Windows Update states I don't have Windows!

Hi,
When attempting to access Windows Update I receive the following message:
"Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
most out of your computer.

You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
Windows Update."

I have an eight month old Sony Vaio running Windows XP Home edition with
SP2. Any ideas as to why Update doesn't recognize it's own Microsoft
operating system?
Thanks, Raven

Using something other than IE as your default browser?

"WINUP: Cannot Access Windows Update When Netscape Is the Default Web
Browser"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230054

The article contains some other suggestions to help with the error message.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Raven" <Raven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> When attempting to access Windows Update I receive the following message:
> "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
>
> Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
> most out of your computer.
>
> You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
> Windows Update."
>
> I have an eight month old Sony Vaio running Windows XP Home edition with
> SP2. Any ideas as to why Update doesn't recognize it's own Microsoft
> operating system?
> Thanks, Raven

Hi Ted,
Yes IE 6 for SP2 is my default browser. Went to the article you suggested
and tried to find any IE D/L which may help, so I tried the only one I could
figure I hadn't gotten: KB885932. Installed it, but no go... I didn't realize
that there's also a forum about Windows Update before I posted here
originally, but having a look there seems to point to something on the go
with the Windows update function. I hope this is not something that will take
weeks to find out what's on the go!!
Thanks, Raven