Kyocera QCP 6035

[Repost of recent follow-up to old thread.]

On 2004-12-23, Fred <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm sure I know the answer but I'll ask anyway. I am looking for a
> relatively economical cell phone that is both a phone & a Palm Pilot. I
> know something like the Treo is very much out of my price range but I am
> only looking for those two features (phone & Palm). I don't care if I can
> check email or even have any web access, cameras, Bluetooth, or any of that
> stuff. Does such an anima exist?

I recently cracked the screen on my Motorola v60c, so I'm looking for something
like this too. I like the Palm platform and an integrated phone would mean
I'd be able to actually sync my phonelist, because I'm a Linux desktop user.
I'm not terribly interested in using it for e-mail, WAP, camera, (well,
I am interested in using it for SMS).

The prices I'm seeing for the 7135 are a bit out of my price range.
The Kyocera QCP 6035 seems like an ideal phone for me and they seem to
be plentiful on eBay for around $50. Aside from being bulky, are there
technical limitations that one should be aware of? Anyone know

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/qcp-6035-smartphone/

Wil
--
Wil Cooley wcooley@nakedape.cc
Naked Ape Consulting http://nakedape.cc

Begin Wil Cooley quote:

; The prices I'm seeing for the 7135 are a bit out of my price range.
; The Kyocera QCP 6035 seems like an ideal phone for me and they seem to
; be plentiful on eBay for around $50. Aside from being bulky, are there
; technical limitations that one should be aware of? Anyone know

Aside from the format of the device, the 6035 has OS3.something, a
16MHtz CPU, a greyscale display, and no expansion slot vs the 7135's
OS4.1, a 33MHtz CPU, 16bit color display and an SDIO/MMC slot.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Hypnosis. You know, I'm not a big fan of that bark like a chicken,
cluck like a dog stuff." - Jack O'Neill, SG1

On 2005-01-10, Jeffrey Kaplan <acv@gordol.org> wrote:
> Begin Wil Cooley quote:
>
> ; The prices I'm seeing for the 7135 are a bit out of my price range.
> ; The Kyocera QCP 6035 seems like an ideal phone for me and they seem to
> ; be plentiful on eBay for around $50. Aside from being bulky, are there
> ; technical limitations that one should be aware of? Anyone know
>
> Aside from the format of the device, the 6035 has OS3.something, a
> 16MHtz CPU, a greyscale display, and no expansion slot vs the 7135's
> OS4.1, a 33MHtz CPU, 16bit color display and an SDIO/MMC slot.

Thanks; that's along the lines of what I wanted to know. I'm not
terribly concerned with the CPU, display or expansion slot--I'm
currently fairly happy with my 8MB IIIx, except that having a separate
phonelist in my phone has made the addressbook less useful.

What I am concerned about that I cannot answer readily from the Kyocera
site is:

o What is the latest version of PalmOS it'll run? Will it run "normal"
versions of PalmOS or does it require a specialized one from Kyocera?

o Will it still work "normally" on Verizon's network? (I assume so,
considering it's tri-mode CDMA and really not that old.)

Thanks!

Wil
--
Wil Cooley wcooley@nakedape.cc
Naked Ape Consulting http://nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *

I've had a number of 6035s for the last year or two.
Cracked the screen on one from a 2-3 foot drop.

The 6035 and 7135 are the only CDMA tri-mode phones I
know of, and Veriz isn't selling the 7135 for some reason.
There are places where only analog will work.

The 6035 crashes about once a week. I suspect some sort of
race condition. Three phones had the same problem.

Verizon seems intent on killing analog, hence no 7135.
The other Verizon smart phones have no analog, which makes
then not smart at all.

--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

Begin Wil Cooley quote:

; Thanks; that's along the lines of what I wanted to know. I'm not

You're welcome.

; terribly concerned with the CPU, display or expansion slot--I'm
; currently fairly happy with my 8MB IIIx, except that having a separate
; phonelist in my phone has made the addressbook less useful.

That's one of the things that went into my decision to get a smartphone
(Kyo 7135).

; What I am concerned about that I cannot answer readily from the Kyocera
; site is:
;
; o What is the latest version of PalmOS it'll run? Will it run "normal"

In theory, OS4. In practice, only what Kyocera has for it.

; versions of PalmOS or does it require a specialized one from Kyocera?

Only what Kyocera has for it. I believe that the 6035 was the first
Palm SmartPhone (the Handspring module merely made it popular). As
such, Qualcomm had to modify the OS in order to get the phone/PDA
integration.

OS upgrades is always at the discretion of the hardware vendor. I
don't think there is a single Palm hardware vendor out there that
hasn't customized the OS to some degree for their own hardware.
Whether it's technically upgradable or not comes down to whether the
ROM is flashable or not, and how large it is.

; o Will it still work "normally" on Verizon's network? (I assume so,
; considering it's tri-mode CDMA and really not that old.)

Yes, it should. You won't be able to get a 1xRTT data connection, but
you should be able to use the QNC data network, if you want.

--

"Chuck Forsberg" <caf@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
> I've had a number of 6035s for the last year or two.
> Cracked the screen on one from a 2-3 foot drop.

Hunh. I've dropped mine a couple times; no problem.

> The 6035 and 7135 are the only CDMA tri-mode phones I
> know of, and Veriz isn't selling the 7135 for some reason.
> There are places where only analog will work.
>
> The 6035 crashes about once a week. I suspect some sort of
> race condition. Three phones had the same problem.

Mine has never crashed. Of course, the only applications I added
to it were a couple games and minute counter. Never used it for
internet access.

> Verizon seems intent on killing analog, hence no 7135.
> The other Verizon smart phones have no analog, which makes
> then not smart at all.

I hope you are wrong, but suspect that you are right.

I'm waiting for a smart phone with analog and a replaceable chip for
extra storage.

Art

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:06:53 -0800, Chuck Forsberg
<caf@localhost.localdomain> wrote:

>The 6035 crashes about once a week. I suspect some sort of
>race condition. Three phones had the same problem.

Must be software you had on it. I had a 6035 on Sprint for a year, and
then recently a 6035 on Verizon for almost a year. No such weekly
crashes.

Begin Chuck Forsberg quote:

; The 6035 and 7135 are the only CDMA tri-mode phones I
; know of, and Veriz isn't selling the 7135 for some reason.

Depends on the individual store. The VZW owned store in the nearest
mall has the 7135, the VZW owned kiosk in the local Circuit City does
not. None have the 6035 as it's been replaced by the 7135.

As to these being the "only" trimode? Where are you looking? Unless
you're referring specifically to smartphones.

; Verizon seems intent on killing analog, hence no 7135.
; The other Verizon smart phones have no analog, which makes
; then not smart at all.

Digital has better battery life. Without analog, you can have smaller
phones for the rest of the same features. The presence of absence of
analog is not going to effect the choice of my next cellular upgrade.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." (HHGTTG,
Douglas Adams)

Begin Art S quote:

; I'm waiting for a smart phone with analog and a replaceable chip for
; extra storage.

The Kyocera 7135 PalmOS4 smartphone has analog and an SDIO/MMC slot.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I
wasn't previously aware of." (HHGGTG, Douglas Adams)

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:06:53 -0800, Chuck Forsberg wrote:

> The other Verizon smart phones have no analog, which makes
> then not smart at all.

It's not effective to transmit with data via analog. Besides, the majority
of smartphone users do so for business and operate in areas where digital
service is plentiful.

Also remember, analog drains the phone battery much faster.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:24:44 GMT, Art S wrote:

> I'm waiting for a smart phone with analog and a replaceable chip for
> extra storage.

I'd be amazed if one is offered. Analog is not a good choice for smart
phones.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:14:20 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:06:53 -0800, Chuck Forsberg
> <caf@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
>
>>The 6035 crashes about once a week. I suspect some sort of race
>>condition. Three phones had the same problem.
>
> Must be software you had on it. I had a 6035 on Sprint for a year, and
> then recently a 6035 on Verizon for almost a year. No such weekly crashes.

I use 4 apps on my 6035s: Phonebook, voice dial, calendar, and AvantGO
via Hotsync.

I am quite aware of analog's shortcomings. But there are places where
only analog will work, so digital only is not part of the solution.

What I'd like to see is a tri-mode GPS enabled PDA with an available
GPS application. The 7135 comes close.

--

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <acv@gordol.org> wrote in message
> Begin Art S quote:
>
> ; I'm waiting for a smart phone with analog and a replaceable chip for
> ; extra storage.
>
> The Kyocera 7135 PalmOS4 smartphone has analog and an SDIO/MMC slot.

Ah - I hadn't realized that. Thanks.

Art

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:24:15 -0800, Chuck Forsberg
<caf@localhost.localdomain> wrote:

>What I'd like to see is a tri-mode GPS enabled PDA with an available
>GPS application. The 7135 comes close.

If by close you mean the 7135 advertises GPS, but there's no way to
make use of it? ;)