January 15, 2012 6:28:54 AM

I have a dell dimensions E520
specs are:
Core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz, 4MB cache, 1066Mhz FSB
4 GB corsair XMS2 800Mhz FSB.
xfx ati hd 6770 1GB GDDR-5
Cooler master PSU 500 watt.
160 GB hardrive seagate

I think my PC is good enough to run Call of duty on high settings but it runs slow.. both of these games MW2 and MW3 as both of these are made on the same engine.. Black ops run quite good. ive played crysis 2 on full settings with DX11.
The problem also comes up with NFS the run, the game runs as if i were playing it in slow motion. it doesnt look like the car is going above 250 300 KMPH. GTA liberty city stories also run smooth on very high settings above 30fps.
Kindly tell me/ advice me how can i get rid of these problems.
I cant even play COD MW2 and MW3 on full low settings. The gameplay is veryy slow..
January 15, 2012 10:29:24 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Video Games by Pyree
January 15, 2012 10:56:12 PM

sounds like a driver issue, go to the amd site and find the drivers that were released at the same time as the games and give em a try. yeah its a pain but worth a try.
Related resources
January 17, 2012 1:59:18 AM

i cant find the drivers because the game is too old. and MW3 is built on the same engine so it wont help....
January 17, 2012 4:58:30 AM

i meant the mw3 drivers...
January 17, 2012 9:15:58 AM

Both MW2 and MW3 are built on the same engine so i dnt think there would b any difference.. and ive played MW3 when it was released with the latest drivers but is was still slow...
January 17, 2012 11:20:19 AM

I'd clean my drivers (with a driver cleaner) and reinstall them. It definitely sounds like a software issue (be it the drivers themselves or some add-on software that might be causing it).

I'm not familiar with ATI drivers but I'd download the "Safe" version as oppose to any BETA drivers you might have installed if it be the case.
January 17, 2012 11:30:55 AM

Well, your GPU is excellent. A good mid-range GPU that should handle 90% of today's games at high visual settings.

Unfortunately, console ports often rely pretty heavily on the CPU and RAM (why they do, I have no idea - but that is definitely the tendency).

I would say your CPU is only a dual-core (Hyper-threading don't apply), and your RAM is low budget and very slow by today's standards. I would wager you are on Vista, so there goes 50% of your memory, right there.

I know that most everyone would disagree, but I am not most everyone.

You are bottlenecked.

Download this...

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Once installed, right click on the shortcut and launch using game booster. See if that helps you.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. Do you mean LAG? Or slow motion irrespective of your frame rate? If the latter is the case, it is probably a driver issue as everyone has said.
January 17, 2012 1:20:45 PM

you have a point with game booster. mw3 should work well on any dualcore over 2.2 so its likely to be down to his background tasks eating resources.
January 17, 2012 3:39:00 PM

Does your Dell motherboard allow for any kind of overclocking, memory- or cpu wise? 'cause strict timings on your ram and a bit of extra Mhz on that processor would do wonders I think.

The game engine is as old as your cpu, so it really shouldn't be a problem, but I'd look into BIOS tweaking if I were you ;) 
January 18, 2012 6:41:26 AM

Well i also think that something is bottle-necking and it is my motherboard which is very old.. "intel 965g"
I dont think the ram is slow because this is a gaming ram though is old but still good enough to play the MW2. If my problem with MW2 is over than there wouldnt be any problem with MW3.

I'll try the gamebooster. but the thing is that why is crysis 2 running on full settings and giving me more than 30fps??

MW2 is definitely not more heavy than Crysis 2 or black ops..

Does MW2 require CPU support more than Crysis 2 requires?

or is there anything else?
Im confused..!!
January 18, 2012 6:43:26 AM

I'll try the new drivers and the game booster. then ill let u knw..
January 18, 2012 6:46:03 AM

dell computers dont allow overclocking and i think overclocking wont help because a friend of mine has a veryyyy old computer with dg945 motherboard. and GT440 graphic card and a Pentium 4 HT processor. His PC runs MW2 and MW3 on full settings. i dnt know why this problem is occuring....
January 18, 2012 7:20:47 AM

ahsum_gulzar said:
Well i also think that something is bottle-necking and it is my motherboard which is very old.. "intel 965g"
I dont think the ram is slow because this is a gaming ram though is old but still good enough to play the MW2. If my problem with MW2 is over than there wouldnt be any problem with MW3.

I'll try the gamebooster. but the thing is that why is crysis 2 running on full settings and giving me more than 30fps??

MW2 is definitely not more heavy than Crysis 2 or black ops..

Does MW2 require CPU support more than Crysis 2 requires?

or is there anything else?
Im confused..!!

Oddly enough, Crysis 2 was one of the rare console ports that relies mostly on the GPU. Most console ports are pretty CPU intensive.

You GPU is great, your CPU is not.

Try game booster. Right click on your game shortcuts and select "launch with game booster".
January 18, 2012 8:12:38 AM

PCgamer81 said:
Oddly enough, Crysis 2 was one of the rare console ports that relies mostly on the GPU. Most console ports are pretty CPU intensive.

You GPU is great, your CPU is not.

Try game booster. Right click on your game shortcuts and select "launch with game booster".

Ive tried gamebooster but it didnt really helped. It improved the gameplay a bit but it wasnt good enough for me to play the game...
And as u said my CPU isnt great enough.. As i stated above, a friend of mine plays MW2 on a Pentium 4 HT processor.. which is definitely not better than my processor...
January 18, 2012 10:21:20 AM

ahsum_gulzar said:
Ive tried gamebooster but it didnt really helped. It improved the gameplay a bit but it wasnt good enough for me to play the game...
And as u said my CPU isnt great enough.. As i stated above, a friend of mine plays MW2 on a Pentium 4 HT processor.. which is definitely not better than my processor...

Your friend play it, but you need to check various variables, like the resolution, the graphics tweaking, etc...

I agree that your cpu is not enough, i used to have one e8400 with 9800gtx+ and when i bought 560ti, and i noticed that some games keep lagging with some settings, this happens because those games are very cpu dependant and there will be lag no matter what is your GPU, so i changed the cpu and there it is, game run smooth.

What you have to do if you don't want to change your cpu+motherboard, you need to optimize the graphics for your cpu, most likely this slow motion you say, is caused when Vertical Sync is on, turn it off, also you will need to turn off anti-aliasing in most of games,etc, also check your resolution when playing, this changes a lot of fps, if your graphics are too low and keep lagging lower resolution is the only option...

I Also noticed you have only 160gb of Disk space make sure there is more than 10gb of free space, when it is full you will notice some performance drop in all system...
January 18, 2012 11:03:54 AM

it will be your cpu

turn all the settings for it down

it was a bit jerky for me with an core 2 duo e7600 and an ati hd 4670

just upgraded to core i5 and works perfectly

you have to manually edit the config file to get it to work well with that cpu (i know i did it to get the game to work properly)

are you sure there are no programs running in the background sucking up resorces

(i havent tried mw2 but ive tried mw3. black ops wont run on your cpu period its very cpu intensive
January 18, 2012 1:43:44 PM

ricardois said:
Your friend play it, but you need to check various variables, like the resolution, the graphics tweaking, etc...

I agree that your cpu is not enough, i used to have one e8400 with 9800gtx+ and when i bought 560ti, and i noticed that some games keep lagging with some settings, this happens because those games are very cpu dependant and there will be lag no matter what is your GPU, so i changed the cpu and there it is, game run smooth.

What you have to do if you don't want to change your cpu+motherboard, you need to optimize the graphics for your cpu, most likely this slow motion you say, is caused when Vertical Sync is on, turn it off, also you will need to turn off anti-aliasing in most of games,etc, also check your resolution when playing, this changes a lot of fps, if your graphics are too low and keep lagging lower resolution is the only option...

I Also noticed you have only 160gb of Disk space make sure there is more than 10gb of free space, when it is full you will notice some performance drop in all system...

Ok ill try changing my motherboard and CPU.. It'll take some time though :p 
January 18, 2012 1:45:39 PM

shanky887614 said:
it will be your cpu

turn all the settings for it down

it was a bit jerky for me with an core 2 duo e7600 and an ati hd 4670

just upgraded to core i5 and works perfectly

you have to manually edit the config file to get it to work well with that cpu (i know i did it to get the game to work properly)

are you sure there are no programs running in the background sucking up resorces

(i havent tried mw2 but ive tried mw3. black ops wont run on your cpu period its very cpu intensive

Ive played black ops and it runs ok.. without any lag... well, ill change my cpu and mobo then...
January 18, 2012 10:01:38 PM

ahsum_gulzar said:
Ive played black ops and it runs ok.. without any lag... well, ill change my cpu and mobo then...

Black Ops is different.

Black Ops was done by Treyarch, and may have been coded differently to run on PC.

MW2/MW3 is Infinity Ward.

Console Ports are notorious for wreaking havoc on CPU's. I know it sucks.

I have dual 6970's and I can't get 60fps in GTA4 or Skyrim unless I overclock. That's pathetic.

Something else you can try...

System Explorer.

http://systemexplorer.net/

It is launched via executable and doesn't install.

So alt-tab out of your game, launch it, and set the priority of the game to "Real Time". Make sure it is running on both cores.

Keep it running.

Then, go back into your game and see if that helps.
January 20, 2012 9:28:32 AM

game booster helps alott.. now i can atleast play the game on full low settings :/ 
i hate it..
January 20, 2012 9:23:28 PM

what are your fps?
January 21, 2012 8:06:29 AM

less than 15 :/  without game booster.. and between 15-25 with game booster...
on full low settings
January 21, 2012 8:32:58 AM

are you playing online?

can you try offline without your internet being on?
January 25, 2012 10:11:56 AM

I think your RAM has low capacity, So that it can’t load the game properly… So you should keep extra RAM for your PC to play these games.

January 26, 2012 8:15:53 AM

4 gb is more than enough ram.
Anonymous
June 1, 2012 11:39:50 PM

Guys listen to this - I have a Asus G73JH laptop Core i7 - 720M 1.6GHz 500GB ( 7200RPM ) 6144MB ram ATI HD5870 1024MB and all of the Call of Duty games, MW 1, 2, 3 and Black Ops are really working like a nightmare. I get like 30-40 FPS and this is really awful. I play online, and it is simply a matter of accident to aim and shoot anyone. It is just not smooth, I had a way weaker laptop before and I was getting better performance. I tried almost everything - various gpu drivers, updated bios and vbios and it is still bad even on 800x600. The best thing is that all other games are working like a charm, all parts of Assassin's Creed, I also played Mass Effect 2 and even bought Battlefield 3, which really runs great even on high specs, but I simply didnt like the game. Im trying to solve this problem for a long time and I tried many other forums, but this thread is somewhat most close to my problems - any ideas?

June 2, 2012 12:20:38 AM

Quote:
LOL....
It is a laptop for goodness sakes...
Your cpu for a start is 1.6ghz...
That 5870 is rather a glorified 5770...

See the picture building in your head now?

Weaker laptop... define weaker...
Your native res is proberbly 1920x1080... whereas your "weak" one was proberbly 1360x768...

The ASUS G73 series of laptops (Republic of Gamers) are beasts.

I had one that with the same exact specs that could just about max BF3 - and the resolution is 1600x900.

He should be doing waaay better in MW3.

;) 

Oh, and you are right about the specs. But the 5870m is actually closer to a 5850 in performance even though it is based off of the 5770.

Anonymous
June 2, 2012 12:26:54 AM

Quote:
LOL....
It is a laptop for goodness sakes...
Your cpu for a start is 1.6ghz...
That 5870 is rather a glorified 5770...

See the picture building in your head now?

Weaker laptop... define weaker...
Your native res is proberbly 1920x1080... whereas your "weak" one was proberbly 1360x768...

Alright - so what? My friend got the i5 one, less ram same gpu and gets amazing results. I dont quite get what you mean, would be kind of you to explain it
Anonymous
June 2, 2012 12:55:55 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm.. seems people here are a little slow catching on.
1920x1080 res, with a 1.6ghz cpu, and a 5770....
reiteration, (1920x1080)...
Sorry to be so blunt, but... you are asking a 5770 to play call of duty maxed out with a 1.6ghz cpu..

Reason behind my comment.... black ops loves more than 2 cores above 3.0ghz...
MW3 has extra effects, such as ambient occlusion ect ect..
This all tolls up in the end.

Btw, the i5 is a faster CPU for gaming... higher clock speed.

to be honest, my question was why the cod games are shity even on 800x600, not when they are maxed out. My res is 1600x900, and still I dont get it when you can find people with similar specs to mine playing with everything maxed out, so that is why I dont understand what you are referring to, because I wrote that I cant play even MW1&2 with even 800x600 res. This is something I dont understand, because I can play Battlefield 3 with max res. and most of the options high or moderate. I had a hp laptop before with 4 gigs ram, some geforce 512mb card and dual core cpu.
Anonymous
June 2, 2012 1:05:48 AM

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmu6QGQ7i6c

i7 720QM
ATI 5870m
8GB DDR3 1333
Intel x25m G2
Sony BD5730S Writer

See the large drops in FPS?
This is the CPU....

But anyway those drops are not affecting the flow of the game, in my case it just slows down. If you claim my specs to be shity, why then they are selling those series as dedicated for gamers? And my main question is, why CoD games are the only ones having problems. I think that BF3 requires much more, but runs way better.
June 2, 2012 4:00:32 AM

you have a point in that the 5770m isnt the best for gaming but it should give 60 fps on cod4. on mw2 it will be less but mw3 uses the old cod 4 engine with some dx11 shading added(hbao) so if he turns the advanced lighting off he should get decent fps. yes thats a 1.6ghz cpu but it has turbo on it which will put in @2.8ghz when its running flat out so should be fast enough.

it has been seen that if you dont have textures set to native your performance will suffer. you may set it to extra but all you will get is poor fps with no increase in quality and in some cases worse quality than native. also forget aa it will cripple the fps regardless of settings. if your playing the multiplayer then set everything other than textures to minimum to get a solid 60 minimum. if you dont your gonna get owned.

June 2, 2012 6:16:13 AM

I had the ASUS G73JH-BST7. Here is a picture that I used when I sold it on craigslist...

That is my reflection in the screen.

Here is specs...

Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz w/ TB @ 2.89GHz
6GB DDR3
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
1GB GDDR5 VRAM
17.3" @ 1600x900
640GB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Here is the very same laptop maxing out Metro 2033 on my youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2g31KiAHI&list=UUZXSZd...

Fraps destroyed my framerate, but without fraps it was very playable - maxed out.

When I played MW2 on that very same laptop, I was able to max it totally out, never dropping below 60fps (VSYNC), and did so with ease.

So maybe you don't understand, Recon. No offense.

spyd33: I really don't know what to tell you, bro. That laptop should be able to handle it, and easily at that.

Do you have it plugged in? Is it set to run in power saving mode and you aren't aware of it?

You should be getting 60+ fps, that laptop is excellent.
Anonymous
June 2, 2012 11:32:10 PM

PCgamer81 said:
I had the ASUS G73JH-BST7. Here is a picture that I used when I sold it on craigslist...

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n511/Samuel_Rosenbalm/2011-11-0919-42-04_493.jpg

That is my reflection in the screen.

Here is specs...

Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz w/ TB @ 2.89GHz
6GB DDR3
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
1GB GDDR5 VRAM
17.3" @ 1600x900
640GB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Here is the very same laptop maxing out Metro 2033 on my youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2g31KiAHI&list=UUZXSZd...

Fraps destroyed my framerate, but without fraps it was very playable - maxed out.

When I played MW2 on that very same laptop, I was able to max it totally out, never dropping below 60fps (VSYNC), and did so with ease.

So maybe you don't understand, Recon. No offense.

spyd33: I really don't know what to tell you, bro. That laptop should be able to handle it, and easily at that.

Do you have it plugged in? Is it set to run in power saving mode and you aren't aware of it?

You should be getting 60+ fps, that laptop is excellent.

I really appreciate all of your concern, but dont you get that it slows down even with everything set to minimum? It's simply not smooth you would have to see it to know what I mean. Someone had advised me to change hdd, but whats the point if other games work? All of those games react the same way, I tried possibly all of configurations - res, vsync, aa, etc - switching them all off and on, and mixing those functions; energy plan is set to the maximum, always plugged in, every unnecessary app in background always off. I just don't get it, I even installed drivers without this catalyst stuff. It happens only to cod games, and to be honest I don't give a damn about the rest. Everytime I play on someone else's pc I cant believe my eyes. Im really disappointed, never I will buy a gaming notebook, and not Asus for sure. peace
!