the odds are that you'll pay better attention to what features you're installing than someone assembling a computer at dell. Really with these pre-assembled computers you pay 30-40% markups for what comes down to less than 3 hours of assembly time. It's fine for grandma and grandpa, but there is no sense to it if you are even remotely tech savvy.
January 24, 2012 6:38:13 PM

Alright, that makes me feel a bit better about approaching this.

I greatly appreciate all the help guys!
!