MS does not offer SP2 direct download?

terry

I am trying to update Mom's machine and need to install sp2.

She's on dial up, so I would like to dl the update on my t1 from work and
bring it over.

I cannot find a single computer version, only the network/developers one,
for direct download. Will it also work on a single pc? I'd gladly waste
some disk space rather than the time it would take to dl @ 56k!!!

In the beginning I know they didn't offer the dl, but thought it was to be
able to provide it to the autoupdate customers first (which I will gladly
turn on afterwards!).

Windows Update checks the soul of each computer to determine what it needs
to be admitted to XP 2 heaven, so it won't do any good to download it from
your computer at work. The network version will work fine on your Mom's
computer, but it's a huge download. Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to
order an SP 2 CD directly from Microsoft. They're free. I understand that
free SP 2 CDs are also available through the major PC retailers, although I
haven't checked into this myself.

Modem Ani

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to update Mom's machine and need to install sp2.
>
> She's on dial up, so I would like to dl the update on my t1 from work and
> bring it over.
>
> I cannot find a single computer version, only the network/developers one,
> for direct download. Will it also work on a single pc? I'd gladly
waste
> some disk space rather than the time it would take to dl @ 56k!!!
>
> In the beginning I know they didn't offer the dl, but thought it was to be
> able to provide it to the autoupdate customers first (which I will gladly
> turn on afterwards!).

terry

Thanks this anwered my question very well...yeah I saw the cd offer, but did
not want to wait for it as I'll be restoring her whole hard drive tomorrow
(damn blue screen of death).

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> Windows Update checks the soul of each computer to determine what it needs
> to be admitted to XP 2 heaven, so it won't do any good to download it from
> your computer at work. The network version will work fine on your Mom's
> computer, but it's a huge download. Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to
> order an SP 2 CD directly from Microsoft. They're free. I understand that
> free SP 2 CDs are also available through the major PC retailers, although I
> haven't checked into this myself.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to update Mom's machine and need to install sp2.
> >
> > She's on dial up, so I would like to dl the update on my t1 from work and
> > bring it over.
> >
> > I cannot find a single computer version, only the network/developers one,
> > for direct download. Will it also work on a single pc? I'd gladly
> waste
> > some disk space rather than the time it would take to dl @ 56k!!!
> >
> > In the beginning I know they didn't offer the dl, but thought it was to be
> > able to provide it to the autoupdate customers first (which I will gladly
> > turn on afterwards!).

Just a thought: Post the name and/or number of the error code and someone
here might be able to solve it for you. You probably know that the name of
the error code is all in caps and underscore LIKE_THIS and the number is in
hex .

> Thanks this anwered my question very well...yeah I saw the cd offer, but
did
> not want to wait for it as I'll be restoring her whole hard drive tomorrow
> (damn blue screen of death).
>
> "Modem Ani" wrote:
>
> > Windows Update checks the soul of each computer to determine what it
needs
> > to be admitted to XP 2 heaven, so it won't do any good to download it
from
> > your computer at work. The network version will work fine on your Mom's
> > computer, but it's a huge download. Perhaps the easiest thing to do is
> > order an SP 2 CD directly from Microsoft. They're free. I understand
that
> > free SP 2 CDs are also available through the major PC retailers,
although I
> > haven't checked into this myself.
> >
> > Modem Ani
> >
> > "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am trying to update Mom's machine and need to install sp2.
> > >
> > > She's on dial up, so I would like to dl the update on my t1 from work
and
> > > bring it over.
> > >
> > > I cannot find a single computer version, only the network/developers
one,
> > > for direct download. Will it also work on a single pc? I'd
gladly
> > waste
> > > some disk space rather than the time it would take to dl @ 56k!!!
> > >
> > > In the beginning I know they didn't offer the dl, but thought it was
to be
> > > able to provide it to the autoupdate customers first (which I will
gladly
> > > turn on afterwards!).

terry

Thanks, but the hard drive failed and was replaced by dell. I just have to
restore everything. Nothing of substance was lost, save a xmas list and my
time spent.

The one you found is the one you want!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to update Mom's machine and need to install sp2.
>
> She's on dial up, so I would like to dl the update on my t1 from work and
> bring it over.
>
> I cannot find a single computer version, only the network/developers one,
> for direct download. Will it also work on a single pc? I'd gladly
> waste
> some disk space rather than the time it would take to dl @ 56k!!!
>
> In the beginning I know they didn't offer the dl, but thought it was to be
> able to provide it to the autoupdate customers first (which I will gladly
> turn on afterwards!).

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am trying to update Mom's machine and need to install sp2.
>
>She's on dial up, so I would like to dl the update on my t1 from work and
>bring it over.
>
>I cannot find a single computer version, only the network/developers one,
>for direct download. Will it also work on a single pc? I'd gladly waste
>some disk space rather than the time it would take to dl @ 56k!!!
>
>In the beginning I know they didn't offer the dl, but thought it was to be
>able to provide it to the autoupdate customers first (which I will gladly
>turn on afterwards!).

There is just the one download for the complete SP2 and that is the
one listed as intended for networks and developers. It will install
just fine on a single user PC.

It is a huge download so you will have to burn it to a CD. Or you
could order the SP2 CD from Microsoft. It usually only takes a few
days for delivery.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--