Closed

How do I stop duplication and get rid of them

I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti Virus,and
hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago Ijust happened to look
in my admin files and found an exact duplicate of everything on my desktop in
the admin files. Deleting anything out of the admin files also deletes it off
my desktop. Is there some way to change the settings to stop this from
occurring (I don't need duplicates of every program and file in my computer)
and to safely delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?

Whitewolfca
7 answers Last reply
More about stop duplication them

    Any details of what "admin files" is?

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "whitewolfca" wrote:
    |I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti
    Virus,and
    | hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago Ijust happened to
    look
    | in my admin files and found an exact duplicate of everything on my desktop
    in
    | the admin files. Deleting anything out of the admin files also deletes it
    off
    | my desktop. Is there some way to change the settings to stop this from
    | occurring (I don't need duplicates of every program and file in my
    computer)
    | and to safely delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?
    |
    | Whitewolfca

    The duplicates are in the Documents and Settings file on c drive in my
    computer. These duplicates are currently using 46.9 GB of space. In documents
    and settings under my user name is where the copy of everything on my desktop
    is.

    whitewolfca wrote:
    > I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti
    > Virus,and hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago
    > Ijust happened to look in my admin files and found an exact duplicate
    > of everything on my desktop in the admin files. Deleting anything out
    > of the admin files also deletes it off my desktop. Is there some way
    > to change the settings to stop this from occurring (I don't need
    > duplicates of every program and file in my computer) and to safely
    > delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?

    Assuming you mean "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME" as admin files...
    Then there is no "duplication", that is where things are actually at - the
    screen is made "pretty" and accesses the information in that folder for your
    benefit.

    --
    --
    The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

    Okay thank you. That would make the desktop the shortcuts for easier access,
    the D and S where this stuff actually resides and mean I have way too much
    stuff on my computer. Now I feel like an idiot.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > whitewolfca wrote:
    > > I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti
    > > Virus,and hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago
    > > Ijust happened to look in my admin files and found an exact duplicate
    > > of everything on my desktop in the admin files. Deleting anything out
    > > of the admin files also deletes it off my desktop. Is there some way
    > > to change the settings to stop this from occurring (I don't need
    > > duplicates of every program and file in my computer) and to safely
    > > delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?
    >
    > Assuming you mean "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME" as admin files...
    > Then there is no "duplication", that is where things are actually at - the
    > screen is made "pretty" and accesses the information in that folder for your
    > benefit.
    >
    > --
    > >=- Shenan -=<
    > >=- MS MVP -=<
    > --
    > The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    > suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
    > are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
    > Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
    > compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
    > your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
    > them lightly.

    The only curious thing is that Mechanic Pro says I have 232,564 duplicate
    files in16,264 folders.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > whitewolfca wrote:
    > > I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti
    > > Virus,and hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago
    > > Ijust happened to look in my admin files and found an exact duplicate
    > > of everything on my desktop in the admin files. Deleting anything out
    > > of the admin files also deletes it off my desktop. Is there some way
    > > to change the settings to stop this from occurring (I don't need
    > > duplicates of every program and file in my computer) and to safely
    > > delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?
    >
    > Assuming you mean "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME" as admin files...
    > Then there is no "duplication", that is where things are actually at - the
    > screen is made "pretty" and accesses the information in that folder for your
    > benefit.
    >
    > --
    > >=- Shenan -=<
    > >=- MS MVP -=<
    > --
    > The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    > suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
    > are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
    > Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
    > compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
    > your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
    > them lightly.

    As Shenan stated, your files are actually stored in the documents and
    settings directory. All the stuff on your desktop are simply shortcuts - not
    the files themselves

    "whitewolfca" <whitewolfca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The duplicates are in the Documents and Settings file on c drive in my
    > computer. These duplicates are currently using 46.9 GB of space. In
    > documents
    > and settings under my user name is where the copy of everything on my
    > desktop
    > is.
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    >> Any details of what "admin files" is?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>
    >> "whitewolfca" wrote:
    >> |I have a new Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 with Windows XP, Norton Anti
    >> Virus,and
    >> | hooked up to a router (DSL connection). A few days ago Ijust happened
    >> look
    >> | in my admin files and found an exact duplicate of everything on my
    >> desktop
    >> in
    >> | the admin files. Deleting anything out of the admin files also deletes
    >> it
    >> off
    >> | my desktop. Is there some way to change the settings to stop this from
    >> | occurring (I don't need duplicates of every program and file in my
    >> computer)
    >> | and to safely delete all the duplicates currently in my admin files?
    >> |
    >> | Whitewolfca

  7. This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011

Windows XP