EQ2: Crafting classes that compliment each other

I'm getting very addicted to crafting in this game, so much so that I havent
even left Qeynos for a week.

So far I have two characters, my main guy (lvl 18/pred - lvl 16/Craftsmen)
and a alt (lvl 13 warrior - lvl 16/Outfitter)

I am getting close to choosing my main crafting choice for both guys but i'm
not sure what to go for. I dont like playing the warrior at all so he's
going to be staying at his current level. I love my predator/ranger though,
so I want a class that is useful to him.

I was thinking along the lines of:

Woodworker
Tailor
Armourer or Weaponsmith (Going to start a new alt for this)

Would these three compliment each other? The obvious skill I am missing from
the above is alchemy for all the resins etc. I'm thinking however that these
should be available in the wholesalers in the future. Wayfarers already has
tier 2 resins so tier 3 shouldnt be that far off.

My plan is to be able to kit out my pred/ranger with all the items he is
going to need in terms of armour/bows/arrows/shields/weapons. This only
leaves magic items to purchase.

I know you should trade with other players but I dont have the time to beg
for items, especially with the lvl20+ crafting recipes that need 3-4
combinations from different classes.

Anyone else planning something like this?

>Grrrr, since when do sages make patterns? I wish SoE would maintain
some
>kind of consistency with the recipes. Patterns were classed in the
outfitter
>group, but later on they are with a Sage?

Well they don't make the pattern really just the piece of paper you
need to make the pattern. That's the case at every stage.

Wolfie

Cheddar wrote:

> I was thinking along the lines of:
>
> Woodworker
> Tailor
> Armourer or Weaponsmith (Going to start a new alt for this)
>
> Would these three compliment each other? The obvious skill I am
> missing from the above is alchemy for all the resins etc. I'm
> thinking however that these should be available in the wholesalers in
> the future. Wayfarers already has tier 2 resins so tier 3 shouldnt be
> that far off.

You'll also need patterns (sage) and various items from
a jeweler for any weapon (and I'd guess some armor).
And tons of raw components, of course.

> I know you should trade with other players but I dont have the time
> to beg for items, especially with the lvl20+ crafting recipes that
> need 3-4 combinations from different classes.

It's unavoidable unless you're a provisioner (or an
alchemist with a limited output IIRC.) BTW, paying
for a good isn't the same as begging...

> Anyone else planning something like this?

We've got a woodworker, tailor, alchemist, sage,
provisioner, and jeweler for our fury/conjurer duo.
But we'd still like a carpenter...

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in message
> Cheddar wrote:
>
>> I was thinking along the lines of:
>>
>> Woodworker
>> Tailor
>> Armourer or Weaponsmith (Going to start a new alt for this)
>>
>> Would these three compliment each other? The obvious skill I am
>> missing from the above is alchemy for all the resins etc. I'm
>> thinking however that these should be available in the wholesalers in
>> the future. Wayfarers already has tier 2 resins so tier 3 shouldnt be
>> that far off.
>
> You'll also need patterns (sage) and various items from
> a jeweler for any weapon (and I'd guess some armor).
> And tons of raw components, of course.

Grrrr, since when do sages make patterns? I wish SoE would maintain some
kind of consistency with the recipes. Patterns were classed in the outfitter
group, but later on they are with a Sage?

>> I know you should trade with other players but I dont have the time
>> to beg for items, especially with the lvl20+ crafting recipes that
>> need 3-4 combinations from different classes.
>
> It's unavoidable unless you're a provisioner (or an
> alchemist with a limited output IIRC.) BTW, paying
> for a good isn't the same as begging...

I meant begging as in trawling the trading channels looking for someone to
barter/deal with.

Wolfie

Cheddar wrote:

> Grrrr, since when do sages make patterns?

From 20 on.

> I wish SoE would maintain some kind of consistency with the recipes.
> Patterns were classed in the outfitter group, but later on they are with a
> Sage?

Sages are the ones with the writing/scribing skills.

> I meant begging as in trawling the trading channels looking for
> someone to barter/deal with.

Easy enough if you're ordering goods; otherwise you
just buy from a (player) merchant/broker.

Wolfie

BombayMix wrote:
>> Grrrr, since when do sages make patterns? I wish SoE would maintain
>> some kind of consistency with the recipes. Patterns were classed in
>> the outfitter group, but later on they are with a Sage?
>
> Well they don't make the pattern really just the piece of paper you
> need to make the pattern. That's the case at every stage.

Woodworkers make paper. Sages scribe the pattern
onto the paper using thread. That's after 20; it's different
before. Maybe it's different again at 30...

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in news:f1yDd.200526$Oc.189007
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> Cheddar wrote:
>
>> I was thinking along the lines of:
>>
>> Woodworker
>> Tailor
>> Armourer or Weaponsmith (Going to start a new alt for this)
>>
>> Would these three compliment each other? The obvious skill I am
>> missing from the above is alchemy for all the resins etc. I'm
>> thinking however that these should be available in the wholesalers in
>> the future. Wayfarers already has tier 2 resins so tier 3 shouldnt be
>> that far off.
>
> You'll also need patterns (sage) and various items from
> a jeweler for any weapon (and I'd guess some armor).
> And tons of raw components, of course.
>
>> I know you should trade with other players but I dont have the time
>> to beg for items, especially with the lvl20+ crafting recipes that
>> need 3-4 combinations from different classes.
>
> It's unavoidable unless you're a provisioner (or an
> alchemist with a limited output IIRC.) BTW, paying
> for a good isn't the same as begging...
>
>> Anyone else planning something like this?
>
> We've got a woodworker, tailor, alchemist, sage,
> provisioner, and jeweler for our fury/conjurer duo.
> But we'd still like a carpenter...

One of the few things I actually really liked about the EQ1 tradeskill
system was that you could actually learn all of the tradeskills, and not
be so dependant on others. I remember many times, before I GMed most of
the tradeskills, having to troll the bazaar repeatedly in the hopes of
finding some of the subcomponents I needed that required a different
tradeskill to make, it got extremely frustrating at times.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

Wolfie

Graeme Faelban wrote:

> One of the few things I actually really liked about the EQ1 tradeskill
> system was that you could actually learn all of the tradeskills, and
> not be so dependant on others.

Assuming people continue to level the tradeskill societies
you won't need anything except coin. As the society levels
it offers more goods.

> I remember many times, before I GMed
> most of the tradeskills, having to troll the bazaar repeatedly in the
> hopes of finding some of the subcomponents I needed that required a
> different tradeskill to make, it got extremely frustrating at times.

That's what the society vendor is supposed to eliminate.
Obviously it doesn't do that NOW -- the people leading
the tradeskill effort are "grouping" in some manner...

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in news:laCDd.200619$Oc.28197
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> Graeme Faelban wrote:
>
>> One of the few things I actually really liked about the EQ1 tradeskill
>> system was that you could actually learn all of the tradeskills, and
>> not be so dependant on others.
>
> Assuming people continue to level the tradeskill societies
> you won't need anything except coin. As the society levels
> it offers more goods.

Likely because, among other things, the wholesaler requires you to make
items that are outside of your area of expertise, not to mention, often
requires you to make relatively expensive items that he then takes from
you.

>> I remember many times, before I GMed
>> most of the tradeskills, having to troll the bazaar repeatedly in the
>> hopes of finding some of the subcomponents I needed that required a
>> different tradeskill to make, it got extremely frustrating at times.
>
> That's what the society vendor is supposed to eliminate.
> Obviously it doesn't do that NOW -- the people leading
> the tradeskill effort are "grouping" in some manner...

The society levelling needs work in order for people to want to do it.

One problem I found was that when I joined my tradeskill specific
society, it removed me from the original society, which I then had to
rejoin. I don't recall if I actually checked if I lost all the earned
status I had prior to being removed. I know I did lose all the status I
earned when in a guild that I later left, so it would not surprise me.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in message news:f1yDd.200526
> Cheddar wrote:
>
> > I know you should trade with other players but I dont have the time
> > to beg for items, especially with the lvl20+ crafting recipes that
> > need 3-4 combinations from different classes.
>
> It's unavoidable unless you're a provisioner (or an
> alchemist with a limited output IIRC.) BTW, paying
> for a good isn't the same as begging...

Nope, paying isn't the same as begging. But when you get told "I can make
your complicated patterns for X xp, or these easier items for 4 times X xp",
guess what you gotta do to make him even consider making the patterns?

One of the pieces of armour I make takes a set of rings (7 SP), a pattern
(maker wants 30 SP), and 3 padding (maker wants 50 SP each). This armour
won't sell for 70 SP, let alone break-even 187 SP.

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 19:56:26 GMT, Wolfie wrote:

>> I meant begging as in trawling the trading channels looking for
>> someone to barter/deal with.

>Easy enough if you're ordering goods; otherwise you
>just buy from a (player) merchant/broker.

Still, I wish there was a formalized way of out-sourcing. I.e., a way to
announce on the market that you need e.g. 10 crude Burlap Patterns and is
willing to pay 50s for them. A reversed broker concept, so to speak. The guy
who gets the order would see it in his journal as a tradeskill quest, and
once completed, he would be instructed to contact the customer for the
exchange of goods and coin, just as with tradeskill quests today.

I realize that this is essentially what you can do via the chat channels,
but in my limited experience, there's more "chatting" than "dealing" going
on there.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarven Guardian on Highkeep

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:46:14 +0100, Henrik Dissing
<sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 19:56:26 GMT, Wolfie wrote:
>
>>> I meant begging as in trawling the trading channels looking for
>>> someone to barter/deal with.
>
>>Easy enough if you're ordering goods; otherwise you
>>just buy from a (player) merchant/broker.
>
>Still, I wish there was a formalized way of out-sourcing. I.e., a way to
>announce on the market that you need e.g. 10 crude Burlap Patterns and is
>willing to pay 50s for them. A reversed broker concept, so to speak. The guy
>who gets the order would see it in his journal as a tradeskill quest, and
>once completed, he would be instructed to contact the customer for the
>exchange of goods and coin, just as with tradeskill quests today.
>
>I realize that this is essentially what you can do via the chat channels,
>but in my limited experience, there's more "chatting" than "dealing" going
>on there.

I'm lucky in that I'm in a guild, so almost any anything I need can be
obtained in a day or so (we have a website, and we have a forum for
crafting requests) and for a good price (we have 2 tiers of pricing,
guild and non-guild).

If I was playing alone, crafting would be almost impossible, or at
least very expensive, without the use of alts.

And what's with all the carrots ?

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:20:33 GMT, Wolfie wrote:

>Assuming people continue to level the tradeskill societies
>you won't need anything except coin. As the society levels
>it offers more goods.

But is that a reasonable assumption?

I joined my tradeskill specific society, The Seven Smiths Society in
Graystone Yard, this weekend, and I'm already ranked 2 out of 2-300 members
after completing 6 orders; number one has 900 pts. I don't think there's 30
ppl there who have done more than one order.

I know why this is. There's little or no incitement to do society orders. I
bet most ppl don't even realize the benefits of a higher-level society, and
society orders are generally such poor business, that you feel an idiot
doing them.

You can hardly blame people for finding their coin numbers more interesting
than obscure concepts like society level and status points. The worst thing
is that there's no easy way to mobilize the necessary team spirit.

When I look at how little progress my society has done towards level two
this weekend, despite my own intense efforts, I doubt that I can keep up the
spirit for very long. After all, who's thanking me for it? More or less
alone I'll never be able to make a difference.

Speaking of ignorance, are there any side-effects of a high personal society
status or is it just there for the glory of those of us silly enough to put
a tremendous amount of effort into the society for the benefit of a large
number of lazy egoists :)
--

Henrik Dissing wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:20:33 GMT, Wolfie wrote:
>
>> Assuming people continue to level the tradeskill societies
>> you won't need anything except coin. As the society levels
>> it offers more goods.
>
> But is that a reasonable assumption?

AFAIK most of the hard-core crafters tend to join one
society. You can join any of them, not just the one in
your home suburb.

> Speaking of ignorance, are there any side-effects of a high personal
> society status or is it just there for the glory of those of us silly
> enough to put a tremendous amount of effort into the society for the
> benefit of a large number of lazy egoists :)

As I understand it:

Society level determines what they sell (basically items from
the same tier players would be in at the same level -- newbie
through 9, Ant/CmnLands 10-19, TS at 20 and so on.)
Status determines what they'll sell *you* (items for which
your status isn't high enough won't be displayed.)

> As I understand it:
>
> Society level determines what they sell (basically items from
> the same tier players would be in at the same level -- newbie
> through 9, Ant/CmnLands 10-19, TS at 20 and so on.)
> Status determines what they'll sell *you* (items for which
> your status isn't high enough won't be displayed.)

The point is, such a benefit is not immediately tangible. Let's say you get
a society request to make 10 threadbare pantaloons. When you turn in that
quest, your reward is 9 silver. Unless you make all the components for that
order on your own (tedious at the least) it costs MORE to fill the order
than you obtain as a reward. You get more than that by turning in 15 iron
for 12 silver and all the mining takes is time.

Add to this the problem that the society quests to make items generally
request items that are in fact low enough in level relative to your skill
that any experience gain you receive from making the items is minimal at
best. Every order I've had so far has been for items that were green to me.
In fact, the new tradeskill city writs that went in this week were even
worse, giving me a request to make items that are grey to me. So there will
be no experience gain from filling the request. (Though, admittedly the
personal status points of a writ can be turned into a tangible asset, it
would be preferable to be able to gain some tradeskill experience while
fulfilling the reqeust). But if that happens on a regular tradeskill
society quest? Most people, including myself by now, will simply say it
isn't worth the bother. If any society levels, it will be the general
beginner's society simply because the tangible reward is higher versus the
cost to produce the requested items.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:40:40 GMT, toolstech wrote:

>"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in message
>> As I understand it:
>>
>> Society level determines what they sell (basically items from
>> the same tier players would be in at the same level -- newbie
>> through 9, Ant/CmnLands 10-19, TS at 20 and so on.)
>> Status determines what they'll sell *you* (items for which
>> your status isn't high enough won't be displayed.)
>
>The point is, such a benefit is not immediately tangible. Let's say you get
>a society request to make 10 threadbare pantaloons. When you turn in that
>quest, your reward is 9 silver. Unless you make all the components for that
>order on your own (tedious at the least) it costs MORE to fill the order
>than you obtain as a reward. You get more than that by turning in 15 iron
>for 12 silver and all the mining takes is time.

Personally, that wouldn't stop me if my tradeskill society felt more like "a
group of people" and less of "a place to craft". More like a guild, so to
speak.

Maybe, if the society had a chat channel and web site, it would be possible
to do the necessary team-building. There could also be some benefits or
titles for those with highest rank to incite people to compete.

As it is now, I think most people don't even realize the potential in
fulfilling society orders. I know I didn't, until I asked on a crafting
channel.
--

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:05:48 GMT, Wolfie wrote:

>AFAIK most of the hard-core crafters tend to join one
>society. You can join any of them, not just the one in
>your home suburb.

I knew that, but how do I determine which society to join, then? I know I
can see all the societies listed with current level and number of members,
but how do I know what their specialty is?

Of course, I could travel around and see who'll let me in, but I'd hate to
resign from my current society, and lose my hard-earned status points,
unless I'm certain to find something better. It's also very convenient to
have my room, wholesaler and outfitter society in the same zone.

Does anybody know where the serious Qeynos outfitters meet on the Highkeep
server?
--

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote in
>

> >> The problem I had with the wholesaler quest to make items was that it
> >> required me to make items completely outside my area of expertise.
> >> If I had been asked to make some number of items in the area I chose
> >> to learn that would be one thing, but when I was asked to tailor 10
> >> items, it was a joke, I had not ever even made one single tailored
> >> item up to that point.
> >>

> > This is only a problem at certain levels. 10 - 11 and 20 - 21. At 10
> > it is picking a level 8 artisian recepie at random, so it could be
> > from any skill. At level 20 it is picking an 18 recepie from your
> > second class, not your final one. So you could end up as a scribe
> > with an alchemy assignment. With the exceptions of those two ranges,
> > it's not an issue.
> >
> > If you have a bad quest, just wait a bit and ask the wholesaler for a
> > replacement quest. If you go up a level during that interval, you're
> > more likely to get what you want as well.
> >

> I just got another one yesterday, I'll fill it and see what happens, this
> one was indeed for my seconday skill of scribe, not my primary of
> alchemy. At least I already had a friend make up a couple of stacks of
> the quills and paper I will need for it.

They really should fix that bug. I know its not a huge one, or one that
interferes with gameplay... but it should be easy to fix, and it hits
*everyone*, since the first thing they do upon hitting 10 is join their
wholesaler and get this quest. It leads to some unfortunate assumptions
about the way the wholesaler quests will continue. : /

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote in

>> > This is only a problem at certain levels. 10 - 11 and 20 - 21. At
>> > 10 it is picking a level 8 artisian recepie at random, so it could
>> > be from any skill. At level 20 it is picking an 18 recepie from
>> > your second class, not your final one. So you could end up as a
>> > scribe with an alchemy assignment. With the exceptions of those
>> > two ranges, it's not an issue.
>> >
>> > If you have a bad quest, just wait a bit and ask the wholesaler for
>> > a replacement quest. If you go up a level during that interval,
>> > you're more likely to get what you want as well.
>> >

>> I just got another one yesterday, I'll fill it and see what happens,
>> this one was indeed for my seconday skill of scribe, not my primary
>> of alchemy. At least I already had a friend make up a couple of
>> stacks of the quills and paper I will need for it.
>
> They really should fix that bug. I know its not a huge one, or one
> that interferes with gameplay... but it should be easy to fix, and it
> hits *everyone*, since the first thing they do upon hitting 10 is join
> their wholesaler and get this quest. It leads to some unfortunate
> assumptions about the way the wholesaler quests will continue. : /

It is annoying, given that I have just spent 16 tradeskill levels doing
nothing but alchemy, a few spells for myself and friends, and some
support items for the spells, paper and quills. I really should be
getting alchemy orders to fill at this point. The up side, is I have not
really made a final decision on which skill to pursue, still waffling
between alchemy and scribe.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>