Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ways of Upgrading Gaming Performance

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 15, 2012 8:28:14 PM

Hello there. I was thinking about upgrading some things for my computer as I think it has some outdated stuff. I was wondering what you think I should upgrade. This computer is about 4 years old. I was already planning to get a new graphics card since my old one can't run Saints Row even on medium settings. If there is anything spec I missed please tell me and I will add it.

Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB
2 Gigs RAM
HDD 596 GB
24.6" HD LCD 1920x1080

Thanks!
January 15, 2012 11:03:27 PM

if you plan to switch to win 7 64 bit, it would make sense to get about 4-8gb of ram. if you plan to stick with 32 bit I'd upgrade to 4gb at least.

a definite upgrade on GPU needed.

alternative option is to get a small SSD for OS drive, but it's pricey, so last option to consider, probably on the same level as mobo + cpu upgrade.
January 15, 2012 11:21:09 PM

AntiZig said:
if you plan to switch to win 7 64 bit, it would make sense to get about 4-8gb of ram. if you plan to stick with 32 bit I'd upgrade to 4gb at least.

a definite upgrade on GPU needed.

alternative option is to get a small SSD for OS drive, but it's pricey, so last option to consider, probably on the same level as mobo + cpu upgrade.
Forgot to mention I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I got two 596GB hard drives. One is for main use, and the other one is for storing my videos/other backups. I am on a budget but was hoping to get the EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card from Newegg. Which would you choose as being the first and most important thing to upgrade?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
January 16, 2012 12:22:44 AM

Ok.

First off, you are going to need to upgrade your GPU. That should be priority number 1. Keep the 8800 as a PhysX card, and go with perhaps a 560Ti, or at minimum, a 460.

Second, you are going to need to add a couple GB of RAM. So do that. I assume it is DDR2.

Third, I suggest going with the i5 2500k, or the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T as a CPU upgrade.

i5 2500k or 1100t
2 more GB of RAM (for a total of 4)
560Ti (keeping the 8800 for PhysX)

Those are my suggestions. And the bare minimum - it wouldn't really be worth the trouble unless you upgrade to at least that.

Oh, and you will need a decent 500w PSU, if you don't already have one.
January 16, 2012 12:58:09 AM

PCgamer81 said:
Ok.

First off, you are going to need to upgrade your GPU. That should be priority number 1. Keep the 8800 as a PhysX card, and go with perhaps a 560Ti, or at minimum, a 460.

Second, you are going to need to add a couple GB of RAM. So do that. I assume it is DDR2.

Third, I suggest going with the i5 2500k, or the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T as a CPU upgrade.

i5 2500k or 1100t
2 more GB of RAM (for a total of 4)
560Ti (keeping the 8800 for PhysX)

Those are my suggestions. And the bare minimum - it wouldn't really be worth the trouble unless you upgrade to at least that.

Oh, and you will need a decent 500w PSU, if you don't already have one.
Hey thanks for the reply. I was looking at the EVGA GTX 560 Ti and was wondering if that would be a good enough to run, lets say Saints Row The Third at max settings? I have been reviewing this card for a while and think I may just buy it. As for the RAM, I was wondering if I would buy 4 GB x 2 if that would be enough? And for the PSU, I will check my computer now to see how much I currently have. Newegg also recommended me 500+ with the things I typed in.
January 16, 2012 4:32:56 AM

Firelance said:
Hey thanks for the reply. I was looking at the EVGA GTX 560 Ti and was wondering if that would be a good enough to run, lets say Saints Row The Third at max settings? I have been reviewing this card for a while and think I may just buy it. As for the RAM, I was wondering if I would buy 4 GB x 2 if that would be enough? And for the PSU, I will check my computer now to see how much I currently have. Newegg also recommended me 500+ with the things I typed in.


Everything sounds great.

You can count on one hand the number of mainstream games that you won't be able to max out. Saint's Row 3 is not one of them.
January 16, 2012 1:03:21 PM

I am pretty certain of getting the 560 Ti, but I've seen a lot of them so which would you recommend? Like I said before I had been looking at the EVGA one for a while now and am wondering if you think it is good enough? I've also read that the 560 Ti requires more than at least 600w? Is that true? Thanks.
January 16, 2012 1:27:05 PM

if you keep the 8800GTS as a physx card you'll need more than a 500W supply probably.
If you upgrade your ram (assuming you're on DDR2) then this will be wasted if you upgrade your mobo and processor. Have a good think about when you might up for a platform upgrade, if it is inside of 6months then get the psu get the gpu and ignore the RAM for now.
January 16, 2012 10:07:14 PM

There are a lot of brands for the 560 Ti.. so which one would you recommend? I think the EVGA looks pretty good.
January 22, 2012 7:08:12 PM

Ok. Here is my list so far on what I plan on getting. (Sorry for the double post.)

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 LGA 1155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Can anyone give their opinions on this so far? And also, can you guys list these items from most important to least. I dunno how to word it, but I do not have a lot of money. My gaming performance is horrible. I cannot play many games even on low/medium settings. List the things in order from which YOU would recommend getting first. It may take 1-2 years for me to get all of this stuff because I am jobless. And can anyone recommend a good power supply based on this? Thanks!

!