Sign in with
Your question

help. How should i set these case fans????

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Fan
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 18, 2004 7:52:30 PM

I'm going to be modifying my case soon because I plan on putting an athlon 64 and few other things in. Now my question is what whould be the best place to put my Fans?? I'll have 3 normal 80 mm case fans to put in. Right now I'm thinking about putting two fans on the side, one blowing on the cpu and one blowing on the card(ati radeon 9600xt}. And one on the back sucking air out . I have only one fan whole on the back to place a fan, but doesn't the power supply fan count as one to. meaning two fans intakes and two outakes. I'm also considering buying one more fan to put above the power supply, but wouldn't that be to many fans blowing air out( 1 outake behind,power supply, and outake fan "above" the power supply} compared to 2 on the side blowing in? Or should i take one of the fans of the side blowing on the cards and put it in the front. I don't really see having one on the front because it doesn't actully blow on anything. I have to make my own Blow holes, but i don't know what kind of tool i could use on the side of the case. It's basically thin metal. What tool could i use?

More about : set case fans

September 19, 2004 4:51:09 AM

Actually the front fan is good for circulating air around the harddrives.

As for fans putting them in the locations you mentioned is are good ideals. Try them each as both intake and exhaust, every case performs different. My last case I had a fan blowing in on the video card to reduce GPU temps. My latest case dropped the GPU temps when I made that fan an exhaust.

Don't worry about having more exhuast, or more intake (even though equal is ideal), you can't really make them perfectly equal, and a PC case isn't sealed tight enough for it to affect you (It will suck air in if it needs it, or force air out if need be).

As for cutting holes in the case, you need a <b>3" hole saw</b>. You can get them at hardware stores (not all carry them this large, many only carry up 2.5"), I found mine at HomeDepot. Heres a <b>big tip</b> before you try and use the hole saw, use a punch, or small phillips screwdriver, and smack it with a hammer to make a small indentation where the center of the fan should be. This indentation will keep the hole saw from moving around while trying to drill through.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html&lt;/A>
September 19, 2004 5:38:16 AM

I'm considering machining some large hole punches, are you interested?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
September 20, 2004 2:09:49 AM

Not an ideal (someone's concept of perfection), just an idea (a concept). Hole punches are cleaner and only require a hole large enough for the draw bolt. You can buy them/make them any size you want, they're much simpler than hole saws.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!