Virtual Memory Size?

On my wife, Anna's, laptop I have the hard drive partioned, with the last
partition used just for temporary files & Virtual Memory. Anna uses some
massive files (pictures - and a genealogy file size not much smaller than
the Old Testament) and gets the error
'... insufficient resources...', at which point everything stops responding.

I guessed the 'resources' it lacked referred to memory (system RAM is 1GB) -
but it is just a guess! - and tried to increase the Virtual Memory from 3GB
to lots. But the dialogue box says that 4GB is the maximum.

So - would you put another VM folder on another partition (making 2 x 4GB),
and do you think this would help? Are the 'resources' it lacks really
memory, or am I particularly dull? Failing that, would another 1GB of RAM
cure this - not my preferred option at all since laptop memory is very
expensive, and Anna's Dell Latitude will only accept 2GB maximum, so if it
isn't enough... oh, dear!

Any guidance & encouragement is much appreciated,

Cheers,

Chris

Chris

It is a good idea to let Windows manage the pagefile.. it seems happier
working out what space is required by itself rather than having a user
setting determine what it can do, regardless of the size specified by the
user..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It is a good idea to let Windows manage the pagefile.. it seems happier
> working out what space is required by itself rather than having a user
> setting determine what it can do, regardless of the size specified by the
> user..

I'm not disagreeing (that's how my page file is set), and I would add that
people make mistakes when they do try to customize their settings, but can
you point me to a Microsoft KB article or white paper that explains why it is
better to let Windows do it than to customize it? TIA.

Virtual Memory in Windows XP
Version 1.5 — Last Updated February 13, 2005
by Alex Nichol
(MS-MVP - Windows Storage Management/File Systems)
© 2002-2005 by Author, All Rights Reserved
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

What is Virtual Memory?
A program instruction on an Intel 386 or later CPU can address up to 4GB of
memory, using its full 32 bits. This is normally far more than the RAM of
the machine. (The 32nd exponent of 2 is exactly 4,294,967,296, or 4 GB. 32
binary digits allow the representation of 4,294,967,296 numbers — counting
0.) So the hardware provides for programs to operate in terms of as much as
they wish of this full 4GB space as Virtual Memory, those parts of the
program and data which are currently active being loaded into Physical
Random Access Memory (RAM). The processor itself then translates (‘maps’)
the virtual addresses from an instruction into the correct physical
equivalents, doing this on the fly as the instruction is executed. The
processor manages the mapping in terms of pages of 4 Kilobytes each - a size
that has implications for managing virtual memory by the system.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Ken Gardner" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > It is a good idea to let Windows manage the pagefile.. it seems happier
> > working out what space is required by itself rather than having a user
> > setting determine what it can do, regardless of the size specified by
the
> > user..
>
> I'm not disagreeing (that's how my page file is set), and I would add that
> people make mistakes when they do try to customize their settings, but can
> you point me to a Microsoft KB article or white paper that explains why it
is
> better to let Windows do it than to customize it? TIA.

Hi, Ken.

Have you read the late MVP Alex Nichol's explanation? See:

Virtual Memory in Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Ken Gardner" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> It is a good idea to let Windows manage the pagefile.. it seems happier
>> working out what space is required by itself rather than having a user
>> setting determine what it can do, regardless of the size specified by the
>> user..
>
> I'm not disagreeing (that's how my page file is set), and I would add that
> people make mistakes when they do try to customize their settings, but can
> you point me to a Microsoft KB article or white paper that explains why it
> is
> better to let Windows do it than to customize it? TIA.

Thanks. I have read that article more than once, and highly recommend it to
anyone. I really miss Alex's presence around here.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Ken.
>
> Have you read the late MVP Alex Nichol's explanation? See:
>
> Virtual Memory in Windows XP
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

Several times, in fact. :) Along with lots of other Alex Nichols stuff.
He was a great source of solid, useful information about XP.

Ken

Ken

I doubt that there is one as there is no hard and fast rule ever applicable
to a computer in general use..

A computer that is used for a repetitive single task or set of tasks can
have parameters set that will be ok for the entire process.. under these
circumstances, one can plainly see why customizing would work..

For diagnostic purposes, it is sometimes necessary to set a pagefile size..

But the average computer, used to write letters, play games, edit photos,
edit videos, play music, show DVD movies?.. somebody with patience could
work out the average level of virtual memory, but it would be a compromise..
lets face it, manually setting a large pagefile that would enable video
editing would be little value while word processing..

Microsoft covered this exit by giving the option for Windows to manage it's
own without any technical input on the part of the user.. unless hard drive
space becomes so limited, and/or there just is not enough physical RAM to
cope with the demand, many users don't even know that there is a dynamic
pagefile working away in the background..

Here are three websites all covering the pagefile.. the first website in the
list is the work of Alex Nichol.. this man had a knack for explaining such
that almost anybody could follow the text and get something from it..

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

These pages are not newbie stuff or for those that just want the best
overall from their computers without messing..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;99768

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417/

The one impression that it leaves is that there has to be an understanding
of the way that the pagefile is uesd, by what, and when.. and Windows is
more capable of assessing that than most users..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Ken Gardner" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> It is a good idea to let Windows manage the pagefile.. it seems happier
>> working out what space is required by itself rather than having a user
>> setting determine what it can do, regardless of the size specified by the
>> user..
>
> I'm not disagreeing (that's how my page file is set), and I would add that
> people make mistakes when they do try to customize their settings, but can
> you point me to a Microsoft KB article or white paper that explains why it
> is
> better to let Windows do it than to customize it? TIA.

Thanks, Mike. I have bookmarked these sites (I already knew about Alex's
article) and will look at them.

--
Ken

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Ken
>
> I doubt that there is one as there is no hard and fast rule ever applicable
> to a computer in general use..
>
> A computer that is used for a repetitive single task or set of tasks can
> have parameters set that will be ok for the entire process.. under these
> circumstances, one can plainly see why customizing would work..
>
> For diagnostic purposes, it is sometimes necessary to set a pagefile size..
>
> But the average computer, used to write letters, play games, edit photos,
> edit videos, play music, show DVD movies?.. somebody with patience could
> work out the average level of virtual memory, but it would be a compromise..
> lets face it, manually setting a large pagefile that would enable video
> editing would be little value while word processing..
>
> Microsoft covered this exit by giving the option for Windows to manage it's
> own without any technical input on the part of the user.. unless hard drive
> space becomes so limited, and/or there just is not enough physical RAM to
> cope with the demand, many users don't even know that there is a dynamic
> pagefile working away in the background..
>
> Here are three websites all covering the pagefile.. the first website in the
> list is the work of Alex Nichol.. this man had a knack for explaining such
> that almost anybody could follow the text and get something from it..
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
>
> These pages are not newbie stuff or for those that just want the best
> overall from their computers without messing..
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;99768
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417/
>
> The one impression that it leaves is that there has to be an understanding
> of the way that the pagefile is uesd, by what, and when.. and Windows is
> more capable of assessing that than most users..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Ken Gardner" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> It is a good idea to let Windows manage the pagefile.. it seems happier
> >> working out what space is required by itself rather than having a user
> >> setting determine what it can do, regardless of the size specified by the
> >> user..
> >
> > I'm not disagreeing (that's how my page file is set), and I would add that
> > people make mistakes when they do try to customize their settings, but can
> > you point me to a Microsoft KB article or white paper that explains why it
> > is
> > better to let Windows do it than to customize it? TIA.

Thanks, Mike. The pagefile is now set to auto (on a drive with about 10GB
available) but the problem persists. Any other gems of wisdom would be much
appreciated. :)

Cheers,

Chris

: Chris
:
: It is a good idea to let Windows manage the pagefile.. it seems happier
: working out what space is required by itself rather than having a user
: setting determine what it can do, regardless of the size specified by the
: user..
:
: --
: Mike Hall
: MVP - Windows Shell/User
: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
:
:
:
:
:
: "Chris Burson" <chrisburson@onetelREMOVE-ME.net.uk> wrote in message
: news:O6N%23ohlUFHA.3436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > On my wife, Anna's, laptop I have the hard drive partioned, with the
last
: > partition used just for temporary files & Virtual Memory. Anna uses some
: > massive files (pictures - and a genealogy file size not much smaller
than
: > the Old Testament) and gets the error
: > '... insufficient resources...', at which point everything stops
: > responding.
: >

"Chris Burson" wrote:

> Thanks, Mike. The pagefile is now set to auto (on a drive with about 10GB
> available) but the problem persists. Any other gems of wisdom would be much
> appreciated. :)

Total memory on XP, including virtual memory, is limited to 4GB unless you
have the 64 bit edition of XP.

Ken

: "Chris Burson" wrote:
:
: > Thanks, Mike. The pagefile is now set to auto (on a drive with about
10GB
: > available) but the problem persists. Any other gems of wisdom would be
much
: > appreciated. :)
:
: Total memory on XP, including virtual memory, is limited to 4GB unless you
: have the 64 bit edition of XP.
:

Ken - 4GB total memory?! That sounds incredible. We only use laptops but
we're already hitting a Windows imposed memory limit? (If we have 2GB RAM,
then would Windows reduce the maximum VM to just 2GB? This is VERY
strange...)

Cheers,

Chris

Just to chime in here with some other possibilities, albeit unlikely:
Viruses and spyware can use up large amounts of memory. Also, other programs
running in the background may also be using a lot of memory. And finally, if
the application your wife is using is not well written for XP, it can use
memory inefficiently.

> "Ken Gardner" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> :
> : "Chris Burson" wrote:
> :
> : > Thanks, Mike. The pagefile is now set to auto (on a drive with about
> 10GB
> : > available) but the problem persists. Any other gems of wisdom would be
> much
> : > appreciated. :)
> :
> : Total memory on XP, including virtual memory, is limited to 4GB unless
you
> : have the 64 bit edition of XP.
> :
>
> Ken - 4GB total memory?! That sounds incredible. We only use laptops but
> we're already hitting a Windows imposed memory limit? (If we have 2GB RAM,
> then would Windows reduce the maximum VM to just 2GB? This is VERY
> strange...)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Jim

"Chris Burson" <chrisburson@onetelREMOVE-ME.net.uk> wrote in message
> "Ken Gardner" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> :
> : "Chris Burson" wrote:
> :
> : > Thanks, Mike. The pagefile is now set to auto (on a drive with about
> 10GB
> : > available) but the problem persists. Any other gems of wisdom would be
> much
> : > appreciated. :)
> :
> : Total memory on XP, including virtual memory, is limited to 4GB unless
you
> : have the 64 bit edition of XP.
> :
>
> Ken - 4GB total memory?! That sounds incredible. We only use laptops but
> we're already hitting a Windows imposed memory limit? (If we have 2GB RAM,
> then would Windows reduce the maximum VM to just 2GB? This is VERY
> strange...)
Chris - 4GB is all that a 32 bit processor can address.
It is necessary to map the operating system into the 4GB virtual memory
address space. For simplicity, Windows normally divides the 4GB virtual
address space into 2GB user space and 2GB system space. However, there is a
/3GB switch for bootini that changes this behaviour to all 3GB for the user.
1GB is plenty for the operating system.
Note, I never mentioned the amount of physical RAM because it has no effect
on the amount of virtual address space. Additional physical memory will
reduce the amount of paging which will result in improved performance.
Jim

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message
:
: "Chris Burson" wrote in message
:
: > "Ken Gardner" wrote in message
: > :
: > : "Chris Burson" wrote:
: > :
[...]

Thanks for that explanation, Jim. I didn't know it was a mathematical
reality thing regarding the processor. It's interesting to know that the
pagefile is divided between applications, etc. and the OS - I had no idea. I
had always thought the OS would run in RAM, assuming there was enough space.

So, increasing the RAM might help as it doesn't directly affect the pagefile
size... but I've checked with Crucial and that would cost £250 (for 2 x 1GB
modules). Too much. (Before I get RAM for Anna, it's most important I get a
Speedster 3 Steering Wheel & Forza Motorsport for my Xbox, and we can't
stretch to both. Of course, if it was my laptop that was running short of
RAM... ;-) .)

But can I just clarify that a 'low on resources' dialogue does refer to
memory? (If not, what else could it be?? Everything has been increased
compared to Anna's old laptop on which these apps. ran - including the
RAM/pagefile!? It used to be 384MB & 2GB respectively.)

It'th a mythtery (to me)... as the saying goes.

Cheers,

Chris

"Ken Gardner" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chris Burson" wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Mike. The pagefile is now set to auto (on a drive with about 10GB
>> available) but the problem persists. Any other gems of wisdom would be much
>> appreciated. :)
>
>Total memory on XP, including virtual memory, is limited to 4GB unless you
>have the 64 bit edition of XP.
>
>Ken

Not quite correct. Windows XP limits are 4 gb physical RAM, plus
another 4 gb of pagefile.

Windows 9x was limited to 4 gb total, consisting of 2 gb physical (in
theory) and 2 gb of swapfile.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Thanks for the correction.

--
Ken

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Ken Gardner" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >"Chris Burson" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, Mike. The pagefile is now set to auto (on a drive with about 10GB
> >> available) but the problem persists. Any other gems of wisdom would be much
> >> appreciated. :)
> >
> >Total memory on XP, including virtual memory, is limited to 4GB unless you
> >have the 64 bit edition of XP.
> >
> >Ken
>
> Not quite correct. Windows XP limits are 4 gb physical RAM, plus
> another 4 gb of pagefile.
>
> Windows 9x was limited to 4 gb total, consisting of 2 gb physical (in
> theory) and 2 gb of swapfile.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"Chris Burson" <chrisburson@onetelREMOVE-ME.net.uk> wrote:

>On my wife, Anna's, laptop I have the hard drive partioned, with the last
>partition used just for temporary files & Virtual Memory. Anna uses some
>massive files (pictures - and a genealogy file size not much smaller than
>the Old Testament) and gets the error
>'... insufficient resources...', at which point everything stops responding.
>
>I guessed the 'resources' it lacked referred to memory (system RAM is 1GB) -
>but it is just a guess! - and tried to increase the Virtual Memory from 3GB
>to lots. But the dialogue box says that 4GB is the maximum.

My suspicions are that this is more related to GDI Resources, which
are supposedly pretty close to unlimited in Windows XP (4 gb in
theory) but we need the *complete* verbatim text of the error message
and the specifics of exactly what the computer was doing at the time
the error occurred.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Probably got nothing to do with virtual memory. Everything is a resource. It depends what the program making that message means. Ask the program's makers what they mean.

"Chris Burson" <chrisburson@onetelREMOVE-ME.net.uk> wrote in message news:O%23dQH3xUFHA.2172@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> [...]
> had always thought the OS would run in RAM, assuming there was enough space.
>
> So, increasing the RAM might help as it doesn't directly affect the pagefile
> size... but I've checked with Crucial and that would cost £250 (for 2 x 1GB
> modules). Too much. (Before I get RAM for Anna, it's most important I get a
> Speedster 3 Steering Wheel & Forza Motorsport for my Xbox, and we can't
> stretch to both. Of course, if it was my laptop that was running short of
> RAM... ;-) .)
>
> But can I just clarify that a 'low on resources' dialogue does refer to
> memory? (If not, what else could it be?? Everything has been increased
> compared to Anna's old laptop on which these apps. ran - including the
> RAM/pagefile!? It used to be 384MB & 2GB respectively.)
>
> It'th a mythtery (to me)... as the saying goes.

"Ron Martell" wrote in message
:
: "Chris Burson" wrote:
:
[...]

Many thanks for the reply, Ron.

Since no-one seems to think this is a memory related problem, I've been
quizzing Anna some more. First, the problem only occurs when running the
genealogy programme Family Tree Maker while accessing genealogy.com through
Internet Explorer. (The website offers a subscription service with access to
old census returns. Apparently this is very exciting for genealogists!) The
website offers detailed scanned images which are accessed through their
viewer - a bit like Acrobat Reader when it runs 'inside' Internet Explorer,
but a much, much smaller application.

Anna has also told me that Family Tree Maker (FTM) suffers other problems,
like dialogue boxes which half appear and freeze the programme, so I am now
assuming this is specifically an FTM problem. I have found some support
information (eventually - what a convoluted route you have to take! Thanks a
lot, Broderbund) but it'll take me few days to work through it.

I had thought this was a Windows problem initially but it seems I was wrong
[Note to self: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing]. I'll investigate
further and report back - maybe at the weekend. But thanks to everyone who
offered input here. I even understood some of it!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. I gather Alex Nichol has passed away. A sad loss. I hope he was aware
how many thousands of people he was able to help. God bless him & his
family.

Hi, Chris.

> P.S. I gather Alex Nichol has passed away. A sad loss.

Yes, Alex died March 9, 2005. In addition to his many contributions to
computer users at large, he was "the MVP's MVP". We all miss him very much.
We will TRY to carry on in his footsteps, but don't expect us to fully
measure up.

I'm glad to see that you're making progress on solving Anna's computer's
problem. I also use FTM (version 11, SP2), but not in depth. I'm too cheap
to pay for all the optional resources, both online and in CDs. So I haven't
tried the subscription services. So far, I've seen no programming problems
with FTM on my machine (AMD 64 3200+ w/1 GB RAM, running WinXP SP2).

Thanks for the report, and let us know if we can help further.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Since no-one seems to think this is a memory related problem, I've been
> quizzing Anna some more. First, the problem only occurs when running the
> genealogy programme Family Tree Maker while accessing genealogy.com
> through
> Internet Explorer. (The website offers a subscription service with access
> old census returns. Apparently this is very exciting for genealogists!)
> The
> website offers detailed scanned images which are accessed through their
> viewer - a bit like Acrobat Reader when it runs 'inside' Internet
> Explorer,
> but a much, much smaller application.
>
> Anna has also told me that Family Tree Maker (FTM) suffers other problems,
> like dialogue boxes which half appear and freeze the programme, so I am
> now
> assuming this is specifically an FTM problem. I have found some support
> information (eventually - what a convoluted route you have to take! Thanks
> lot, Broderbund) but it'll take me few days to work through it.
>
> I had thought this was a Windows problem initially but it seems I was
> wrong
> [Note to self: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing]. I'll investigate
> further and report back - maybe at the weekend. But thanks to everyone who
> offered input here. I even understood some of it!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> P.S. I gather Alex Nichol has passed away. A sad loss. I hope he was aware
> how many thousands of people he was able to help. God bless him & his
> family.

First, let me post the Family Tree Maker (FTM) support links, which I found
are very difficult to find, being buried deep in the genealogy.com website:

For all FTM versions (and other genealogy programs):
http://gen.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/gen.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_prod_lvl1=77&p_prod_lvl2=78

For FTM 9 (incl. some v7 & 8):
http://gendisc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/gendisc.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=QflOhfFh&p_lva=&p_li=&p_new_search=&p_srch=&p_sort_by=&p_gridsort=&p_row_cnt=205&p_prods=&p_cats=&p_pv=&p_cv=&p_nav=head&p_page_head=1

For FTM 9 update file:
http://gendisc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/gendisc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1698&p_created=1067442006&p_sid=QflOhfFh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMDUmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

For FTM 'resources/memory etc.' error fix:
http://gendisc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/gendisc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2225&p_created=1071596378&p_sid=QflOhfFh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMDUmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9Mw**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Sorry for the long links & list but it's easier to get it all out of the way
in one go. :)

Next, I need to correct myself slightly: I said the census returns are
available on genealogy.com by subscription, but I they are actually on
ancestry.co.uk (& .com).

So, after a lot of poking around, and asking questions here (and I extend my
sincerest thanks to all who contributed - I would not have realised this was
not a pagefile problem without your guidance), I have updated Anna's FTM
(version 9) and have changed the settings mentioned below to solve the "not
enough resources" problem. I have no idea if this is the GDI related problem
that Ron Martell mentioned, but I've pasted the full text below for your
information. Perhaps someone could explain what was happening here!

For what it's worth, one of the tips said to compact the file -
understandably - which Anna did. The family tree file was very nearly 200
MB, and after compacting lost a wholly unimpressive 2 MB: i.e. about 1%!
But, surprisingly, it has speeded up the close-down process of FTM hugely.
Like MS Money, FTM 9 creates a backup every time it shuts down. On Anna's
old laptop, this took several minutes. On her new Dell, it took 30 - 40
seconds before, but now takes perhaps 10 seconds, or less. (What's that all
about?!) And to put the size of that file into some context; in my first
post I joked that the file was nearly as big as the Old Testament. I use the
Libronix software for Bible study and the entire King James Bible, for
instance, is just under 12 MB. (Note that Anna's FTM file has been 20 - 25
years in the making.)

So, here is the solution as listed in the FTM support pages which, so far,
has proved successful:

Q. "Not enough memory or resources" Message While in the View Menu
A. Usually you will receive this message this when you try to scroll down
the View menu. Also, you usually won't be able to see the whole View menu as
it may be cut off about 3/4 of the way down.

What we've found that the cause of this is that your Windows settings for
the Menu bar are too large we need to make them smaller.

Here's what you need to do:

1.. Go to Start and choose Settings and then Control Panel.
2.. Double-click Display.
3.. Click the Appearance tab.
4.. Change the Item to Menu.
Make sure the Menu is set to 18 and the font size is 8. You may also want
to change the font to Arial also if you don't already have it set that way.
5.. Once these changes are made, press OK and try the View menu in Family
Tree Maker.

Well, that's another 1/2 hour wasted! Still, I do appreciate all your help
with this - thanks to everyone. And, in defence of my pagefile policy -
setting the size manually - I thought it was quicker for Windows since the
OS wouldn't have to create a new file every time. Perhaps I am a touch
naive?!

Anyway, thanks again.

Chris

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
[...]