Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hello everyone,
Specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 @ 2.2ghz
7gig ddr2
ATI 4890 pcs+ OC to 950mhz gpu clock, 1050 mhz memory clock
Win 7 64 bit

I'm having issues running Battlefield 3. It used to run decently well, but as it has been updated (esp after the Karkand patch), and catalyst has also updated, performance keeps getting worse and worse, and atm it is totally unplayable.

My average fps is low 20's, but it occasionally spikes into the high 50s and 60s during regular play. This is at 1024x768, all settings low or off, blur off, vsync off.
Before all the patches, I was running at about 40 fps on mostly ultra/high @ 1920x1080.
I'm not having any issues with heat or stability as far as the card goes. It doesn't even appear to be working very hard, its never gone over 60% activity and stays below 60* celsius.

I think i might go insane if i have to keep playing in a little box on a corner of my screen just to keep fps in the 20s...

Good citizens of Tom'sHardware, SAVE ME! :cry:

shadow1942

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I'm amazed that you can play at 20 FPS, have you tried updating the driver for your card? just have a look and see if there's a beta version out for it. I recently tried the beta driver for my 580 and it made a big difference in FPS on the positive side.

Try lowetring your settings to medium to high rather than high to ultra, I'd suggest looking at this guide (see link below) as it goes through each setting and the difference between low,med,high and ultra and in some cases its just not worth doing high or ultra as you don't gain enough to make the system impact worth it. I know its Nvidia specific but the settings still apply to ATI

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/battlefield-3-tweak-guide