Locating start up error

When I start my computer I receive error messages about mousectrl.exe. I
went into msconfig and disabled it.

I have written down its location - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion. How do I locate this file so that I can delete the
program?
--
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I look forward to reading your
response.

Kathryn
5 answers Last reply
More about locating start error

    In news:42BC0224-9165-4457-BAFD-4D6C787DC70D@microsoft.com,
    Kathryn <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > When I start my computer I receive error messages about
    > mousectrl.exe. I went into msconfig and disabled it.
    >
    > I have written down its location - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion. How do I locate this file so that I can delete the
    > program?

    Start > Search > For files or folders > enter in the name and using the
    advanced options tell it to find system files, find hidden files, and to
    search subfolders.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    I tried searching as suggested. However nothing from the location was found.
    What else can I try?
    --

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:42BC0224-9165-4457-BAFD-4D6C787DC70D@microsoft.com,
    > Kathryn <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > When I start my computer I receive error messages about
    > > mousectrl.exe. I went into msconfig and disabled it.
    > >
    > > I have written down its location - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    > > NT\CurrentVersion. How do I locate this file so that I can delete the
    > > program?
    >
    > Start > Search > For files or folders > enter in the name and using the
    > advanced options tell it to find system files, find hidden files, and to
    > search subfolders.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:31:08 -0700, "Kathryn"
    <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I tried searching as suggested. However nothing from the location was found.
    > What else can I try?
    If that didn't work try the command prompt.
    enter CMD from the RUN box.
    type cd \
    type dir /s mousectrl.exe
    if it's found, the location will be identified.

    If it's not found, do it this way
    type dir /s /ah mousectrl.exe
    it's unlikely to be a hidden file, but you never know.
    Dave

    It isn't mousectrl.exe that I am trying to locate, it is the program that is
    attempting to run it. Mousectrl.exe doesn't exist.

    The error I get on startup are:
    Windows cannot find 'c:\windows\system32\mousectrl.exe'. Make sure you
    typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click
    the Start button, and then click Search.

    After ok is clicked:
    Could not load or run 'c:\windows\system32\mousectrl.exe' specified in the
    registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference
    to it in the registry.

    I ran msconfig and found the reference to mousectrl.exe on the Start tab, so
    I deselected it. I rebooted and the error has gone, however my computer
    booted in selective startup mode. So I noted the location from the Start tab
    - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows as I assume this
    is where the command is issuing from. Now I want to find that location so
    that I can delete the command from (I assume) the registry. I have set my
    computer to show all hidden and system files and I cannot locate it.

    Am I on the right track? What do I do now?

    --

    "da_test" wrote:

    > On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:31:08 -0700, "Kathryn"
    > <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I tried searching as suggested. However nothing from the location was found.
    > > What else can I try?
    > If that didn't work try the command prompt.
    > enter CMD from the RUN box.
    > type cd \
    > type dir /s mousectrl.exe
    > if it's found, the location will be identified.
    >
    > If it's not found, do it this way
    > type dir /s /ah mousectrl.exe
    > it's unlikely to be a hidden file, but you never know.
    > Dave

    Found it with regedit and delete the command.
    --

    "Kathryn" wrote:

    > It isn't mousectrl.exe that I am trying to locate, it is the program that is
    > attempting to run it. Mousectrl.exe doesn't exist.
    >
    > The error I get on startup are:
    > Windows cannot find 'c:\windows\system32\mousectrl.exe'. Make sure you
    > typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click
    > the Start button, and then click Search.
    >
    > After ok is clicked:
    > Could not load or run 'c:\windows\system32\mousectrl.exe' specified in the
    > registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference
    > to it in the registry.
    >
    > I ran msconfig and found the reference to mousectrl.exe on the Start tab, so
    > I deselected it. I rebooted and the error has gone, however my computer
    > booted in selective startup mode. So I noted the location from the Start tab
    > - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows as I assume this
    > is where the command is issuing from. Now I want to find that location so
    > that I can delete the command from (I assume) the registry. I have set my
    > computer to show all hidden and system files and I cannot locate it.
    >
    > Am I on the right track? What do I do now?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I look forward to reading your
    > response.
    >
    > Kathryn
    >

    > "da_test" wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:31:08 -0700, "Kathryn"
    > > <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I tried searching as suggested. However nothing from the location was found.
    > > > What else can I try?
    > > If that didn't work try the command prompt.
    > > enter CMD from the RUN box.
    > > type cd \
    > > type dir /s mousectrl.exe
    > > if it's found, the location will be identified.
    > >
    > > If it's not found, do it this way
    > > type dir /s /ah mousectrl.exe
    > > it's unlikely to be a hidden file, but you never know.
    > > Dave

Microsoft Windows XP