Sign in with
Your question

Grand Theft Auto IV Lag / Stuttering problems

Last response: in Video Games
January 16, 2012 2:28:15 AM

Specifications

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3.2ghz
GPU - ASUS GTX 550Ti CU2 Brand new maybe week old.
Mobo - Biostar TA870U3+
Memory - 8GB DDR3 1333mhz ram
HDD - 500GB Western Digital Mechanical Drive

Problem - I bought this game today, and it i installed it and well the process was really easy just like any other game. i bought it shelf not steam. and i updated it to patch 1.0.7.0 and well i launched first mission of optimal settings. and i stutter to around 13fps to 40fps when i move i lag. so i decided to crank the settings completely down and well i had 9fps now and constant 9fps. im stumped. i play Battlefield BC2 on highest at around 90fps and skyrim at around 60 cause of VSync. Anyone able to help me with my situation. i hear alot of people have fps stuttering issues. i just wanna be able to play the game like i did on xbox.

CPU-Z http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2195331
January 16, 2012 1:55:45 PM

Well, I can tell you that this game won't run any better than how it did on your XBOX 360.
It's really poorly coded for PC. But you're system should be enough to play it at, maybe 720p with settings turned to high/very high.

What resolution are you playing it at?
m
l
January 16, 2012 6:19:25 PM

Currently running it at 1280x720 but when i run it at 1600x900 i get around 5 more fps. and i play it at medium shadows / high rest. and i have 50fps but everytime it renders something it lags hardcore. and i play other graphic / cpu heavy games so i know my hardware isnt defect.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2012 7:14:21 PM

gta 4 is badly coded and really needs all the patches... the main problem is users try to run to much draw distance , for which you need a minimum of 1.5 gig of dedicated gfx ram. if you have 1 gig or less than set the draw distance to half maximum. if your on a 512 card then lower it by half again.
after that you should be able to max out all the other settings if you wish, whichout maxing out the gfx ram.
m
l
January 17, 2012 2:16:13 AM

I run the game with currently around 15 view distance and still lag like crazy. :l
m
l
January 18, 2012 12:50:00 AM

Use Patch 1.0.4.0 or 1.0.2.0 and use D3Doverrider which comes with riva tuner , it works ... (Tried it myself)

RivaTuner: http://downloads.guru3d.com/RivaTuner-v2.09-download-16...

Go to C: --> Program files --> Riva Tuner --> Tools --> D3Doverrider --> D3Doverrider.exe

You'll Have to do a little config change , Read it here :

http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=350802

And remember you have to turn vsync on for D3D overrider to take effect ..

Please Reply After Trying This ...

Here For You ,
TheGamingBoss :D 
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:39:37 AM

Quote:

Unwinder

09-14-2011, 15:31 | posts: 9,373 | Location: Taganrog, Russia
Placebo effect. The fix does NOTHING, there is no such config entry support inside D3DOverrider. And furthermore, it supports DX11 hooking out of box, HookDirect3D10 affects DXGI hooking which applies to both DX10 and DX11.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

going by this mod on that forum at the end of the every posts you link... it has no effect. and the unskilled should stear well clear of riva tuner as 1 wrong button press can kill your card dead... all you gotta do is save at the wrong setting and ooopps!...
so unless your confident in your ability to get it right. best not muck about with it , until you read up on what it does and doesnt do...
i h8 to piss on your batteries gamer, but just because your advanced doesnt mean every 1 else is, so be careful of app recommendations , especially apps that can flash firmware. as you dont want to be responsible for killing sum1 elses machine, the same as you wouldn't want sum1 being responsible for killing yours...

the use of certain patches is good advice though so its not a total waste ;) 
m
l
January 18, 2012 7:19:56 AM

Well ... I'm New to this forum thing .. so still learning how to post :D  .. I'll keep your point in mind .

As for you , dragoboi , try vsync on and one of the above patches , it should improve GTA 4 fps by a lot ...
m
l
January 19, 2012 5:12:52 AM

Did that patch. after a fresh reinstall. login and bam stuttering again. Decide to crank everything to max except view dist i put to 40 and well the stuttering is gone. 20 - 30 fps. crank 1 setting down and bam stuttering again. could this possibly be because my graphics card is on adaptive power mode?
m
l
January 19, 2012 10:55:20 AM

yes but the card should switch to power mode when it is past a certain percentage usage... something like 5% and then it should jump to warp speed... it should then stay there till after the app thats using it is closed.

you dont happen to have msi afterburner on your system do you? also make sure your windows power options are set to max performance. not power saving or ballanced.
m
l
January 19, 2012 9:35:28 PM

I have MSI Afterburner from my old Graphics card which was a MSI. This card came with smartdoctor and this 550 is a ASuS. and i have my power options at max performance. it has to be somethin cause i play all games even the newest 1's out with atleast 30 fps.
m
l
!