Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will upgrade Key work on Clean Install Windows 7 using retail disc.

Last response: in Windows 7
October 6, 2010 2:44:21 PM

I have retail disc versions of Windows 7 32 and 64 bit from another install. I am building another computer and would like to save a few bucks and not buy the full retail version again. I am considering purchasing a family pack to get 3 keys for 149.

If I purchase the Family pack 3 upgrades, will I be able to use my retail disc and the key from the family pack on the clean install?

Alternatively, my wife is a student and she can get Windows professional for $64.

a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2010 3:58:08 PM

Hi Brennon7 - The key that you have from another installation will not work because Windows 7 comes with one license, meaning it can be installed on one computer only (with the excecption of the Family Pack that was just released). I assume that key has already been used.

Also, the Family Pack comes with three upgrade licenses meaning that the computers will need to have XP or Vista installed before upgrading.

The student discount is a great way to get Windows 7 at a great discount. The deal is for Windows 7 Professional upgrade meaning again that XP or Vista needs to be installed before you can upgrade to Windows 7 using the student offer. In other words the student deal and the Family Pack are both upgrade licenses meaning they will not work for the computer you are building, since they require that XP or Vista be installed first.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2010 8:15:06 PM

We all like to save money where possible, but the upgrade licences while allowing a clean install, are not intended to be used as a full version without owning a prior qyalifying OS.
Both the Family pack and student are upgrades only. You will need to purchase full versions if you don't have XP or Vista on each of the pc's.
Related resources
October 7, 2010 1:53:47 AM

So the best way is to just buy an OEM system builder disc for $100 off newegg? Is it legal to purchase that and use it myself?
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2010 4:08:09 AM

Microsoft has amended the licence which previously allowed home builders to use the OEM version.
It now states that only those that build and sell to another party not related to them can use it and must support it. It's not to be used by home builders for their own or friends and relatives pc's.
Read the full details here.> http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/p...
October 7, 2010 9:51:17 PM

This is quite shocking that they would treat true enthusiasts this way. If I buy the OEM and build a computer then sell it to my wife and use it myself, would it be legal then? I will provide my own technical support LOL..

Best solution

October 8, 2010 8:15:08 PM

Jonmor68 said:
Microsoft has amended the licence which previously allowed home builders to use the OEM version.
It now states that only those that build and sell to another party not related to them can use it and must support it. It's not to be used by home builders for their own or friends and relatives pc's.
Read the full details here.> http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/p...

That's got to be the most anti-computer user change I've ever seen.

That's sad.

So I sell the computer to myself for $1. Pffffffft
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2010 9:02:06 PM

davewolfgang said:
That's got to be the most anti-computer user change I've ever seen.

That's sad.

So I sell the computer to myself for $1. Pffffffft

Quote from Microsoft, "Must be preinstalled on a PC and sold to another unrelated party."
October 8, 2010 11:48:38 PM

unrelated? WTF?
October 19, 2010 12:00:51 AM

Best answer selected by brennon7.
!