Windows can not find ntuser.dat file.
When I logged on the other day I got error message ' Windows unable to load
the regestry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient
security rights'

DETAIL- An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The
registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that
contain the systems image of the registry for c/documents and
settings/linsey/ntuser.dat.

Now the error message has stopped but I can't find any of my documents
including photos, etc.

If any one can help I will be forever grateful.

Your profile was corrupt hence a new one was created. Look for your
documents within the now orphaned profile in the \documents and settings
folder.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"linsey" wrote:
| Windows can not find ntuser.dat file.
| When I logged on the other day I got error message ' Windows unable to
load
| the regestry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient
| security rights'
|
| DETAIL- An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably.
The
| registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that
| contain the systems image of the registry for c/documents and
| settings/linsey/ntuser.dat.
|
| Now the error message has stopped but I can't find any of my documents
| including photos, etc.
|
| If any one can help I will be forever grateful.

I've looked under documents and settings but there not there.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Your profile was corrupt hence a new one was created. Look for your
> documents within the now orphaned profile in the \documents and settings
> folder.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "linsey" wrote:
> | Windows can not find ntuser.dat file.
> | When I logged on the other day I got error message ' Windows unable to
> load
> | the regestry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient
> | security rights'
> |
> | DETAIL- An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably.
> The
> | registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that
> | contain the systems image of the registry for c/documents and
> | settings/linsey/ntuser.dat.
> |
> | Now the error message has stopped but I can't find any of my documents
> | including photos, etc.
> |
> | If any one can help I will be forever grateful.

You may also need to;
Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
and folders", then uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
files"

--

"linsey" wrote:
| I've looked under documents and settings but there not there.

I tried "show hidden files..." But the only place i can find my documents is
under My recent documents, the only problem is there shortcut buttons and
when i click on them I get a box saying "Trying to locate.." and then was
unable to find. I've aldo used the search tool but all I've found is a couple
of photos and word files.
Thanks
Linsey

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You may also need to;
> Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
> and folders", then uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
> files"
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "linsey" wrote:
> | I've looked under documents and settings but there not there.

Try looking in;
\Documents and Settings\%userprofile%\My Documents

Profile corruption is usually limited to the current user hive of the
registry (ntuser.dat) but you may have experienced some file corruption due
to hardware failure. You can download and run a diagnostic utility from the
drive manufacturer's web site.

You didn't by chance have 'My Documents' target moved to another location on
this or another drive?

--

"linsey" wrote:
|I tried "show hidden files..." But the only place i can find my documents
is
| under My recent documents, the only problem is there shortcut buttons and
| when i click on them I get a box saying "Trying to locate.." and then was
| unable to find. I've aldo used the search tool but all I've found is a
couple
| of photos and word files.
| Thanks
| Linsey

Hi Dave
If I look under Documents and settings/userprofile/ There is no My
documents only My recent documents. Someone told me to Log on as old
user-Windoews explorer-tools-folder options-view-show hidden files and
folders-click on hide protected operating system files-ok.
Locate c:/Documents and settings/old user profile name -press and hold ctrl
key while clicking each file and subfolder in this folder except following
files ntuser.dat, ntuser.log, ntuser.(in?) -edit-copy
Locate c:/Documents and settings/new user profile name-edit-paste-log off.
After doing this I lost all my documents I tried locating them but have no
idea where they could be!
Thanks
Linsey

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Try looking in;
> \Documents and Settings\%userprofile%\My Documents
>
> Profile corruption is usually limited to the current user hive of the
> registry (ntuser.dat) but you may have experienced some file corruption due
> to hardware failure. You can download and run a diagnostic utility from the
> drive manufacturer's web site.
>
> You didn't by chance have 'My Documents' target moved to another location on
> this or another drive?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "linsey" wrote:
> |I tried "show hidden files..." But the only place i can find my documents
> is
> | under My recent documents, the only problem is there shortcut buttons and
> | when i click on them I get a box saying "Trying to locate.." and then was
> | unable to find. I've aldo used the search tool but all I've found is a
> couple
> | of photos and word files.
> | Thanks
> | Linsey

Someone gave you bad advice. Sounds like you overwrote the directories and
or files you're now looking for.

--

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Someone gave you bad advice. Sounds like you overwrote the directories and
> or files you're now looking for.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

If, by "someone", linsey is referring to my reply to her original post, the
advice came directly from an MSKB article, namely, this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/
which was a link embedded in this MSKB article:

However, the article titled "How to copy data from a corrupted user profile
to a new profile " does NOT say to log on as the old user in order to
copy/paste the data from the old user profile to the new user
profile.......it states to "Log on as a user other than the user whose
profile you are copying files to or from"

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

No I didn't mean Patti MacLeod, the advice came from a friend who is supposed
to know about computers. So i suppose there's no way of retrieving my old
documents now?
Thanks
Linsey

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> > Someone gave you bad advice. Sounds like you overwrote the directories and
> > or files you're now looking for.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> If, by "someone", linsey is referring to my reply to her original post, the
> advice came directly from an MSKB article, namely, this one:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/
> which was a link embedded in this MSKB article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318011
>
> However, the article titled "How to copy data from a corrupted user profile
> to a new profile " does NOT say to log on as the old user in order to
> copy/paste the data from the old user profile to the new user
> profile.......it states to "Log on as a user other than the user whose
> profile you are copying files to or from"
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Not if they were truly overwritten. It's not crystal clear exactly what
transpired. If a search of the drive doesn't find them then most likely is
they were overwritten. There is still the chance that there is some file

"linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No I didn't mean Patti MacLeod, the advice came from a friend who is
supposed
> to know about computers. So i suppose there's no way of retrieving my old
> documents now?
> Thanks
> Linsey

I wasn't sure if you were referring to the information that I had posted or
if you had meant that someone else had "in person" help walk you thru the
process of copying that data.

When you restart your computer, keep tapping the F8 key until you receive
the Advanced Startup Options menu from which you can select Safe Mode. Log
on to the Administrator account (this is the built-in Administrator account
that does not appear as a logon option unless you boot into Safe Mode).
Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\linsey (as I am assuming that linsey
is your old user profile name) and see if the My Documents folder is there.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Thank you Patti and Dave for trying to help me. I appreciate it.
Thanks
Linsey

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No I didn't mean Patti MacLeod, the advice came from a friend who is
> supposed
> > to know about computers. So i suppose there's no way of retrieving my old
> > documents now?
> > Thanks
> > Linsey
>
> I wasn't sure if you were referring to the information that I had posted or
> if you had meant that someone else had "in person" help walk you thru the
> process of copying that data.
>
> When you restart your computer, keep tapping the F8 key until you receive
> the Advanced Startup Options menu from which you can select Safe Mode. Log
> on to the Administrator account (this is the built-in Administrator account
> that does not appear as a logon option unless you boot into Safe Mode).
> Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\linsey (as I am assuming that linsey
> is your old user profile name) and see if the My Documents folder is there.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

You're welcome.

--

"linsey" wrote:
| Thank you Patti and Dave for trying to help me. I appreciate it.
| Thanks
| Linsey

You're very welcome, linsey :)

I get the impression that, unfortunately, you weren't able to locate your
documents and pictures :-(

Regards,

--

> Thank you Patti and Dave for trying to help me. I appreciate it.
> Thanks
> Linsey
>
> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>
> > "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > No I didn't mean Patti MacLeod, the advice came from a friend who is
> > supposed
> > > to know about computers. So i suppose there's no way of retrieving my
old
> > > documents now?
> > > Thanks
> > > Linsey
> >
> > I wasn't sure if you were referring to the information that I had posted
or
> > if you had meant that someone else had "in person" help walk you thru
the
> > process of copying that data.
> >
> > When you restart your computer, keep tapping the F8 key until you
receive
> > the Advanced Startup Options menu from which you can select Safe Mode.
Log
> > on to the Administrator account (this is the built-in Administrator
account
> > that does not appear as a logon option unless you boot into Safe Mode).
> > Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\linsey (as I am assuming that
linsey
> > is your old user profile name) and see if the My Documents folder is
there.

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Yes I wasn't able to locate any of my files apart from a couple of photos : (
And now my computer just gave me the error message that windows XP was
unstable and that i should use the insert the xp disk, which I haven't got
because it came preinstalled on my computer! It's one thing after another.

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> You're very welcome, linsey :)
>
> I get the impression that, unfortunately, you weren't able to locate your
> documents and pictures :-(
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Patti and Dave for trying to help me. I appreciate it.
> > Thanks
> > Linsey
> >
> > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
> >
> > > "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > supposed
> old
> > >
> > > I wasn't sure if you were referring to the information that I had posted
> or
> > > if you had meant that someone else had "in person" help walk you thru
> the
> > > process of copying that data.
> > >
> > > When you restart your computer, keep tapping the F8 key until you
> receive
> > > the Advanced Startup Options menu from which you can select Safe Mode.
> Log
> > > on to the Administrator account (this is the built-in Administrator
> account
> > > that does not appear as a logon option unless you boot into Safe Mode).
> > > Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\linsey (as I am assuming that
> linsey
> > > is your old user profile name) and see if the My Documents folder is
> there.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Patti MacLeod
> > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Bummer :-(

Did the computer ship with a Recovery or Restore CD? Perhaps it has a
Recovery partition (which is a hidden partition) that you must access in
order to reinstall the operating system (if that's warranted). What is the
make and model of this computer?

Regards,

--
> Yes I wasn't able to locate any of my files apart from a couple of photos
: (
> And now my computer just gave me the error message that windows XP was
> unstable and that i should use the insert the xp disk, which I haven't
got
> because it came preinstalled on my computer! It's one thing after
another.

> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>
> > You're very welcome, linsey :)
> >
> > I get the impression that, unfortunately, you weren't able to locate
your
> > documents and pictures :-(
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thank you Patti and Dave for trying to help me. I appreciate it.
> > > Thanks
> > > Linsey

> > old

> > or
> > the

> > receive
Mode.
> > Log
> > account
Mode).
> > linsey
> > there.

It didn't come with any CDs. It's a packard Bell Easynote m5284.

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Bummer :-(
>
> Did the computer ship with a Recovery or Restore CD? Perhaps it has a
> Recovery partition (which is a hidden partition) that you must access in
> order to reinstall the operating system (if that's warranted). What is the
> make and model of this computer?
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes I wasn't able to locate any of my files apart from a couple of photos
> : (
> > And now my computer just gave me the error message that windows XP was
> > unstable and that i should use the insert the xp disk, which I haven't
> got
> > because it came preinstalled on my computer! It's one thing after
> another.
> >

> > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
> >
> > > You're very welcome, linsey :)
> > >
> > > I get the impression that, unfortunately, you weren't able to locate
> your
> > > documents and pictures :-(
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Patti MacLeod
> > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > >
> > > "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> is
> my
> > > old

> posted
> > > or
> thru
> > > the

> > > receive
> Mode.
> > > Log
> > > account
> Mode).
> > > linsey
> > > there.

Okay, I just had a look at Packard Bell's UK site (I don't know if that's
where you hail from, but I needed to read the information in English <g>)
for information about restoring the operating system on the M5 series
EasyNote. Here is what I found:
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/?PibItemNr=topic_02201&PibItemParent=platform_Gharial_N#show

http://www.packardbell.co.uk/specialevents/infocenter/index.asp?url=/specialevents/infocenter/01/Howto/maintain/01xpmt10/01xpmt10.htm

Page C-33 of the User Guide (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader):
ftp://ftp.packardbell.com/pub/itemnr/refdocs02570101/01guide.pdf

I'm not saying that you absolutely need to perform an operating system
recovery, but if you do get to the point where you think that that might be
the answer, then the links I posted should hopefully help you out with that.

Regards,

--

> It didn't come with any CDs. It's a packard Bell Easynote m5284.
>
> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>
> > Bummer :-(
> >
> > Did the computer ship with a Recovery or Restore CD? Perhaps it has a
> > Recovery partition (which is a hidden partition) that you must access in
> > order to reinstall the operating system (if that's warranted). What is
the
> > make and model of this computer?
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > "linsey" <linsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes I wasn't able to locate any of my files apart from a couple of
photos
> > : (
> > > And now my computer just gave me the error message that windows XP was
> > > unstable and that i should use the insert the xp disk, which I
haven't
> > got
> > > because it came preinstalled on my computer! It's one thing after
> > another.

> > your

> > is
> > my

> > posted
> > thru

> > Mode.
Administrator
> > Mode).

Thanks Patti for all you help, at least now if I keep having problems I can
restore my computer. I've learnt my lesson about backing up my info.
Regards
Linsey