How do I stop duplication and get rid of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti Virus,and
hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago Ijust happened to look
in my admin files and found an exact duplicate of everything on my desktop in
the admin files. Deleting anything out of the admin files also deletes it off
my desktop. Is there some way to change the settings to stop this from
occurring (I don't need duplicates of every program and file in my computer)
and to safely delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?

Whitewolfca

Any details of what "admin files" is?

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"whitewolfca" wrote:
|I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti
Virus,and
| hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago Ijust happened to
look
| in my admin files and found an exact duplicate of everything on my desktop
in
| the admin files. Deleting anything out of the admin files also deletes it
off
| my desktop. Is there some way to change the settings to stop this from
| occurring (I don't need duplicates of every program and file in my
computer)
| and to safely delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?
|
| Whitewolfca

The duplicates are in the Documents and Settings file on c drive in my
computer. These duplicates are currently using 46.9 GB of space. In documents
and settings under my user name is where the copy of everything on my desktop
is.

whitewolfca wrote:
> I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti
> Virus,and hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago
> Ijust happened to look in my admin files and found an exact duplicate
> of everything on my desktop in the admin files. Deleting anything out
> of the admin files also deletes it off my desktop. Is there some way
> to change the settings to stop this from occurring (I don't need
> duplicates of every program and file in my computer) and to safely
> delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?

Assuming you mean "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME" as admin files...
Then there is no "duplication", that is where things are actually at - the
screen is made "pretty" and accesses the information in that folder for your
benefit.

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

Okay thank you. That would make the desktop the shortcuts for easier access,
the D and S where this stuff actually resides and mean I have way too much
stuff on my computer. Now I feel like an idiot.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> whitewolfca wrote:
> > I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti
> > Virus,and hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago
> > Ijust happened to look in my admin files and found an exact duplicate
> > of everything on my desktop in the admin files. Deleting anything out
> > of the admin files also deletes it off my desktop. Is there some way
> > to change the settings to stop this from occurring (I don't need
> > duplicates of every program and file in my computer) and to safely
> > delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?
>
> Assuming you mean "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME" as admin files...
> Then there is no "duplication", that is where things are actually at - the
> screen is made "pretty" and accesses the information in that folder for your
> benefit.
>
> --
> >=- Shenan -=<
> >=- MS MVP -=<
> --
> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
> are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
> them lightly.

The only curious thing is that Mechanic Pro says I have 232,564 duplicate
files in16,264 folders.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> whitewolfca wrote:
> > I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti
> > Virus,and hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago
> > Ijust happened to look in my admin files and found an exact duplicate
> > of everything on my desktop in the admin files. Deleting anything out
> > of the admin files also deletes it off my desktop. Is there some way
> > to change the settings to stop this from occurring (I don't need
> > duplicates of every program and file in my computer) and to safely
> > delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?
>
> Assuming you mean "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME" as admin files...
> Then there is no "duplication", that is where things are actually at - the
> screen is made "pretty" and accesses the information in that folder for your
> benefit.
>
> --
> >=- Shenan -=<
> >=- MS MVP -=<
> --
> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
> are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
> them lightly.

As Shenan stated, your files are actually stored in the documents and
settings directory. All the stuff on your desktop are simply shortcuts - not
the files themselves