Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy with win 98
but I am stuck on this one.

Greg wrote:
> Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy with
> win 98 but I am stuck on this one.

Why?
There's no real need nor advantage to defragmenting something as small as a
floppy diskette.

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

For Shenan;\
So you are not going to tell me how to defrag a floppy, just ask why?
I was told these newsgroups were helpful, but I guess your ego just got in
the way.

> Greg wrote:
>> Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy with
>> win 98 but I am stuck on this one.
>
> Why?
> There's no real need nor advantage to defragmenting something as small as
> a floppy diskette.
>
> --
>>=- Shenan -=<
>>=- MS MVP -=<
> --
> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
> are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
> them lightly.

Greg

These newsgroups are helpful, and Shenan is telling you how it is.. the fact
that Win 9x made it possible does not mean that there was any advantage to
defragging a diskette..

It is your ego that seems to be in the way here.. if you want to close the
spaces up on a diskette, copy the contents back to the drive and then copy
back to the diskette.. it may take you all of thirty seconds and you will
see no advantage..

I would also add that remarks like yours will gain you no favours with ANY
helpers here.. I fail to understand why so many come here with preconceived
ideas that are obviously not right, and then denigrate the help and advice
that is given to them..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

Greg wrote:
> Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy
> with win 98 but I am stuck on this one.

Shenan Stanley wrote> Why?

Greg wrote:
> For Shenan;\
> So you are not going to tell me how to defrag a floppy, just ask why?
> I was told these newsgroups were helpful, but I guess your ego just
> got in the way.

No ego. Just trying to point out that just because it is/was possible to
do - it doesn't make it right/necessary/desired.

Being so small, the easiest way - as always (and safest) is to copy the
information off the diskette onto your hard drive, format the diskette
(full) and copy the information back to the floppy. There is just not that
much space on a floppy diskette and moving things around on this
"self-destructive" media is dangerous at best. I have personally witnessed
way too many students at college lose their work because they were working
directly off floppy disks - which just does not work well with Microsoft
Office products.. (Temp files and such without warning fill up the diskette,
user tries to save, no space, office locks up - two hours of work gone.. Or
they leave the diskette in their backpack and *poof*, "something" happens,
cannot read the diskette, even on a Macintosh.)

Perhaps this is one of the reasons the ability to defragment such media has
been removed from the OS series. There has to be reasons this type of media
is going away - and in my opinion it is size, reliability, storage (actual
physical size/weight) and compatibility. Many times, a floppy disk drive is
a special order item on new PCs now.

My suggestion is to not store anything on floppy diskettes. Invest in
CD-R/CD-RWs - which many times are actually CHEAPER than floppy diskettes
and definitively hold more. They also do not have fragmentation problems
nor are they as easily destroyed/messed up and there are very FEW machines
that do not have CD drives - so compatibility is not at issue.

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
them lightly.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Shenan,
Thank you very much for the explanation. Now I understand amd appreciate it.
Semms like Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" has a real attitude problem.
Must think he is something special.
And I will not return to this newsgroup.

> Greg wrote:
>> Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy
>> with win 98 but I am stuck on this one.
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote> Why?
>> There's no real need nor advantage to defragmenting something as
>> small as a floppy diskette.
>
> Greg wrote:
>> For Shenan;\
>> So you are not going to tell me how to defrag a floppy, just ask why?
>> I was told these newsgroups were helpful, but I guess your ego just
>> got in the way.
>
> No ego. Just trying to point out that just because it is/was possible to
> do - it doesn't make it right/necessary/desired.
>
> Being so small, the easiest way - as always (and safest) is to copy the
> information off the diskette onto your hard drive, format the diskette
> (full) and copy the information back to the floppy. There is just not
> that much space on a floppy diskette and moving things around on this
> "self-destructive" media is dangerous at best. I have personally
> witnessed way too many students at college lose their work because they
> were working directly off floppy disks - which just does not work well
> with Microsoft Office products.. (Temp files and such without warning fill
> up the diskette, user tries to save, no space, office locks up - two hours
> of work gone.. Or they leave the diskette in their backpack and *poof*,
> "something" happens, cannot read the diskette, even on a Macintosh.)
>
> Perhaps this is one of the reasons the ability to defragment such media
> has been removed from the OS series. There has to be reasons this type of
> media is going away - and in my opinion it is size, reliability, storage
> (actual physical size/weight) and compatibility. Many times, a floppy
> disk drive is a special order item on new PCs now.
>
> My suggestion is to not store anything on floppy diskettes. Invest in
> CD-R/CD-RWs - which many times are actually CHEAPER than floppy diskettes
> and definitively hold more. They also do not have fragmentation problems
> nor are they as easily destroyed/messed up and there are very FEW machines
> that do not have CD drives - so compatibility is not at issue.
>
> --
>>=- Shenan -=<
>>=- MS MVP -=<
> --
> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
> are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
> them lightly.

Greg

Just to remind you of who showed attitude first.. all your own words..

"For Shenan;\
So you are not going to tell me how to defrag a floppy, just ask why?
I was told these newsgroups were helpful, but I guess your ego just got in
the way."

Are you proud of your attitude?.. Do you expect us, or anybody, to be all
'sweetness and light' when talked to in the above manner?..

--

> [...]
>> CD-R/CD-RWs - which many times are actually CHEAPER than floppy diskettes
>> and definitively hold more. They also do not have fragmentation problems
>> nor are they as easily destroyed/messed up and there are very FEW
>> machines that do not have CD drives - so compatibility is not at issue.
>>
>> --
>>>=- Shenan -=<
>>>=- MS MVP -=<
>> --
>> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
>> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
>> are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
>> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
>> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
>> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss

If one has data on a floppy then it is the most important thing to defrag. This is where defrag pays off big (it would pay off big on CDRoms too but they tend to be defragged when they're made). This is due to very slow access speeds of floppies.

Move the files to your hard disk, move them back to floppy.

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:unCB8$4UFHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Greg wrote:
>> Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy with
>> win 98 but I am stuck on this one.
>
> Why?
> There's no real need nor advantage to defragmenting something as small as a
> floppy diskette.
>
> --
>>=- Shenan -=<
>>=- MS MVP -=<
> --
> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
> are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
> them lightly.

Greg I totally disagree. I have found these groups tremendously helpful.
Inevitably responses get compressed but for you to interpret that as
attitude is unreasonable. The response you got was helpful - to me anyway -
and I suggest you re-read it.

I think Mike Hall must be special in terms of this group to take up his own
spare time to write responses to people like you that don't have any
gratitude and to be frank, do appear to have an attitude.

> [...]
>> CD-R/CD-RWs - which many times are actually CHEAPER than floppy diskettes
>> and definitively hold more. They also do not have fragmentation problems
>> nor are they as easily destroyed/messed up and there are very FEW
>> machines that do not have CD drives - so compatibility is not at issue.
>>
>> --
>>>=- Shenan -=<
>>>=- MS MVP -=<
>> --
>> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
>> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
>> are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
>> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
>> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
>> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss

Broooz

We don't do the job for thanks, and we rarely get any (applies to all who
volunteer here).. so your message is accepted with a smile.. thanks..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

On Mon, 09 May 2005 22:16:16 GMT, "Broooz" <reply@newsgroup.com>
wrote:

>I think Mike Hall must be special in terms of this group to take up his own
>spare time to write responses to people like you that don't have any
>gratitude and to be frank, do appear to have an attitude.

Mike Hall is a complete arse. The only reason he gives up his time is
to prove that to all and sundry.

--
Cheers,

Guy