problems reinstalling windowsXP

i'm trying to wipe my hard drive and reinstall winxp, but for some reason
when i try to boot from the XP CD it just goes straight too my desktop. Ive
been through BIOS so many times and i definately have my boot priority as the
CD drive. I have a lot of problems with my PC and really need to reformat the
hard drive. Any help would be appreciated. It dooes appear that it is trying
to boot from the cd as it says "press any key to boot from CD" but no matter
what i press it doesnt work.

What kind of shape is your installation CD in? Scratched?
Smudged? Is this CD the original or a copy? Have you tried using
another CD drive?

If you have a floppy drive, you might want to download the
correct file for your version of XP from this web site and create
the setup boot disks:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

--
Nepatsfan
"laura14282" <laura14282@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> i'm trying to wipe my hard drive and reinstall winxp, but for
> some reason
> when i try to boot from the XP CD it just goes straight too my
> desktop. Ive
> been through BIOS so many times and i definately have my boot
> priority as the
> CD drive. I have a lot of problems with my PC and really need
> to reformat the
> hard drive. Any help would be appreciated. It dooes appear that
> it is trying
> to boot from the cd as it says "press any key to boot from CD"
> but no matter
> what i press it doesnt work.

the CD i have is an OEM version of XP. i havent used it since i originally
installed windows 10 months ago. Since then its been kept in a wallet, in the
manual in a sealed bag. I bought it from a computer shop. To make sure it was
readable i started the CD up fom my desktop and it was fine. The window came
up with options to instal windows etc. If only i could wipe the hard drive
and reinstal it from there!

> the CD i have is an OEM version of XP. i havent used it since i originally
> installed windows 10 months ago. Since then its been kept in a wallet, in
> the
> manual in a sealed bag. I bought it from a computer shop. To make sure it
> was
> readable i started the CD up fom my desktop and it was fine. The window
> came
> up with options to instal windows etc. If only i could wipe the hard drive
> and reinstal it from there!

You can.

really???? can you explain how please if you have the time because I really
am quite clueless.

Put the cd in your machine and restart the computer. Follow the prompts to
format and install.

> really???? can you explain how please if you have the time because I
> really
> am quite clueless.

The problem with that approach is that you won't be able to
format your hard drive. Also, if your hard drive consists of only
one partition, you will end up with a parallel installation of XP
on your C drive.

I would classify this as a last resort option. You'd be better
off taking your PC to the shop where you bought the OEM CD from
and having someone there do the installation. If you've still got
the receipt, tell them there's something wrong with the CD
because you can't boot from it.

That said, here's what you'd have to do to start the
installation:

From within Windows, put your installation CD in the drive. When
you click on "Install Windows XP" do you receive this message?

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your
computer is newer than the version on the CD."

If that's the case you have two options, either uninstall Service
Pack 2 or create a new installation CD with SP2 integrated into
the files. You can uninstall SP2 by going to Control Panel and
running the Add/Remove Programs applet. Look for Windows XP
Service Pack 2 listed at the bottom. Click Remove. To create a
slipstreamed version of your installation CD, take a look at one
of these articles for the procedure:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/how_do_i_create_a_slipstream_cd.htm

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

If you can start the installation, choose the Upgrade option. I
suspect your only going to be offered the "New Installation"
choice.

Good luck

It would have been helpful if you had mentioned the make and
model of your machine and whether or not it had a floppy drive.

--
Nepatsfan
"laura14282" <laura14282@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

> really???? can you explain how please if you have the time
> because I really
> am quite clueless.

> The problem with that approach is that you won't be able to format your
> hard drive.

What? Where did you come up with that? A genuine XP installation cd (even
OEM) certainly does give the option to format the drive, as well as
manipulate partitions.

>If you've still got the receipt, tell them there's something wrong with the
>CD because you can't boot from it.

When did she mention the cd wasn't bootable?

Answer inline.

"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message
>> The problem with that approach is that you won't be able to
>> format your hard drive.
>
> What? Where did you come up with that? A genuine XP
> installation cd (even OEM) certainly does give the option to
> format the drive, as well as manipulate partitions.

Sure, as long as you can start the installation by booting from
the CD. The OP indicates that she can't. If she has to start an
installation from within Windows, she won't be able to format her
C drive.

>>If you've still got the receipt, tell them there's something
>>wrong with the CD because you can't boot from it.
>
> When did she mention the cd wasn't bootable?

line:

"It dooes appear that it is trying
to boot from the cd as it says "press any key to boot from CD"
but no matter
what i press it doesnt work."

I used the phrase "tell them there's something wrong with the
CD because you can't boot from it" thinking that she could use
that line to get someone at the shop to check it out and maybe
get the installation started. Or at least find out why she
couldn't. Sorry for the confusion.

Nepatsfan

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message

> "It dooes appear that it is trying
> to boot from the cd as it says "press any key to boot from CD" but no
> matter
> what i press it doesnt work."

I hate getting caught being wrong. I picked up this thread midstream and
didn't reference the original post.

This may be a long shot but what kind of keyboard are you using?
I recall reading about problems with trying to boot from the CD
if you're using a USB or wireless keyboard. If that the case with
your setup, you might want to get a hold of a PS/2 keyboard (the
type with a round plug) and see if that makes any difference.