Sign in with
Your question

Antec or pcpower&cooling PSU

Last response: in Components
September 2, 2004 6:08:34 AM

Hello guys I want to buy a good PSU and I have read many reviews and I got two finalist the antec true control 550W or the pcpower&cooling turbocool 510W deluxe, you see I like to overclock my system high and my fortron 400w PSU lacks of enough punch, wich one do you recommend.

My system: P4 2.8Ghz@3.6Ghz, Ati9500@9700, 4x256mb princeton DDR RAM 266@410mhz, Asus P4P800, 2 HD 80 gb seagate, westerndigital, DVD+/-RW 8x liteon, CD-RW 48x liteon, sounblaster live x-gamer, thermaltake spark7+ 7000rpm fan, 5x80mm fans

Thanks for your attention, I hope you could answer.
September 2, 2004 6:45:03 AM

I'd go to a Fortron Source or Sparkle Power 530W, but since you have unwanted extra money, you might as well get the PC Power&Cooling unit.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 2, 2004 1:51:20 PM

Thanks for answering, it's not that I've a lot of money it's just that I don't want any trouble with my PSU
Thats what I have read but my system keeps hanging again and again so I just disconnect the fans and the ati card and connected to a x PSU its when the PSU hangs only after a while so I suppose its the PSU any idea, the low voltage registered by MBM are 3.21v, 11.34v, 4.89v, not tested yet with multimeter, the curios thing is that it hangs when I¡'m using internet u office, but when I run prime95, burnbx, burnmmx, burnp6, or hotpatatoes works well
I almost forgot I've discard virus because I've try norton or panda and neither of them have dectected something, and I have done many clean installations and the problem still there, and with only the fortron I just can overclock to 3.2Ghz and with two PSU to 3.6 Ghz but keeps hanging, any ideas.
Related resources
September 3, 2004 12:20:32 AM

I love my Fortron Source but I would have bought a PCP&C if I had the extra cash.
September 3, 2004 4:21:19 AM

Sometimes the Fortrons are adjusted a hair low, but it shouldn't have much fluctuation (less than a tenth of a volt even under extreme loads). If your's is fluctuating you might have a bad unit, it should be covered under warranty (I've never seen a bad Fortron less than 8 years old, but it could happen). Fortrons are adjustable, so if you're a real geek you could try adjusting the voltages from the potentiometers inside.

11.34v sounds a bit low on the 12v line for a fortron. Usually they're fixed at 11.9-12.1v and won't budge under load.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 3, 2004 4:32:34 AM

Guess what I've read in other forums that the fortron PSU have voltage mod pots, so I decided to try and yes it was there so I turn it all the way to the right and voilla now my lowest records on MBM are 3.25v, 5.30v, 12.28, and my system looks stable but I'll keep testing for any flaws. thanks everyone for the help, and have a nice day
!