Chkdsk gives undefined error

I have a computer with XP home that I am trying to get back into working
order.
chkdsk /r has repeatedly given an undefined error message. It has also given
File segment 58964 unreadable. I have run it from XP and using the XP cd as
the startup disk.

I have another hard drive in the machine, can I copy it over OR back it up
to that drive and then reformat the original drive and copy it back?

The 2nd hard drive is only 8 gig but the bad one is a newer 40 gig drive
that I would like to use full time, if I can get it to be consistently
healthy. I also don't want to have to reinstall every service back and bit of
software I already have on it.

I have run the latest Norton antivirus and the MS Antispyware, so the drives
are clean.

Thanks for any tips.
1 answer Last reply
More about chkdsk undefined error

    You can use several imaging software to copy from on hd to the other. On the
    list:
    Ghostpro from Norton
    Sysprep from Microsoft
    Partimage (open source software)

    "Jeff" wrote:

    > I have a computer with XP home that I am trying to get back into working
    > order.
    > chkdsk /r has repeatedly given an undefined error message. It has also given
    > File segment 58964 unreadable. I have run it from XP and using the XP cd as
    > the startup disk.
    >
    > I have another hard drive in the machine, can I copy it over OR back it up
    > to that drive and then reformat the original drive and copy it back?
    >
    > The 2nd hard drive is only 8 gig but the bad one is a newer 40 gig drive
    > that I would like to use full time, if I can get it to be consistently
    > healthy. I also don't want to have to reinstall every service back and bit of
    > software I already have on it.
    >
    > I have run the latest Norton antivirus and the MS Antispyware, so the drives
    > are clean.
    >
    > Thanks for any tips.

Chkdsk Windows XP