reformat and load

Hi,
A friend has a S5000nx (I believe) and wants to reformat and reload Win98SE
on it. How can I get all the drivers that I will need? Has anyone here done
this?

thanks,
George
13 answers Last reply
More about reformat load

    The S5000NX shipped with Windows XP. Earlier Microsoft operating systems are
    not supported. XP drivers are here:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=359576&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228

    Hh

    "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > A friend has a S5000nx (I believe) and wants to reformat and reload
    Win98SE
    > on it. How can I get all the drivers that I will need? Has anyone here
    done
    > this?
    >
    > thanks,
    > George

    HH,
    Is it possible to do this, reformat the Compaq with 98SE and be able to get
    the needed drivers? We created the disks from the Compaq, I think there are
    7 other them. These are for doing a factory restall.
    Here's the problem, the darn thing is so slow and there is a ton of junk on
    it. I figured reformat, and load Win 98SE. My problem is getting all the
    right drivers. Have you done anything like this, can you help me out?
    thanks,
    George

    HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The S5000NX shipped with Windows XP. Earlier Microsoft operating systems
    are
    > not supported. XP drivers are here:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=359576&lang=en&cc=us
    &lc=en&dlc=en&os=228

    > Hh
    >
    > "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > A friend has a S5000nx (I believe) and wants to reformat and reload
    > Win98SE
    > > on it. How can I get all the drivers that I will need? Has anyone here
    > done
    > > this?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > George

    The reason it was slow under XP is insufficient RAM, and, less important,
    a relatively slow hard drive.
    The S5000NX shipped with only 128MB, insufficient for XP. With 32MB gone
    for graphics, the S5000NX only had 96MB available physical memory for the
    OS. IMHO, it is irresponsible for ANY PC maker to ship an XP machine with
    less than 256MB, especially those that must share system memory with the
    graphics subsystem, such as the S5000NX. Consider 256MB the bare minimum,
    512 is much better.
    With 512MB, the S5000NX should run XP just fine.
    And no, I've never downgraded XP, or W2K for that matter, to the older
    Win 9X, so I'm afraid I can be of no assistance there. You would have to
    obtain the Win 9X drivers from the OEM vendors, if you can find them.
    I hope you have not already wiped the drive.

    > HH,
    > Is it possible to do this, reformat the Compaq with 98SE and be able to
    get
    > the needed drivers? We created the disks from the Compaq, I think there
    are
    > 7 other them. These are for doing a factory restall.
    > Here's the problem, the darn thing is so slow and there is a ton of junk
    on
    > it. I figured reformat, and load Win 98SE. My problem is getting all the
    > right drivers. Have you done anything like this, can you help me out?
    > thanks,
    > George
    >

    > HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > The S5000NX shipped with Windows XP. Earlier Microsoft operating systems
    > are
    > > not supported. XP drivers are here:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=359576&lang=en&cc=us
    > &lc=en&dlc=en&os=228
    > >
    > > Hh
    > >
    > > "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > A friend has a S5000nx (I believe) and wants to reformat and reload
    > > Win98SE
    > > > on it. How can I get all the drivers that I will need? Has anyone here
    > > done
    > > > this?
    > > >
    > > > thanks,
    > > > George

    George,
    it might be easier to upgrade the memory. if you wish to go back to 98
    you need the realtek alc202a audio driver and the rtl8100 lan driver
    they are available at http://www.realtek.com.tw/ .the video for
    the 845gl is avaiable at
    http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/845g.htm
    i had less luck with the cheetah 3 modem . the only drivers i found
    weree a cheetah 2 driver at driverguide and a generic at
    http://agere.com
    hope this helps,
    terry

    ==============

    Terry,
    Have you tried to change over? Are these the only drivers I would need for
    this format, audio, lan, video? The modem is no big deal if it can't be
    found. Are there any other drivers needed to make this work?
    If after trying this and it doesn't work for some reason, can't I just go
    back to factory with the disks or the program on the partictioned section of
    the hard drive? Your help is appreciated.
    thanks,
    George

    terry_b17 <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > George,
    > it might be easier to upgrade the memory. if you wish to go back to 98
    > you need the realtek alc202a audio driver and the rtl8100 lan driver
    > they are available at http://www.realtek.com.tw/ .the video for
    > the 845gl is avaiable at
    > http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/845g.htm
    > i had less luck with the cheetah 3 modem . the only drivers i found
    > weree a cheetah 2 driver at driverguide and a generic at
    > http://agere.com
    > hope this helps,
    > terry
    >
    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Downgrading the OS does not address the issue with this machine.
    Upgrade the RAM and live happily ever after.

    > Terry,
    > Have you tried to change over? Are these the only drivers I would need for
    > this format, audio, lan, video? The modem is no big deal if it can't be
    > found. Are there any other drivers needed to make this work?
    > If after trying this and it doesn't work for some reason, can't I just go
    > back to factory with the disks or the program on the partictioned section
    of
    > the hard drive? Your help is appreciated.
    > thanks,
    > George
    >

    > terry_b17 <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > George,
    > > it might be easier to upgrade the memory. if you wish to go back to 98
    > > you need the realtek alc202a audio driver and the rtl8100 lan driver
    > > they are available at http://www.realtek.com.tw/ .the video for
    > > the 845gl is avaiable at
    > > http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/845g.htm
    > > i had less luck with the cheetah 3 modem . the only drivers i found
    > > weree a cheetah 2 driver at driverguide and a generic at
    > > http://agere.com
    > > hope this helps,
    > > terry
    > >
    > > ==============
    > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    > troubleshooting newsgroups.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    George,
    i have never gone backwards like you are attempting . if it was me the
    first thing i would do is upgrade the memory . the best thing i did
    on my system was when i upgraded to 256 and i have 98 . you could try
    the 98 thing but your time might be better spent upgrading the
    memory and sorting the applications he has running in the backround
    whatever os you choose make sure to install the latest security
    updates and a good firewall along with your antivirus .
    good luck,
    terry

    ==============
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    No one has asked the obvious question.

    Why go from a modern, dependable operating system to an outdated,
    unsupported, unreliable operating system?

    OK, perhaps harsh, but seriously, what's the motivation for putting an OS on
    the machine that isn't supported?

    Tom
    > George,
    > i have never gone backwards like you are attempting . if it was me the
    > first thing i would do is upgrade the memory . the best thing i did
    > on my system was when i upgraded to 256 and i have 98 . you could try
    > the 98 thing but your time might be better spent upgrading the
    > memory and sorting the applications he has running in the backround
    > whatever os you choose make sure to install the latest security
    > updates and a good firewall along with your antivirus .
    > good luck,
    > terry
    >
    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    I wanted to ask the same question, but likely the OP did not know the
    earlier OS was not supported. I agree 100% that no one in their right mind
    should consider downgrading from XP, or even W2K for that matter, to any Win
    9X version. Buy the RAM and enjoy the stable OS.
    HH

    > No one has asked the obvious question.
    >
    > Why go from a modern, dependable operating system to an outdated,
    > unsupported, unreliable operating system?
    >
    > OK, perhaps harsh, but seriously, what's the motivation for putting an OS
    on
    > the machine that isn't supported?
    >
    > Tom
    > "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > George,
    > > i have never gone backwards like you are attempting . if it was me the
    > > first thing i would do is upgrade the memory . the best thing i did
    > > on my system was when i upgraded to 256 and i have 98 . you could try
    > > the 98 thing but your time might be better spent upgrading the
    > > memory and sorting the applications he has running in the backround
    > > whatever os you choose make sure to install the latest security
    > > updates and a good firewall along with your antivirus .
    > > good luck,
    > > terry
    > >
    > > ==============
    > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    > troubleshooting newsgroups.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Well, first of all I've been using 98SE since running water and think it's
    the overall best Windows to date. Although I've never used XP, I have no
    reason to, I've heard people say they like it. Fo me, I have no reason to
    update anything.
    XP is a power hog, thus the reason for more RAM.
    I don't want to get into a shouting match about this or that. The only
    reason I want to change the OS is because my cousin is a new user, and we
    coresponse by phone. It's hard for me to tell him where to go or check this,
    when I'm not familar with XP, but rather 98SE. In fact, newer is NOT, always
    better. Take a look at Win ME. I like 98SE and I'm going to build a new
    system for me around it. Like I said, don't want no shouting matches, don't
    care, just wanted some help on finding the drivers for his system.
    I despately tried to talk him into letting me build a system for him, but he
    decided on the Compaq because it was cheaper,
    oh well.........
    thanks anyway for the help, although I didn't get any.

    > I wanted to ask the same question, but likely the OP did not know the
    > earlier OS was not supported. I agree 100% that no one in their right mind
    > should consider downgrading from XP, or even W2K for that matter, to any
    Win
    > 9X version. Buy the RAM and enjoy the stable OS.
    > HH

    > > No one has asked the obvious question.
    > >
    > > Why go from a modern, dependable operating system to an outdated,
    > > unsupported, unreliable operating system?
    > >
    > > OK, perhaps harsh, but seriously, what's the motivation for putting an
    OS
    > on
    > > the machine that isn't supported?
    > >
    > > Tom
    > > "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > > George,
    > > > i have never gone backwards like you are attempting . if it was me the
    > > > first thing i would do is upgrade the memory . the best thing i did
    > > > on my system was when i upgraded to 256 and i have 98 . you could try
    > > > the 98 thing but your time might be better spent upgrading the
    > > > memory and sorting the applications he has running in the backround
    > > > whatever os you choose make sure to install the latest security
    > > > updates and a good firewall along with your antivirus .
    > > > good luck,
    > > > terry
    > > >
    > > > ==============
    > > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    > > troubleshooting newsgroups.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Uh, don't knock it til you try it. And how do you compare against something
    you admit you never tried?
    Nevermind....

    > Well, first of all I've been using 98SE since running water and think it's
    > the overall best Windows to date. Although I've never used XP, I have no
    > reason to, I've heard people say they like it. Fo me, I have no reason to
    > update anything.
    > XP is a power hog, thus the reason for more RAM.
    > I don't want to get into a shouting match about this or that. The only
    > reason I want to change the OS is because my cousin is a new user, and we
    > coresponse by phone. It's hard for me to tell him where to go or check
    this,
    > when I'm not familar with XP, but rather 98SE. In fact, newer is NOT,
    always
    > better. Take a look at Win ME. I like 98SE and I'm going to build a new
    > system for me around it. Like I said, don't want no shouting matches,
    don't
    > care, just wanted some help on finding the drivers for his system.
    > I despately tried to talk him into letting me build a system for him, but
    he
    > decided on the Compaq because it was cheaper,
    > oh well.........
    > thanks anyway for the help, although I didn't get any.
    > George
    >

    > HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I wanted to ask the same question, but likely the OP did not know the
    > > earlier OS was not supported. I agree 100% that no one in their right
    mind
    > > should consider downgrading from XP, or even W2K for that matter, to any
    > Win
    > > 9X version. Buy the RAM and enjoy the stable OS.
    > > HH
    > >
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > > No one has asked the obvious question.
    > > >
    > > > Why go from a modern, dependable operating system to an outdated,
    > > > unsupported, unreliable operating system?
    > > >
    > > > OK, perhaps harsh, but seriously, what's the motivation for putting an
    > OS
    > > on
    > > > the machine that isn't supported?
    > > >
    > > > Tom
    > > > "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message

    > > > troubleshooting newsgroups.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    George,
    the sites i gave you for the drivers let you choose your os . while
    you are at intel make sure to get the inf installer etc .
    good luck,
    terry

    ==============
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    In article <j7yGc.21571$iJ4.7418@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
    >Well, first of all I've been using 98SE since running water and think it's
    >the overall best Windows to date. Although I've never used XP, I have no
    >reason to, I've heard people say they like it. Fo me, I have no reason to
    >update anything.
    >XP is a power hog, thus the reason for more RAM.
    >I don't want to get into a shouting match about this or that. The only
    >reason I want to change the OS is because my cousin is a new user, and we
    >coresponse by phone. It's hard for me to tell him where to go or check this,
    >when I'm not familar with XP, but rather 98SE. In fact, newer is NOT, always
    >better. Take a look at Win ME. I like 98SE and I'm going to build a new
    >system for me around it. Like I said, don't want no shouting matches, don't
    >care, just wanted some help on finding the drivers for his system.
    >I despately tried to talk him into letting me build a system for him, but he
    >decided on the Compaq because it was cheaper,
    >oh well.........
    >thanks anyway for the help, although I didn't get any.
    >George

    You are NOT doing him any favors by downgrading the system IMHO

    >HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I wanted to ask the same question, but likely the OP did not know the
    >> earlier OS was not supported. I agree 100% that no one in their right mind
    >> should consider downgrading from XP, or even W2K for that matter, to any
    >Win
    >> 9X version. Buy the RAM and enjoy the stable OS.
    >> HH
    >>
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >> > No one has asked the obvious question.
    >> >
    >> > Why go from a modern, dependable operating system to an outdated,
    >> > unsupported, unreliable operating system?
    >> >
    >> > OK, perhaps harsh, but seriously, what's the motivation for putting an
    >OS
    >> on
    >> > the machine that isn't supported?
    >> >
    >> > Tom