Error Checking

May 12, 2005 10:38:36 AM

Using Windows XP Home Edition. How often and for what purpose do I use Error
Check under Properties in Local Disk (C:) .

More about : error checking

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:06:06 PM

Hi John Barton,

If you're familiar with WIN9x's Scandisk, Error Checking (chkdsk) is XP's
"scandisk". As for how often you would use it, there is no set time interval
for when to use it..........a time when I definitely run chkdsk is prior to
defragmenting the volume.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"John Barton" <jbarton@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Using Windows XP Home Edition. How often and for what purpose do I use
Error
> Check under Properties in Local Disk (C:) .

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 10:53:30 AM

"John Barton" wrote:

> Using Windows XP Home Edition. How often and for what purpose do I use Error
> Check under Properties in Local Disk (C:) .

Some people recommend weekly, while others recommend biweekly or monthly. I
run it weekly, always while enabling the option to fix file errors. On the
first Saturday of each month, I run it with the "check for bad sectors"
option enabled as well. You should always run it if XP has trouble loading,
reading, modifying, deleting, or saving a file on your hard disk, or if a
program keeps hanging for no apparent reason.

Ken
!