franco44

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
i have a year old HP Pent4 PC with a 225W ps. it has a Hipro power supply model number HPD2537F3R. i want to upgrade to a 350W ps. i would like to know if i can get a regular atx ps. i have been searching the net for compatibilty and also called HP but i cant get an answer. i was told if i put the wrong kind in it will fry the mobo. thanks, frank

setdhook1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
You may want to look up your computer's Specs and see if your PSU is a standard ATX version. If it is, then most ATX PSUs would fit. Here is the HP web site URL you can play with to find or even ask (via contact):
http: //welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/prodserv.html
good luck :>.

franco44

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
cant get to that link. the pc is a a350y hp pavilion. the mobo is an ASUSTek P4SD-LA version Rev 1.xx thanks ,frank

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
HP uses ATX power standard, but they usually have smaller power supply housings. The two most common are SFX (smaller in every direction) and PS-III (looks full sized from the rear, but is shorter inside). A full sized power supply sometimes fits where a PS-III style was mounted, but often using the longer supply will cause it to hit the back of the CD drives.

If you're lucky you have the full sized unit. Small sized power supplies normally don't come in sizes above 250W. Either way, it's on the ATX power standard so you won't blow anything.

Dell was the company that rewired their connectors to blow your components if you tried switching to other brands.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>