What would be a recommendable strategy game?

Fiason

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I have been looking recently for a strategy game for my pc. Specs are no concern. A friend recommended this strategy game but I'm not sure. My preference would be something with a focus on the actual resource gathering or exploration instead of fighting. Any other suggestions?

Thornyjohny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I would recommend Age of Empires and Rise of Nations. They both focus on combat a bit more than resources, but I think you'll like them a lot.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I third(?) the total war series, Rise of Nations and the Age of Empires series.

CIV is nice for exploration and resource gathering, however its turn based so its not to everyones taste.

Supreme Commander (for the love of the series don't buy 2) is another great RTS.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Besides the ones already mentioned, there are also:

Settlers series games are most focused on resource gathering and exploration.

Starcraft series, warcraft series;

WARHAMMER 40,000 (focus on war)

WORLD IN CONFLICT (focus on war)

command & conquer series

DM186

Splendid

How is that game Command & Conqer? I was thinking about getting it.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

It is a big series of games, you have 3 main games Generals,Tiberian,Red Alerd Each of those have related games, the last released game was C&C4: Tiberiam Twilight, the first of the series that eliminated Resource Gathering, meaning you just build your army with some kind of auto-refreshing energy, it is a great game, but you lost one of the main itens in the series, all the others are focused on resource gathering, army, and some "heroes" missions.

Just Watch some movies about them and choose what is the one you will like best.

Generals is more like modern time.
Red Alert, i belive happens betwen times, time travelling if i'm not mistaken.
Tiberiam series are more close to starcraft, on some high developed planets.

Most of them have real "famous" actors in cutscenes, what gives a charm to the game...

there is already another game coming is the Generals series.

that is basically it.

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
If you are looking for a strategy game that does not focus primarily on combat I cannot recommend Civilization IV or V enough. There is a certain gratification to be had for having a fairly weak fighting force, but gaining victory through research or diplomatic means. As joedastudd said though, it is turn based, but I have lost hundreds of hours to these games over the last few years.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I'll give my vote to Total War: Shogun 2. It actually feels like a real battle and I love the ancient Japanese culture. Plus you get ninjas! Awesome!

DM186

Splendid

Hey thanks for the info that is going to be my next gaming. I am in the middle of Shogun 2 after I get board with that then on to something new

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

I enjoyed the Command and Conquer series a lot. However, I thought C and C 4 was really terrible compared to the other games. That is just my opinion, but I believe the "general" consensus was that the earlier games were better. I started playing about the time of the Generals games and really enjoyed them. I liked C and C 3 also, but as I said, not so much the fourth game.

DM186

Splendid

Hey thanks for the Info. I had a chance to get a whole bunch of the C&C series in one box for 29.99 and I past it up.

Shogun series, Warhammer mark of chaos, Starcraft Series.

Those are my favorite RTS, thou they are different in style (Shogun very tactical, slow paced; Warhammer mark of chaos simply looks awsome and is rather relaxing; starcraft is fast paced, extreamly demanding in skill, speed, strategy and knowledge).

randomgaer

Reputable
May 9, 2014
Mount & Blade , Mount & Blade Warband , Mount & Blade With Fire & Sword , Mount & Blade Napeleonic Wars & Mount & Blade 2 Bannerlord