Restoring lost printer driver

May 5, 2005 12:04:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I have an older printer. I am trying to reinstall it after mucking things
up a bit with the manufacturer's printer driver. The MS driver that comes
with Windows has a problem, though. I have lost parts of it. When I bring
up server properties the driver is listed as being on my computer, but one
of the files <Deleted> is not on my computer. Yes, I know
how to change search settings to search for all hidden and system files.
This tells me I need to somehow restore the original MS driver. I assume it
is on my Windows XP disk. Does anyone know a procedure for restoring one
particular driver from the Windows disk?

When I try to install the printer through the Windows hardware wizard
there's some odd behavior that it would be pointless to go through. The
problem is restoring the driver.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:09:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

The "<Deleted>" below may look silly, but the reason I did it is because
if I leave the file name in the text, Microsoft's server thinks I am
illegally
posting a file and removes the message altogether.

"Larry Newhouse" <newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o M87Y5QUFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have an older printer. I am trying to reinstall it after mucking things
> up a bit with the manufacturer's printer driver. The MS driver that comes
> with Windows has a problem, though. I have lost parts of it. When I
> bring
> up server properties the driver is listed as being on my computer, but one
> of the files <Deleted> is not on my computer. Yes, I know
> how to change search settings to search for all hidden and system files.
> This tells me I need to somehow restore the original MS driver. I assume
> it
> is on my Windows XP disk. Does anyone know a procedure for restoring one
> particular driver from the Windows disk?
>
> When I try to install the printer through the Windows hardware wizard
> there's some odd behavior that it would be pointless to go through. The
> problem is restoring the driver.

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 3:09:00 PM

Larry Newhouse wrote:
> The "<Deleted>" below may look silly, but the reason I did it is because
> if I leave the file name in the text, Microsoft's server thinks I am
> illegally
> posting a file and removes the message altogether.
>
> "Larry Newhouse" <newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o M87Y5QUFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>I have an older printer. I am trying to reinstall it after mucking things
>>up a bit with the manufacturer's printer driver. The MS driver that comes
>>with Windows has a problem, though. I have lost parts of it. When I
>>bring
>>up server properties the driver is listed as being on my computer, but one
>>of the files <Deleted> is not on my computer. Yes, I know
>>how to change search settings to search for all hidden and system files.
>>This tells me I need to somehow restore the original MS driver. I assume
>>it
>>is on my Windows XP disk. Does anyone know a procedure for restoring one
>>particular driver from the Windows disk?
>>
>>When I try to install the printer through the Windows hardware wizard
>>there's some odd behavior that it would be pointless to go through. The
>>problem is restoring the driver.

I'd manually remove all references to the driver and reinstall. When
prompted for the location of the driver, point the wizard back to the
Windows CD.