Login issue

May 10, 2005 5:38:04 PM

Hi, all,

I got a problem form a user. He used his domain username to login his XP
client computer on LAN. He can login in, but log into a different desktop.
Everything has been changed in his desktop. I have checked C:\Documents and
Setting, his user name is there, but a new directory username.domain is there
too. I thought that a new user has been created in the XP client computer. Is
any body can help to change back to old profile when he login from his user
account in our domain?

Thanks a lot,

--qq

More about : login issue

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:47:15 PM

qq wrote:
> I got a problem form a user. He used his domain username to login his
> XP client computer on LAN. He can login in, but log into a different
> desktop. Everything has been changed in his desktop. I have checked
> C:\Documents and Setting, his user name is there, but a new directory
> username.domain is there too. I thought that a new user has been
> created in the XP client computer. Is any body can help to change
> back to old profile when he login from his user account in our domain?

Whenever you logon to a domain from a computer, that user (whether the
username/password are the same or not) is considered a different user than a
local account - and thus a clean profile is created from the "Default User"
profile. You can go back, as an administrator, and change a registry entry
to point both profiles to the same profile directory (making sure that the
local/domain user accounts both have full permissions to the
files/directories in the single profile directory.)

To make the profiles the same, have them logon locally as well as in the
domain - choose the one they like the most (this is all assuming you do not
use roaming profiles) and as another administrative user, change the
registry setting pointing to one or the other profiles...

Start -> RUN -> regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Look for the SID (the really nasty looking number starting with S-1-5
usually) folder that when you select it on the left and look on the right in
the value for "ProfileImagePath" has the value for the user you want to
point to the other profile. Change that to be the path of the other user
you want it to be.. and then close the regedit and reboot. Make sure that
the users have full File and Directory permissions to boh of those
directories.

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

Hi, Shenan,

Thanks you very much for your help. I will try to do it.

--qq

!