Can't log on properly

I keep getting the message 'Windows was unable to load the registry.' Event
ID: 1508.
DETAIL: An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The
registry could not read in, write out, or flush, one of the files that
contain the systems image of the registry for c/ Documents and
settings/linsey/ntuser.dat

It logs me on but I have none of my settings.Please can someone help?
3 answers Last reply
More about properly

    Hi linsey,

    See if the information in either of these MSKB articles helps you to resolve
    the problem:

    Troubleshooting profile unload issues

    "Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted" error message
    when you try to log on to Windows XP

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I keep getting the message 'Windows was unable to load the registry.'
    Event
    > ID: 1508.
    > DETAIL: An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably.
    The
    > registry could not read in, write out, or flush, one of the files that
    > contain the systems image of the registry for c/ Documents and
    > settings/linsey/ntuser.dat
    >
    > It logs me on but I have none of my settings.Please can someone help?

    Thanks Patti,
    I tried both. copied documents and settings of old user name into new
    documents and settings, but it won't let me see my old documents & picture
    stc, says it cant locate them.
    The other one hasen't worked either. When I log on as my old user its
    stopped displaying the error message but my whole computer has changed I
    can't get any of my original documents or settings. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't
    know what to do!
    Linsey

    "Patti MacLeod" wrote:

    > Hi linsey,
    >
    > See if the information in either of these MSKB articles helps you to resolve
    > the problem:
    >
    > Troubleshooting profile unload issues
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=837115
    >
    > "Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted" error message
    > when you try to log on to Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318011
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I keep getting the message 'Windows was unable to load the registry.'
    > Event
    > > ID: 1508.
    > > DETAIL: An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably.
    > The
    > > registry could not read in, write out, or flush, one of the files that
    > > contain the systems image of the registry for c/ Documents and
    > > settings/linsey/ntuser.dat
    > >
    > > It logs me on but I have none of my settings.Please can someone help?

    You're welcome, linsey :-)

    Assuming that you have not yet deleted the old user name profile, and that
    the old documents and pictures were saved to the My Documents and My
    Pictures folders, log onto the new user profile and navigate to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\linsey\My Documents
    If your old documents are still stored there, try copy/pasting them to
    C:\Documents and Settings\<new user profile name>\My Documents
    Do the same as above for your pictures, which, if previously saved to the My
    Pictures folder, would be in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\linsey\My Documents\My Pictures

    If, for some odd reason, you receive an Access Denied message when
    attempting to access your old user name profile's My Documents or My
    Pictures folders, follow the instructions in this MSKB article in order to
    take ownership of those folders:

    Regards,

    --

    > Thanks Patti,
    > I tried both. copied documents and settings of old user name into new
    > documents and settings, but it won't let me see my old documents & picture
    > stc, says it cant locate them.
    > The other one hasen't worked either. When I log on as my old user its
    > stopped displaying the error message but my whole computer has changed I
    > can't get any of my original documents or settings. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. I
    don't
    > know what to do!
    > Linsey
    >
    > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi linsey,
    > >
    > > See if the information in either of these MSKB articles helps you to
    resolve
    > > the problem:
    > >
    > > Troubleshooting profile unload issues
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=837115
    > >
    > > "Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted" error
    message
    > > when you try to log on to Windows XP
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318011
    > >

    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Patti MacLeod
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I keep getting the message 'Windows was unable to load the registry.'
    > > Event
    > > > ID: 1508.
    > > > DETAIL: An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed
    unrecoverably.
    > > The
    > > > registry could not read in, write out, or flush, one of the files that
    > > > contain the systems image of the registry for c/ Documents and
    > > > settings/linsey/ntuser.dat
    > > >
    > > > It logs me on but I have none of my settings.Please can someone help?

Microsoft Systems Registry Windows XP