problems reinstalling windowsXP

i'm trying to wipe my hard drive and reinstall winxp, but for some reason
when i try to boot from the XP CD it just goes straight too my desktop. Ive
been through BIOS so many times and i definately have my boot priority as the
CD drive. I have a lot of problems with my PC and really need to reformat the
hard drive. Any help would be appreciated. It dooes appear that it is trying
to boot from the cd as it says "press any key to boot from CD" but no matter
what i press it doesnt work.
10 answers Last reply
More about problems reinstalling windowsxp

    What kind of shape is your installation CD in? Scratched?
    Smudged? Is this CD the original or a copy? Have you tried using
    another CD drive?

    If you have a floppy drive, you might want to download the
    correct file for your version of XP from this web site and create
    the setup boot disks:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "laura14282" <laura14282@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > i'm trying to wipe my hard drive and reinstall winxp, but for
    > some reason
    > when i try to boot from the XP CD it just goes straight too my
    > desktop. Ive
    > been through BIOS so many times and i definately have my boot
    > priority as the
    > CD drive. I have a lot of problems with my PC and really need
    > to reformat the
    > hard drive. Any help would be appreciated. It dooes appear that
    > it is trying
    > to boot from the cd as it says "press any key to boot from CD"
    > but no matter
    > what i press it doesnt work.

    the CD i have is an OEM version of XP. i havent used it since i originally
    installed windows 10 months ago. Since then its been kept in a wallet, in the
    manual in a sealed bag. I bought it from a computer shop. To make sure it was
    readable i started the CD up fom my desktop and it was fine. The window came
    up with options to instal windows etc. If only i could wipe the hard drive
    and reinstal it from there!

    > the CD i have is an OEM version of XP. i havent used it since i originally
    > installed windows 10 months ago. Since then its been kept in a wallet, in
    > the
    > manual in a sealed bag. I bought it from a computer shop. To make sure it
    > was
    > readable i started the CD up fom my desktop and it was fine. The window
    > came
    > up with options to instal windows etc. If only i could wipe the hard drive
    > and reinstal it from there!

    You can.

    really???? can you explain how please if you have the time because I really
    am quite clueless.

    Put the cd in your machine and restart the computer. Follow the prompts to
    format and install.

    > really???? can you explain how please if you have the time because I
    > really
    > am quite clueless.

    The problem with that approach is that you won't be able to
    format your hard drive. Also, if your hard drive consists of only
    one partition, you will end up with a parallel installation of XP
    on your C drive.

    I would classify this as a last resort option. You'd be better
    off taking your PC to the shop where you bought the OEM CD from
    and having someone there do the installation. If you've still got
    the receipt, tell them there's something wrong with the CD
    because you can't boot from it.

    That said, here's what you'd have to do to start the
    installation:

    From within Windows, put your installation CD in the drive. When
    you click on "Install Windows XP" do you receive this message?

    "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your
    computer is newer than the version on the CD."

    If that's the case you have two options, either uninstall Service
    Pack 2 or create a new installation CD with SP2 integrated into
    the files. You can uninstall SP2 by going to Control Panel and
    running the Add/Remove Programs applet. Look for Windows XP
    Service Pack 2 listed at the bottom. Click Remove. To create a
    slipstreamed version of your installation CD, take a look at one
    of these articles for the procedure:

    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/how_do_i_create_a_slipstream_cd.htm

    http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

    If you can start the installation, choose the Upgrade option. I
    suspect your only going to be offered the "New Installation"
    choice.

    Good luck

    It would have been helpful if you had mentioned the make and
    model of your machine and whether or not it had a floppy drive.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "laura14282" <laura14282@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    > really???? can you explain how please if you have the time
    > because I really
    > am quite clueless.

    > The problem with that approach is that you won't be able to format your
    > hard drive.

    What? Where did you come up with that? A genuine XP installation cd (even
    OEM) certainly does give the option to format the drive, as well as
    manipulate partitions.

    >If you've still got the receipt, tell them there's something wrong with the
    >CD because you can't boot from it.

    When did she mention the cd wasn't bootable?

    Answer inline.

    "Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The problem with that approach is that you won't be able to
    >> format your hard drive.
    >
    > What? Where did you come up with that? A genuine XP
    > installation cd (even OEM) certainly does give the option to
    > format the drive, as well as manipulate partitions.

    Sure, as long as you can start the installation by booting from
    the CD. The OP indicates that she can't. If she has to start an
    installation from within Windows, she won't be able to format her
    C drive.

    >>If you've still got the receipt, tell them there's something
    >>wrong with the CD because you can't boot from it.
    >
    > When did she mention the cd wasn't bootable?

    line:

    "It dooes appear that it is trying
    to boot from the cd as it says "press any key to boot from CD"
    but no matter
    what i press it doesnt work."

    I used the phrase "tell them there's something wrong with the
    CD because you can't boot from it" thinking that she could use
    that line to get someone at the shop to check it out and maybe
    get the installation started. Or at least find out why she
    couldn't. Sorry for the confusion.

    Nepatsfan
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message

    > "It dooes appear that it is trying
    > to boot from the cd as it says "press any key to boot from CD" but no
    > matter
    > what i press it doesnt work."

    I hate getting caught being wrong. I picked up this thread midstream and
    didn't reference the original post.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    This may be a long shot but what kind of keyboard are you using?
    I recall reading about problems with trying to boot from the CD
    if you're using a USB or wireless keyboard. If that the case with
    your setup, you might want to get a hold of a PS/2 keyboard (the
    type with a round plug) and see if that makes any difference.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "laura14282" <laura14282@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    > the CD i have is an OEM version of XP. i havent used it since i
    > originally
    > installed windows 10 months ago. Since then its been kept in a
    > wallet, in the
    > manual in a sealed bag. I bought it from a computer shop. To
    > make sure it was
    > readable i started the CD up fom my desktop and it was fine.
    > The window came
    > up with options to instal windows etc. If only i could wipe the
    > hard drive
    > and reinstal it from there!

Boot CD-Rom Hard Drives Windows XP