system has one restore point

My system restore has one date to restore to and it's the day after all my
problems began.
First I couldn't log on to my user profile and windows logged me in using
temp.
Then I could'nt find any of my documents including photos. And now i can't
even get my email because it's lost all the settings.
if any one has had the same problems or know how to fix this I will be
forever grateful!
10 answers Last reply
More about system restore point

    You seem to misunderstand what system restore can do for you. System
    Restore os a utility that monitors changes to certain System files and can
    be used to Restore them to an earlier point in time. It will not and cannot
    restore photos, user created documents, emails, etc. For those items, you
    need to have a back up regimen in place. System Restore is very limited in
    the files it monitors and restores.

    Bobby

    "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My system restore has one date to restore to and it's the day after all my
    > problems began.
    > First I couldn't log on to my user profile and windows logged me in using
    > temp.
    > Then I could'nt find any of my documents including photos. And now i can't
    > even get my email because it's lost all the settings.
    > if any one has had the same problems or know how to fix this I will be
    > forever grateful!

    Hi Linsey,

    What was the nature problem that caused these files to disappear?

    And what to you mean by "windows logged me in using temp"?

    If you are not logged onto your previous account you will not see your
    files.

    Click on the Start button and look at the top for the account name. Is
    it the account you usually use, that contains your files?

    System Restore will not be of any help recovering the files you are
    missing.
    Description of System Restore
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    linsey wrote:
    > My system restore has one date to restore to and it's the
    > day after all my problems began.
    > First I couldn't log on to my user profile and windows
    > logged me in using temp.
    > Then I could'nt find any of my documents including
    > photos. And now i can't even get my email because it's
    > lost all the settings.
    > if any one has had the same problems or know how to fix
    > this I will be forever grateful!

    Hi Bert,
    The day before I started having problems I watched a movie DVD, everything
    as fine. The next day when I tryed to log on using my usual account I
    recieved a message saying that Windows was unable to load the registry. This
    is often caused, by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.
    Detail: An I/O operation initiated bythe registry failed unrecoverably. The
    registry could not read in, write out, or flush one of the files that contain
    the systems image of the registry for documents and
    settings/linsey/ntuser.dat.
    It then logged me in using a temp account. However My documents have
    vanished and the only thing i can find under My recent documents is shortcut
    buttons that cannot locate where the file is stored.
    Thanks
    Linsey

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Linsey,
    >
    > What was the nature problem that caused these files to disappear?
    >
    > And what to you mean by "windows logged me in using temp"?
    >
    > If you are not logged onto your previous account you will not see your
    > files.
    >
    > Click on the Start button and look at the top for the account name. Is
    > it the account you usually use, that contains your files?
    >
    > System Restore will not be of any help recovering the files you are
    > missing.
    > Description of System Restore
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > linsey wrote:
    > > My system restore has one date to restore to and it's the
    > > day after all my problems began.
    > > First I couldn't log on to my user profile and windows
    > > logged me in using temp.
    > > Then I could'nt find any of my documents including
    > > photos. And now i can't even get my email because it's
    > > lost all the settings.
    > > if any one has had the same problems or know how to fix
    > > this I will be forever grateful!

    I had a problem once with my XP Pro SP2 and couldn't log on to the
    administrator account, but I fail to remember why and what I did, all I know
    is that it was not due to virus or similar. Anyway...the system then logged
    me into a temporary account just so I could correct some settings...I guess
    that is what the OP meant too but it doesn't have to be the same of course.

    Gunilla.

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hi Linsey,
    >
    > What was the nature problem that caused these files to disappear?
    >
    > And what to you mean by "windows logged me in using temp"?
    >
    > If you are not logged onto your previous account you will not see your
    > files.
    >
    > Click on the Start button and look at the top for the account name. Is it
    > the account you usually use, that contains your files?
    >
    > System Restore will not be of any help recovering the files you are
    > missing.
    > Description of System Restore
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > linsey wrote:
    >> My system restore has one date to restore to and it's the
    >> day after all my problems began.
    >> First I couldn't log on to my user profile and windows
    >> logged me in using temp.
    >> Then I could'nt find any of my documents including
    >> photos. And now i can't even get my email because it's
    >> lost all the settings.
    >> if any one has had the same problems or know how to fix
    >> this I will be forever grateful!

    Now when thinking a little more I know for fact that I could log on to that
    account but there was a problem opening it so that is why the system got me
    into a temporary profile. I can't, however, find a reference
    anywhere....even with Google.

    Gunilla.

    "Gunilla" <kakaomumsathotmaildotcom> skrev i meddelandet
    >I had a problem once with my XP Pro SP2 and couldn't log on to the
    >administrator account, but I fail to remember why and what I did, all I
    >know is that it was not due to virus or similar. Anyway...the system then
    >logged me into a temporary account just so I could correct some
    >settings...I guess that is what the OP meant too but it doesn't have to be
    >the same of course.
    >
    > Gunilla.
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Hi Linsey,
    >>
    >> What was the nature problem that caused these files to disappear?
    >>
    >> And what to you mean by "windows logged me in using temp"?
    >>
    >> If you are not logged onto your previous account you will not see your
    >> files.
    >>
    >> Click on the Start button and look at the top for the account name. Is it
    >> the account you usually use, that contains your files?
    >>
    >> System Restore will not be of any help recovering the files you are
    >> missing.
    >> Description of System Restore
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> linsey wrote:
    >>> My system restore has one date to restore to and it's the
    <Snipped>

    Hi Gunilla,

    I think you are referring to Safe Mode.

    --

    Gunilla wrote:
    > Now when thinking a little more I know for fact that I
    > could log on to that account but there was a problem
    > opening it so that is why the system got me into a
    > temporary profile. I can't, however, find a reference
    > anywhere....even with Google.
    > Gunilla.
    >
    > "Gunilla" <kakaomumsathotmaildotcom> skrev i meddelandet
    >> I had a problem once with my XP Pro SP2 and couldn't log
    >> on to the administrator account, but I fail to remember
    >> why and what I did, all I know is that it was not due to
    >> virus or similar. Anyway...the system then logged me
    >> into a temporary account just so I could correct some
    >> settings...I guess that is what the OP meant too but it
    >> doesn't have to be the same of course. Gunilla.
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
    >>> Hi Linsey,
    >>>
    >>> What was the nature problem that caused these files to
    >>> disappear? And what to you mean by "windows logged me in using
    >>> temp"? If you are not logged onto your previous account you
    >>> will not see your files.
    >>>
    >>> Click on the Start button and look at the top for the
    >>> account name. Is it the account you usually use, that
    >>> contains your files? System Restore will not be of any help
    >>> recovering the
    >>> files you are missing.
    >>> Description of System Restore
    >>> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://dts-l.org/

    > <Snipped>

    When you click on the Start button, what is the name at the top?

    --

    linsey wrote:
    > Hi Bert,
    > The day before I started having problems I watched a
    > movie DVD, everything as fine. The next day when I tryed
    > to log on using my usual account I recieved a message
    > saying that Windows was unable to load the registry. This
    > is often caused, by insufficient memory or insufficient
    > security rights. Detail: An I/O operation initiated bythe
    > registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not
    > read in, write out, or flush one of the files that
    > contain the systems image of the registry for documents
    > and settings/linsey/ntuser.dat.
    > It then logged me in using a temp account. However My
    > documents have vanished and the only thing i can find
    > under My recent documents is shortcut buttons that cannot
    > locate where the file is stored.
    > Thanks
    > Linsey
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Linsey,
    >>
    >> What was the nature problem that caused these files to
    >> disappear?
    >>
    >> And what to you mean by "windows logged me in using
    >> temp"?
    >>
    >> If you are not logged onto your previous account you
    >> will not see your files.
    >>
    >> Click on the Start button and look at the top for the
    >> account name. Is it the account you usually use, that
    >> contains your files?
    >>
    >> System Restore will not be of any help recovering the
    >> files you are missing.
    >> Description of System Restore
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> linsey wrote:
    >>> My system restore has one date to restore to and it's
    >>> the day after all my problems began.
    >>> First I couldn't log on to my user profile and windows
    >>> logged me in using temp.
    >>> Then I could'nt find any of my documents including
    >>> photos. And now i can't even get my email because it's
    >>> lost all the settings.
    >>> if any one has had the same problems or know how to fix
    >>> this I will be forever grateful!

    My new user name because if I log on using my old user name theres hardly
    anything on the start panel.

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > When you click on the Start button, what is the name at the top?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > linsey wrote:
    > > Hi Bert,
    > > The day before I started having problems I watched a
    > > movie DVD, everything as fine. The next day when I tryed
    > > to log on using my usual account I recieved a message
    > > saying that Windows was unable to load the registry. This
    > > is often caused, by insufficient memory or insufficient
    > > security rights. Detail: An I/O operation initiated bythe
    > > registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not
    > > read in, write out, or flush one of the files that
    > > contain the systems image of the registry for documents
    > > and settings/linsey/ntuser.dat.
    > > It then logged me in using a temp account. However My
    > > documents have vanished and the only thing i can find
    > > under My recent documents is shortcut buttons that cannot
    > > locate where the file is stored.
    > > Thanks
    > > Linsey
    > >
    > > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Linsey,
    > >>
    > >> What was the nature problem that caused these files to
    > >> disappear?
    > >>
    > >> And what to you mean by "windows logged me in using
    > >> temp"?
    > >>
    > >> If you are not logged onto your previous account you
    > >> will not see your files.
    > >>
    > >> Click on the Start button and look at the top for the
    > >> account name. Is it the account you usually use, that
    > >> contains your files?
    > >>
    > >> System Restore will not be of any help recovering the
    > >> files you are missing.
    > >> Description of System Restore
    > >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >> http://dts-l.org/

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Yeah maybe, but I can't remember any longer. Anyhow..thanks for replying.
    :-))

    > Hi Gunilla,
    >
    > I think you are referring to Safe Mode.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > Gunilla wrote:
    >> Now when thinking a little more I know for fact that I
    >> could log on to that account but there was a problem
    >> opening it so that is why the system got me into a
    >> temporary profile. I can't, however, find a reference
    >> anywhere....even with Google.
    >> Gunilla.
    >>
    >> "Gunilla" <kakaomumsathotmaildotcom> skrev i meddelandet
    <snipped>
    >>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
    <snipped>

    >> <Snipped>

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi,

    If this new account is working without error, move all your data files
    form your old account to the new one.
    You will have to have administrator privileges to do so.

    You may have to take ownership of the file.
    How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:

    Use these steps to remove search for and remove any virus and malware
    infection.
    Virus and Spyware removal and prevention
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html

    --

    linsey wrote:
    > My new user name because if I log on using my old user
    > name theres hardly anything on the start panel.
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> When you click on the Start button, what is the name at
    >> the top?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> linsey wrote:
    >>> Hi Bert,
    >>> The day before I started having problems I watched a
    >>> movie DVD, everything as fine. The next day when I tryed
    >>> to log on using my usual account I recieved a message
    >>> saying that Windows was unable to load the registry.
    >>> This is often caused, by insufficient memory or
    >>> insufficient security rights. Detail: An I/O operation
    >>> initiated bythe registry failed unrecoverably. The
    >>> registry could not read in, write out, or flush one of
    >>> the files that contain the systems image of the
    >>> registry for documents and settings/linsey/ntuser.dat.
    >>> It then logged me in using a temp account. However My
    >>> documents have vanished and the only thing i can find
    >>> under My recent documents is shortcut buttons that
    >>> cannot locate where the file is stored.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Linsey

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP