defrag floppy

Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy with win 98
but I am stuck on this one.
10 answers Last reply
More about defrag floppy

    Greg wrote:
    > Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy with
    > win 98 but I am stuck on this one.

    Why?
    There's no real need nor advantage to defragmenting something as small as a
    floppy diskette.

    --
    --
    The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

    For Shenan;\
    So you are not going to tell me how to defrag a floppy, just ask why?
    I was told these newsgroups were helpful, but I guess your ego just got in
    the way.

    > Greg wrote:
    >> Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy with
    >> win 98 but I am stuck on this one.
    >
    > Why?
    > There's no real need nor advantage to defragmenting something as small as
    > a floppy diskette.
    >
    > --
    >>=- Shenan -=<
    >>=- MS MVP -=<
    > --
    > The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    > suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
    > are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
    > Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
    > compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
    > your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
    > them lightly.

    Greg

    These newsgroups are helpful, and Shenan is telling you how it is.. the fact
    that Win 9x made it possible does not mean that there was any advantage to
    defragging a diskette..

    It is your ego that seems to be in the way here.. if you want to close the
    spaces up on a diskette, copy the contents back to the drive and then copy
    back to the diskette.. it may take you all of thirty seconds and you will
    see no advantage..

    I would also add that remarks like yours will gain you no favours with ANY
    helpers here.. I fail to understand why so many come here with preconceived
    ideas that are obviously not right, and then denigrate the help and advice
    that is given to them..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Greg wrote:
    > Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy
    > with win 98 but I am stuck on this one.

    Shenan Stanley wrote> Why?

    Greg wrote:
    > For Shenan;\
    > So you are not going to tell me how to defrag a floppy, just ask why?
    > I was told these newsgroups were helpful, but I guess your ego just
    > got in the way.

    No ego. Just trying to point out that just because it is/was possible to
    do - it doesn't make it right/necessary/desired.

    Being so small, the easiest way - as always (and safest) is to copy the
    information off the diskette onto your hard drive, format the diskette
    (full) and copy the information back to the floppy. There is just not that
    much space on a floppy diskette and moving things around on this
    "self-destructive" media is dangerous at best. I have personally witnessed
    way too many students at college lose their work because they were working
    directly off floppy disks - which just does not work well with Microsoft
    Office products.. (Temp files and such without warning fill up the diskette,
    user tries to save, no space, office locks up - two hours of work gone.. Or
    they leave the diskette in their backpack and *poof*, "something" happens,
    cannot read the diskette, even on a Macintosh.)

    Perhaps this is one of the reasons the ability to defragment such media has
    been removed from the OS series. There has to be reasons this type of media
    is going away - and in my opinion it is size, reliability, storage (actual
    physical size/weight) and compatibility. Many times, a floppy disk drive is
    a special order item on new PCs now.

    My suggestion is to not store anything on floppy diskettes. Invest in
    CD-R/CD-RWs - which many times are actually CHEAPER than floppy diskettes
    and definitively hold more. They also do not have fragmentation problems
    nor are they as easily destroyed/messed up and there are very FEW machines
    that do not have CD drives - so compatibility is not at issue.

    --
    --
    The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
    are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
    Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
    compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
    your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
    them lightly.

    Shenan,
    Thank you very much for the explanation. Now I understand amd appreciate it.
    Semms like Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" has a real attitude problem.
    Must think he is something special.
    And I will not return to this newsgroup.

    > Greg wrote:
    >> Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy
    >> with win 98 but I am stuck on this one.
    >
    > Shenan Stanley wrote> Why?
    >> There's no real need nor advantage to defragmenting something as
    >> small as a floppy diskette.
    >
    > Greg wrote:
    >> For Shenan;\
    >> So you are not going to tell me how to defrag a floppy, just ask why?
    >> I was told these newsgroups were helpful, but I guess your ego just
    >> got in the way.
    >
    > No ego. Just trying to point out that just because it is/was possible to
    > do - it doesn't make it right/necessary/desired.
    >
    > Being so small, the easiest way - as always (and safest) is to copy the
    > information off the diskette onto your hard drive, format the diskette
    > (full) and copy the information back to the floppy. There is just not
    > that much space on a floppy diskette and moving things around on this
    > "self-destructive" media is dangerous at best. I have personally
    > witnessed way too many students at college lose their work because they
    > were working directly off floppy disks - which just does not work well
    > with Microsoft Office products.. (Temp files and such without warning fill
    > up the diskette, user tries to save, no space, office locks up - two hours
    > of work gone.. Or they leave the diskette in their backpack and *poof*,
    > "something" happens, cannot read the diskette, even on a Macintosh.)
    >
    > Perhaps this is one of the reasons the ability to defragment such media
    > has been removed from the OS series. There has to be reasons this type of
    > media is going away - and in my opinion it is size, reliability, storage
    > (actual physical size/weight) and compatibility. Many times, a floppy
    > disk drive is a special order item on new PCs now.
    >
    > My suggestion is to not store anything on floppy diskettes. Invest in
    > CD-R/CD-RWs - which many times are actually CHEAPER than floppy diskettes
    > and definitively hold more. They also do not have fragmentation problems
    > nor are they as easily destroyed/messed up and there are very FEW machines
    > that do not have CD drives - so compatibility is not at issue.
    >
    > --
    >>=- Shenan -=<
    >>=- MS MVP -=<
    > --
    > The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    > suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
    > are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
    > Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
    > compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
    > your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
    > them lightly.

    Greg

    Just to remind you of who showed attitude first.. all your own words..

    "For Shenan;\
    So you are not going to tell me how to defrag a floppy, just ask why?
    I was told these newsgroups were helpful, but I guess your ego just got in
    the way."

    Are you proud of your attitude?.. Do you expect us, or anybody, to be all
    'sweetness and light' when talked to in the above manner?..

    --

> [...]
    >> CD-R/CD-RWs - which many times are actually CHEAPER than floppy diskettes
    >> and definitively hold more. They also do not have fragmentation problems
    >> nor are they as easily destroyed/messed up and there are very FEW
    >> machines that do not have CD drives - so compatibility is not at issue.
    >>
    >> --
    >>>=- Shenan -=<
    >>>=- MS MVP -=<
    >> --
    >> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    >> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
    >> are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
    >> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
    >> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
    >> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss

    If one has data on a floppy then it is the most important thing to defrag. This is where defrag pays off big (it would pay off big on CDRoms too but they tend to be defragged when they're made). This is due to very slow access speeds of floppies.

    Move the files to your hard disk, move them back to floppy.

    "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:unCB8$4UFHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Greg wrote:
    >> Can someone tell me how to defrag a floppy with win xp, Was easy with
    >> win 98 but I am stuck on this one.
    >
    > Why?
    > There's no real need nor advantage to defragmenting something as small as a
    > floppy diskette.
    >
    > --
    >>=- Shenan -=<
    >>=- MS MVP -=<
    > --
    > The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    > suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
    > are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
    > Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
    > compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
    > your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
    > them lightly.

    Greg I totally disagree. I have found these groups tremendously helpful.
    Inevitably responses get compressed but for you to interpret that as
    attitude is unreasonable. The response you got was helpful - to me anyway -
    and I suggest you re-read it.

    I think Mike Hall must be special in terms of this group to take up his own
    spare time to write responses to people like you that don't have any
    gratitude and to be frank, do appear to have an attitude.

> [...]
    >> CD-R/CD-RWs - which many times are actually CHEAPER than floppy diskettes
    >> and definitively hold more. They also do not have fragmentation problems
    >> nor are they as easily destroyed/messed up and there are very FEW
    >> machines that do not have CD drives - so compatibility is not at issue.
    >>
    >> --
    >>>=- Shenan -=<
    >>>=- MS MVP -=<
    >> --
    >> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    >> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
    >> are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
    >> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
    >> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
    >> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Broooz

    We don't do the job for thanks, and we rarely get any (applies to all who
    volunteer here).. so your message is accepted with a smile.. thanks..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Broooz" <reply@newsgroup.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>>
    >>> My suggestion is to not store anything on floppy diskettes. Invest in
    >>> CD-R/CD-RWs - which many times are actually CHEAPER than floppy
    >>> diskettes and definitively hold more. They also do not have
    >>> fragmentation problems nor are they as easily destroyed/messed up and
    >>> there are very FEW machines that do not have CD drives - so
    >>> compatibility is not at issue.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> --
    >>> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    >>> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
    >>> are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
    >>> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
    >>> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
    >>> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 22:16:16 GMT, "Broooz" <reply@newsgroup.com>
    wrote:

    >I think Mike Hall must be special in terms of this group to take up his own
    >spare time to write responses to people like you that don't have any
    >gratitude and to be frank, do appear to have an attitude.

    Mike Hall is a complete arse. The only reason he gives up his time is
    to prove that to all and sundry.

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

Floppy Disk Defragment Microsoft Windows XP