Locating start up error

May 6, 2005 7:12:03 PM

When I start my computer I receive error messages about mousectrl.exe. I
went into msconfig and disabled it.

I have written down its location - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion. How do I locate this file so that I can delete the
program?
--
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I look forward to reading your
response.

Kathryn

More about : locating start error

May 6, 2005 10:29:08 PM

In news:42BC0224-9165-4457-BAFD-4D6C787DC70D@microsoft.com,
Kathryn <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> When I start my computer I receive error messages about
> mousectrl.exe. I went into msconfig and disabled it.
>
> I have written down its location - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion. How do I locate this file so that I can delete the
> program?

Start > Search > For files or folders > enter in the name and using the
advanced options tell it to find system files, find hidden files, and to
search subfolders.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:31:08 AM

I tried searching as suggested. However nothing from the location was found.
What else can I try?
--

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:42BC0224-9165-4457-BAFD-4D6C787DC70D@microsoft.com,
> Kathryn <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > When I start my computer I receive error messages about
> > mousectrl.exe. I went into msconfig and disabled it.
> >
> > I have written down its location - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> > NT\CurrentVersion. How do I locate this file so that I can delete the
> > program?
>
> Start > Search > For files or folders > enter in the name and using the
> advanced options tell it to find system files, find hidden files, and to
> search subfolders.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

May 7, 2005 4:46:41 AM

On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:31:08 -0700, "Kathryn"
<Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried searching as suggested. However nothing from the location was found.
> What else can I try?
If that didn't work try the command prompt.
enter CMD from the RUN box.
type cd \
type dir /s mousectrl.exe
if it's found, the location will be identified.

If it's not found, do it this way
type dir /s /ah mousectrl.exe
it's unlikely to be a hidden file, but you never know.
Dave
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:29:01 AM

It isn't mousectrl.exe that I am trying to locate, it is the program that is
attempting to run it. Mousectrl.exe doesn't exist.

The error I get on startup are:
Windows cannot find 'c:\windows\system32\mousectrl.exe'. Make sure you
typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click
the Start button, and then click Search.

After ok is clicked:
Could not load or run 'c:\windows\system32\mousectrl.exe' specified in the
registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference
to it in the registry.

I ran msconfig and found the reference to mousectrl.exe on the Start tab, so
I deselected it. I rebooted and the error has gone, however my computer
booted in selective startup mode. So I noted the location from the Start tab
- HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows as I assume this
is where the command is issuing from. Now I want to find that location so
that I can delete the command from (I assume) the registry. I have set my
computer to show all hidden and system files and I cannot locate it.

Am I on the right track? What do I do now?

--

"da_test" wrote:

> On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:31:08 -0700, "Kathryn"
> <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I tried searching as suggested. However nothing from the location was found.
> > What else can I try?
> If that didn't work try the command prompt.
> enter CMD from the RUN box.
> type cd \
> type dir /s mousectrl.exe
> if it's found, the location will be identified.
>
> If it's not found, do it this way
> type dir /s /ah mousectrl.exe
> it's unlikely to be a hidden file, but you never know.
> Dave

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:54:01 PM

Found it with regedit and delete the command.
--

!