How do you get Disk Defrag to defragment obstinate files like Mybackup.qic.
I have managed to get defrag to check some files which on a first pass remain
fragmented by going into safe mode and running defrag. I'd also like to
reduce the size of Mybackup.qic which is currently at 2.09 GB but can't seemn
to be able to access it without either backing up or restoring data held
there! With only a 28GB hard drive 2GB seems to be an inordinately large
backup file?
--
David morrison

2GB isn't large if you are backing up all of your hard drive.
There are certain files which the defragmenter will not touch during a
normal pass from within windows. The paging files is one, system restore
point are another and so is the hibernate file. I assume the same would be
true of compressed backup files.

I use perfect disk to defragment xp. This will allow the defragmentation of
page file when the system is rebooted. The only way around system restore
files and hibernate files is to delete them, or should i say disable system
restore and hibernate before defragmenting. I think you will find you won't
be able to defragment your backup files. Not unless you move them to a DVD
and then defragment the free space.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

David Morrison wrote:
> How do you get Disk Defrag to defragment obstinate files like
> Mybackup.qic. I have managed to get defrag to check some files which
> on a first pass remain fragmented by going into safe mode and running
> defrag. I'd also like to reduce the size of Mybackup.qic which is
> currently at 2.09 GB but can't seemn to be able to access it without
> either backing up or restoring data held there! With only a 28GB hard
> drive 2GB seems to be an inordinately large backup file?

There are some defrag utilities on the sysinternal site that may be of some
help.
I have links on my pages.
http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/tools.html
-max