Painting the INSIDE of a case

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Ok, so what about painting the inside of a case? Say, if you have a particular color case with a window and you think it'd look cool to paint the inside to accent it? Would painting the inside hurt the cooling effect of the metal? Or does it just not make a difference? Has anyone done this and have any recommendations as to what kind of paint?

<font color=blue>This guy here is <i><b>dead!</b></i></font color=blue>
<font color=red>Cross him <i><b>off</b></i> then.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've used plastic cases without a large impact on cooling. So paint should have little effect. The reason is, most of the cooling is done by the fans displacing warm air with cool air.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
thanks. the reason I asked is because I want to get a black case with some blue lights and I hate the cheap silver metal look inside the case. I want to paint the inside black to match the outside. It mutes the lights and helps the parts (not the shiny metal) stand out.

let me know how it turns out, im interested in this, and I might just have to do the same if there arnt any problems.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
no problem. I'm leaning away from normal spray paint. I want to find a friend with an airbrush. I think I'll have more control over all of it. I'm also trying to find a case that comes almost completely apart. The Aspire X-Dreamer, I believe is a good candidate because both sides, the top, and mobo tray (via screws) come off.

My last two custom cases I painted the inside. Make sure you use a good primer with sveral thin coats to make sure your color coat sticks well.

Spray cans work great if you take your time, and use a clear coat on top (couple of good coats on the clear). I'll have to try and find some pictures to post, with the clear coat on top, my cases turn out just as shiney as any car paint job.

As far as paint type, doesn't really matter, I normally just use automotive paint.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
thanks. I did plan on doing a primer coat, a black coat, and a clear coat. I just got my new fans in and my case should not only look good, but be "vewy vewy quiet." Case comes in next week and I'll be gone next weekend so I'll try to post some pics of it in about a week and a half. Thanks guys.