No activation screen

May 4, 2005 4:10:03 PM

I have had my computer for over a year now, so, my windows has been up and
running, regiestered and legal.... I have done a 'full recovery' before, and
it worked beutifully, restored my computer to its original state, more or
less, cleaned everything out....was working fine.... however, recently, I
kept getting a message about a currupt windows file.... sooooo.....because I
did not want to lose the data I now have, I did a 'safe recovery'...... (ya,
ya, should have done a back up - put my trust in microsoft tho)......
anyway.... now when I start my computer.... it boots up like normal, gets to
the user account screen (I have two user accounts, both are adminstrator
status).... doesn't matter which one I click on it says "windows must be
activtated... do you want to activate now".... I click Yes, it goes into the
account, but, that's it.... all I see is blue sky and a green field (my
screensaver).... nothing else.... no icons, no start bar... nothing... blue
sky and field.. that's all.... from here it goes nowhere... have to push the
restart on the computer to get it to reboot.....

I have tried calling microsofts help and support.... you get somewhere in
New Dhelli, India.. you can't understand half the things they are saying...
it's static... and I got cut off several times... each time having to call
back .. and go thru the whole thing over (and over) again... explaining the
situtation... transferred back and forth from activation to technical....
very very frustrating.... in the end I got cut off again, and gave up....

So far, nobody has been able to tell me how I can activate windows when you
can't get the activation screen to come up...... can't be done in safe
mode... which is another beef of mine,.... why have a diagnostice mode, if
you can't do diagnostics... grrrrrrr.... very frustrating.....

I did get a hold of one person that actually spoke english... and she said
pay $36 for tech help..... Why should I have to pay 36 bucks to activate
windows... very very frustrated...... grrrrrrrrrr.....
hope SOMEONE can help.....

More about : activation screen

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:57:10 PM

Sram wrote:
> I have had my computer for over a year now, so, my windows has been
> up and running, regiestered and legal.... I have done a 'full
> recovery' before, and it worked beutifully, restored my computer to
> its original state, more or less, cleaned everything out....was
> working fine.... however, recently, I kept getting a message about a
> currupt windows file.... sooooo.....because I did not want to lose
> the data I now have, I did a 'safe recovery'...... (ya, ya, should
> have done a back up - put my trust in microsoft tho)...... anyway....
> now when I start my computer.... it boots up like normal, gets to the
> user account screen (I have two user accounts, both are adminstrator
> status).... doesn't matter which one I click on it says "windows must
> be activtated... do you want to activate now".... I click Yes, it
> goes into the account, but, that's it.... all I see is blue sky and a
> green field (my screensaver).... nothing else.... no icons, no start
> bar... nothing... blue sky and field.. that's all.... from here it
> goes nowhere... have to push the restart on the computer to get it to
> reboot.....
>
> I have tried calling microsofts help and support.... you get
> somewhere in New Dhelli, India.. you can't understand half the
> things they are saying... it's static... and I got cut off several
> times... each time having to call back .. and go thru the whole thing
> over (and over) again... explaining the situtation... transferred
> back and forth from activation to technical.... very very
> frustrating.... in the end I got cut off again, and gave up....
>
> So far, nobody has been able to tell me how I can activate windows
> when you can't get the activation screen to come up...... can't be
> done in safe mode... which is another beef of mine,.... why have a
> diagnostice mode, if you can't do diagnostics... grrrrrrr.... very
> frustrating.....
>
> I did get a hold of one person that actually spoke english... and she
> said pay $36 for tech help..... Why should I have to pay 36 bucks to
> activate windows... very very frustrated...... grrrrrrrrrr.....
> hope SOMEONE can help....

What brand of computer do you have?
From your post, it seems as though you have an OEM recovery disk or
partition for XP. Is that the case?
When you first got your computer, did it require activation?
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 9:36:36 PM

"Sram" <Sram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have had my computer for over a year now, so, my windows has been up and
>running, regiestered and legal.... I have done a 'full recovery' before, and
>it worked beutifully, restored my computer to its original state, more or
>less, cleaned everything out....was working fine.... however, recently, I
>kept getting a message about a currupt windows file.... sooooo.....because I
>did not want to lose the data I now have, I did a 'safe recovery'...... (ya,
>ya, should have done a back up - put my trust in microsoft tho)......
>anyway.... now when I start my computer.... it boots up like normal, gets to
>the user account screen (I have two user accounts, both are adminstrator
>status).... doesn't matter which one I click on it says "windows must be
>activtated... do you want to activate now".... I click Yes, it goes into the
>account, but, that's it.... all I see is blue sky and a green field (my
>screensaver).... nothing else.... no icons, no start bar... nothing... blue
>sky and field.. that's all.... from here it goes nowhere... have to push the
>restart on the computer to get it to reboot.....
>
>I have tried calling microsofts help and support.... you get somewhere in
>New Dhelli, India.. you can't understand half the things they are saying...
>it's static... and I got cut off several times... each time having to call
>back .. and go thru the whole thing over (and over) again... explaining the
>situtation... transferred back and forth from activation to technical....
>very very frustrating.... in the end I got cut off again, and gave up....
>
>So far, nobody has been able to tell me how I can activate windows when you
>can't get the activation screen to come up...... can't be done in safe
>mode... which is another beef of mine,.... why have a diagnostice mode, if
>you can't do diagnostics... grrrrrrr.... very frustrating.....
>
>I did get a hold of one person that actually spoke english... and she said
>pay $36 for tech help..... Why should I have to pay 36 bucks to activate
>windows... very very frustrated...... grrrrrrrrrr.....
>hope SOMEONE can help.....

Can you boot into Windows XP at all? How about booting into Safe Mode
- does that work?

If you can get the machine to boot at all, even in Safe Mode, then try
repairing the registry entries for the .DLL files used by activation.

Use Start- Run and enter the following text in the dialog box:
regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll

Then do it again with the following text:
regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

Launch activation manually:
%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP