Slow XP

HI my Xp is running really slow
i got 1ghz cpu and 128mb ram
would ram speed it up or not??? any suggestions???
thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about slow

    128MB is barely enough for XP. The minimum for acceptable performance is
    256MB, and you'll be much happier with 512MB. However, if your computer is
    old enough to have come with a 1 GHz processor, its components are not
    likely to give you great performance on XP.

    In a computer with sufficient hardware, the top two reasons, by far, for
    slow performance are viruses/spyware and too many applications running in
    the background.

    Ted Zieglar

    > 128MB is barely enough for XP. The minimum for acceptable performance is
    > 256MB, and you'll be much happier with 512MB. However, if your computer is
    > old enough to have come with a 1 GHz processor, its components are not
    > likely to give you great performance on XP.

    Say what? I have a 1.1Ghz Celeron with 128Mb of RAM, and XP runs very
    nicely. Of course, there are no heavy-duty apps that get run on that
    machine, but for general MS Office apps, web surfing and the like, it's runs
    like a top.

    If you're happy with your computer's performance, that's great. I think most
    people would find that combination pokey for typical usage on XP.

    Hope my sig works this time.

    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > > 128MB is barely enough for XP. The minimum for acceptable performance is
    > > 256MB, and you'll be much happier with 512MB. However, if your computer
    is
    > > old enough to have come with a 1 GHz processor, its components are not
    > > likely to give you great performance on XP.
    >
    > Say what? I have a 1.1Ghz Celeron with 128Mb of RAM, and XP runs very
    > nicely. Of course, there are no heavy-duty apps that get run on that
    > machine, but for general MS Office apps, web surfing and the like, it's
    runs
    > like a top.

Microsoft Windows XP