VZN internet access and MAC OS

Last response: in Network Providers
January 9, 2005 11:35:52 PM

I have need of several phones with the ability to interface with Apple Mac
G4 lap tops. VZN says no way. Others say there are aftermarket hardware
and software. So far I've spent $$ but still have no functional way to
interface the Mac OS to any VZN phone.

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:35:53 PM

Not Me <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> I have need of several phones with the ability to interface with Apple Mac
> G4 lap tops. VZN says no way. Others say there are aftermarket hardware
> and software. So far I've spent $$ but still have no functional way to
> interface the Mac OS to any VZN phone.

If you find out any solutions, I would love to know. I would love to be
able to connect my LG4500 to my G4 laptop.

Thanks,
Jeff
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 10:47:16 AM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:35:52 -0500, Not Me wrote
(in article <34e563F49v9ehU2@individual.net>):

> Subject: VZN internet access and MAC OS
> From: "Not Me" <me@privacy.net>
> Date: Sunday 8:35 PM
> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
>
> I have need of several phones with the ability to interface with Apple Mac
> G4 lap tops. VZN says no way. Others say there are aftermarket hardware
> and software. So far I've spent $$ but still have no functional way to
> interface the Mac OS to any VZN phone.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Regards

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.datapilot.com/
January 11, 2005 11:50:03 AM

Jeff Grossman <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote:

>Not Me <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>> I have need of several phones with the ability to interface with Apple Mac
>> G4 lap tops. VZN says no way. Others say there are aftermarket hardware
>> and software. So far I've spent $$ but still have no functional way to
>> interface the Mac OS to any VZN phone.
>
>If you find out any solutions, I would love to know. I would love to be
>able to connect my LG4500 to my G4 laptop.

What's the problem? No one makes the right cable? Macs don't have
serial ports? Or something else? Surely Macs have dial-up software
built in.

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbon
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 5:32:11 PM

"Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I have need of several phones with the ability to interface with Apple Mac
> G4 lap tops. VZN says no way. Others say there are aftermarket hardware
> and software. So far I've spent $$ but still have no functional way to
> interface the Mac OS to any VZN phone.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Macs do fine with Motorolas, poke around Yahoogroups, there is one for
Mac cellphone use or Google for more info. It is easier with PC's, though. I
use both.

--
Thomas M. Goethe
Anonymous

"Jack Hamilton"

| >> I have need of several phones with the ability to interface with Apple
Mac
| >> G4 lap tops. VZN says no way. Others say there are aftermarket
hardware
| >> and software. So far I've spent $$ but still have no functional way to
| >> interface the Mac OS to any VZN phone.
| >
| >If you find out any solutions, I would love to know. I would love to be
| >able to connect my LG4500 to my G4 laptop.
|
| What's the problem? No one makes the right cable? Macs don't have
| serial ports? Or something else? Surely Macs have dial-up software
| built in.

Not sure what the real problem might be but it appears that there are no
drivers for the Mac OS to interface with the VZN cell phone.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:18:21 AM

"Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Jack Hamilton"

>Mac
>hardware
>| >
>| >If you find out any solutions, I would love to know. I would love to be
>| >able to connect my LG4500 to my G4 laptop.
>|
>| What's the problem? No one makes the right cable? Macs don't have
>| serial ports? Or something else? Surely Macs have dial-up software
>| built in.
>|

>Not sure what the real problem might be but it appears that there are no
>drivers for the Mac OS to interface with the VZN cell phone.

If you have a serial port on your computer and your phone supports a
serial connection, you don't need a special driver - your phone looks
like an external model to the computer. At least, my VX4400B looks like
an external modem to my Clie, which has no special communications
software installed.

If you want compression software, or address syncing, or something else
fancy, there would require software which might not exist.

Ah... Looking at the Apple.com page, I don't see any evidence that the
Apple notebooks support serial communications. So you might be out of
luck, unless there's a suitable USB to serial adapter.

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbon
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 4:23:41 AM

Thomas M. Goethe wrote:
> "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have need of several phones with the ability to interface with Apple Mac
>>G4 lap tops. VZN says no way. Others say there are aftermarket hardware
>>and software. So far I've spent $$ but still have no functional way to
>>interface the Mac OS to any VZN phone.
>>
>>Anyone have any ideas?
>>

> Macs do fine with Motorolas, poke around Yahoogroups, there is one for
> Mac cellphone use or Google for more info. It is easier with PC's, though. I
> use both.

I am not that familiar with the MAC other than the iBook my friends had
this summer. They had ATT and wanted to connect via cellphone. Verizon
said to them "No way" We did research and discovered that Verizon only
supports windows through Mobile Office but if you go directly to Smith
Micro, who manufactures Mobile Office, you can get the Quick Link Mobile
setup, software download and the cable to connect to the MAC laptop. My
frields switched to Verizon, got the LG VX 4400, contacted Smith Micro
at their website and ordered the cable, got the authorization info and
downloaded the Quick Link Mobile software and were connected via Verizon
in minutes. They run the 1X speed. The only think missing is the
venturi accelerator which is a different manufacturer. In addition,
calls to Smith Micro for assistance were handled so professionally. I
know, I did the talking to them as my friends were sooo green about
cellphone connection.

They now connect like old pros with their Apple iBook. Smith Micro
supports Powerbook also and will list all the phones by carrier they
support.

Hope this helps.

Nola
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 4:51:41 PM

"Jack Hamilton"

Apple
| >Mac G4 lap tops. VZN says no way. Others say there are aftermarket
| >hardware and software. So far I've spent $$ but still have no functional
way to

| >|
| >| What's the problem? No one makes the right cable? Macs don't have
| >| serial ports? Or something else? Surely Macs have dial-up software
| >| built in.
| >|

| >Not sure what the real problem might be but it appears that there are no
| >drivers for the Mac OS to interface with the VZN cell phone.
|
| If you have a serial port on your computer and your phone supports a
| serial connection, you don't need a special driver - your phone looks
| like an external model to the computer. At least, my VX4400B looks like
| an external modem to my Clie, which has no special communications
| software installed.
|
| If you want compression software, or address syncing, or something else
| fancy, there would require software which might not exist.
|
| Ah... Looking at the Apple.com page, I don't see any evidence that the
| Apple notebooks support serial communications. So you might be out of
| luck, unless there's a suitable USB to serial adapter.

I have several of the older (back as far as OS8.0) and up to 10.2 Mac OS on
various hardware. I've been repeatedly told by VZN owned stores 'that the
Apple platforms work with VZN. Took them at their word the first time. But
once burned I've hand carried the wife's G4 into the each and ever store and
said 'show me'. Stuff works on my PC platforms but none of my Apple
equipment. What I don't understand is that after failing to make my
equipment work the staff at these very same stores will tell other people
that Apple works with VZN.

I've given up on VZN for support on the Apple OS and have been asking in
various forums for 'how to' information and leads to whatever soft/hard ware
that might work.

Just today someone sent me a response suggesting that Bluetooth 'might' work
but no info on how to configure the process.

When (if?) I find a solution I'll post here with the result.

FWIW I've gotten a lot of emails asking for feedback on what I find out, so
there seems to be a need but not one that VZN shows any interest in
addressing.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:06:08 PM

Hi Not Me,

Sorry no one else has given you much help. PowerBooks and Verizon's Cellphones play very well together (most... not all).

First, what model phone do you have?

Second, check out this page and then for further questions, this yahoo group:
http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/

Third, sometimes certain data cables will not work (even though the phone will work with another cable). If you post back with the specific type (or where you bought it) I can offer further assistance.

I've been using a cell phone for internet with Verizon Wireless now for 3 years-first with Mac OS 9 and then with 10.2 and 10.3. Each step along the way I've been able to find what I needed to make my Kyocera phones and Motorola phones work.

JDB

January 12, 2005 10:06:09 PM

"JDBraun via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote in message
| Hi Not Me,
|
| Sorry no one else has given you much help. PowerBooks and Verizon's
Cellphones play very well together (most... not all).

| First, what model phone do you have?

Had a Kyocera 3035 but that's dead now and I'm looking for recommendations
for replacement for our use and for clients as well.

| Second, check out this page and then for further questions, this yahoo
group:
| http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/

Thanks I'll check those out as soon as I stop running today.

| Third, sometimes certain data cables will not work (even though the phone
will work with another cable). If you post back with the specific type (or
where you bought it) I can offer further assistance.

| I've been using a cell phone for internet with Verizon Wireless now for 3
years-first with Mac OS 9 and then with 10.2 and 10.3. Each step along the
way I've been able to find what I needed to make my Kyocera phones and
Motorola phones work.

Great please advise on what you use and where I might access the 'stuff'
because VZN seems to have no clue.

Regards
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 6:39:39 PM

Not Me,

The Kyocera 3035 would work very similarly to my 2235. But you're looking for new recommendations...

I just got a Motorola v265 and a motorola USB cable. I use it with Mac OS X (10.3.6) without any additional software or drivers. This is the procedure (which will work with any VZW phone in terms of configuration to use for internet access):

Plug in phone to USB cable. Plug in USB cable to computer. Open "System Preferences", and click on "Network." You should at this point receive a pop-up message informing you that "a new network port ****** has been detected" (Where the ****** is whatever it recognizes your phone as.) Click okay and select the device from the drop down list of devices (labeled as show). The first tab should be for PPP. Settings that need to be entered in order to access the internet are (settings show are for 14.4kbps and 144kbps:
Account Name:
qnc
Password:
qnc
Phone Number:

or:
Account Name:
xxxXXXxxxx@vzw3g.com (where x's denote your phone number)
Password:
vzw
Phone Number:

Then for the Modem tab, select either one of the scripts found on the maccellphone group (for the 14.4 speed) or (for the 144 speed) the "SprintPCS Vision" script.

Please note that Verizon will need to enable high speed data (ask for access to GetItNow content-that should get them to turn on the high speed for you). Also note that either of these speed options will use your minutes when dialed in.

Check this page at the yahoo group I'd previously mentioned:
This should fill in which phone will definately work if you're not interested in a Motorola. I believe there are very few that will not work for Macintoshes offered by Verizon.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know where I'm not being clear,
JDB

January 21, 2005 1:40:11 AM

I've gotten the WORST information from store salespeople. I've had ONE
really knowledgable tech.

Dial up someone who can help: Internet tech help. They have been good to
me for fixing dial-up problems.

866.788.2357

or *932

-Pete

Not Me wrote:

> I have need of several phones with the ability to interface with Apple Mac
> G4 lap tops. VZN says no way. Others say there are aftermarket hardware
> and software. So far I've spent $$ but still have no functional way to
> interface the Mac OS to any VZN phone.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Regards

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:43:29 AM

Hey, I just found this from another post:

http://www.cellphonemall.net/wireless/store/accessoryde...

There is a link for MAC os. Check it out. You might find your answers

-Pete

!