Chkdsk gives undefined error

May 4, 2005 10:50:04 AM

I have a computer with XP home that I am trying to get back into working
order.
chkdsk /r has repeatedly given an undefined error message. It has also given
File segment 58964 unreadable. I have run it from XP and using the XP cd as
the startup disk.

I have another hard drive in the machine, can I copy it over OR back it up
to that drive and then reformat the original drive and copy it back?

The 2nd hard drive is only 8 gig but the bad one is a newer 40 gig drive
that I would like to use full time, if I can get it to be consistently
healthy. I also don't want to have to reinstall every service back and bit of
software I already have on it.

I have run the latest Norton antivirus and the MS Antispyware, so the drives
are clean.

Thanks for any tips.

More about : chkdsk undefined error

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 10:36:07 AM

You can use several imaging software to copy from on hd to the other. On the
list:
Ghostpro from Norton
Sysprep from Microsoft
Partimage (open source software)