Really slow startup

May 12, 2005 7:56:02 AM

I bought a new computer last week, its as maxed out as I could possibly
afford but the problem i have is the speed of the startup.
After switching on the computer it hangs on the 'Microsoft Windows XP'
screen with the blue bar scrolling accross for over a minute with the hard
drive seemingly idle. I thought it was a simple boot speed problem so used
bootvis but that did absolutelty nothing. I've changed everything i know how
to, for example unchecking systray items on startup, but again nothing, I
don't know what else to do.

If its any help, im running:
AMD Sempron 2800+
Asus K8V-X SKT754 Motherboard
160GB ATA 133 8MB HDD
1GD DDR400 Mem (2 x 512 Modules)
64MB GeForce Mx440 Graphics

Please Help! thanks in advance

More about : slow startup

May 12, 2005 12:44:07 PM

You seem to have a very respectable PC there; lottsa RAM etc; I hafta wonder
about your addition of 'Bootvis' I have read conflicting reports about its'
value.... Do you have AV software and Trojan block stuff installed and have
you run a check for all that?
"DanShires" <DanShires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I bought a new computer last week, its as maxed out as I could possibly
> afford but the problem i have is the speed of the startup.
> After switching on the computer it hangs on the 'Microsoft Windows XP'
> screen with the blue bar scrolling accross for over a minute with the hard
> drive seemingly idle. I thought it was a simple boot speed problem so used
> bootvis but that did absolutelty nothing. I've changed everything i know
how
> to, for example unchecking systray items on startup, but again nothing, I
> don't know what else to do.
>
> If its any help, im running:
> AMD Sempron 2800+
> Asus K8V-X SKT754 Motherboard
> 160GB ATA 133 8MB HDD
> 1GD DDR400 Mem (2 x 512 Modules)
> 64MB GeForce Mx440 Graphics
>
> Please Help! thanks in advance
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:44:08 PM

I'll be honest, my knowledge of computers is a bit patchy, what do you mean
about AV software and Trojan Block Stuff? Are they mean programs to stop
Spyware etc?

I've never had any problems with bootvis in the past, it was installed on my
previous PC and worked absolute wonders.

I don't think this startup issue is anything to do with software i've
installed though, as it was doing it from the first time I installed xp.
Initially i just thought it was the computer taking time to load up on its
1st boot, but it just hangs on that screen.

"Sandman" wrote:

> You seem to have a very respectable PC there; lottsa RAM etc; I hafta wonder
> about your addition of 'Bootvis' I have read conflicting reports about its'
> value.... Do you have AV software and Trojan block stuff installed and have
> you run a check for all that?
> "DanShires" <DanShires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I bought a new computer last week, its as maxed out as I could possibly
> > afford but the problem i have is the speed of the startup.
> > After switching on the computer it hangs on the 'Microsoft Windows XP'
> > screen with the blue bar scrolling accross for over a minute with the hard
> > drive seemingly idle. I thought it was a simple boot speed problem so used
> > bootvis but that did absolutelty nothing. I've changed everything i know
> how
> > to, for example unchecking systray items on startup, but again nothing, I
> > don't know what else to do.
> >
> > If its any help, im running:
> > AMD Sempron 2800+
> > Asus K8V-X SKT754 Motherboard
> > 160GB ATA 133 8MB HDD
> > 1GD DDR400 Mem (2 x 512 Modules)
> > 64MB GeForce Mx440 Graphics
> >
> > Please Help! thanks in advance

Related resources
May 12, 2005 1:59:09 PM

Yes.. And if you don't have Virus protection, Trend Micro, AVG Free edition
or something you are asking for trouble... I can't imagine you haven't used
it before(?) or you seem to not know about the stuff that can get onto your
system and slow it down, which is what it seems is happening, although at
boot, it may be something about the install of XP.... It wasn't an 'upgrade'
over another WIndows OS was it? There is something you are not telling us
here that may be critical to solving this...
"DanShires" <DanShires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D B6445D9-F86B-4ADD-8C2A-6199D34D7F35@microsoft.com...
> I'll be honest, my knowledge of computers is a bit patchy, what do you
mean
> about AV software and Trojan Block Stuff? Are they mean programs to stop
> Spyware etc?
>
> I've never had any problems with bootvis in the past, it was installed on
my
> previous PC and worked absolute wonders.
>
> I don't think this startup issue is anything to do with software i've
> installed though, as it was doing it from the first time I installed xp.
> Initially i just thought it was the computer taking time to load up on its
> 1st boot, but it just hangs on that screen.
>
> "Sandman" wrote:
>
> > You seem to have a very respectable PC there; lottsa RAM etc; I hafta
wonder
> > about your addition of 'Bootvis' I have read conflicting reports about
its'
> > value.... Do you have AV software and Trojan block stuff installed and
have
> > you run a check for all that?
> > "DanShires" <DanShires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I bought a new computer last week, its as maxed out as I could
possibly
> > > afford but the problem i have is the speed of the startup.
> > > After switching on the computer it hangs on the 'Microsoft Windows XP'
> > > screen with the blue bar scrolling accross for over a minute with the
hard
> > > drive seemingly idle. I thought it was a simple boot speed problem so
used
> > > bootvis but that did absolutelty nothing. I've changed everything i
know
> > how
> > > to, for example unchecking systray items on startup, but again
nothing, I
> > > don't know what else to do.
> > >
> > > If its any help, im running:
> > > AMD Sempron 2800+
> > > Asus K8V-X SKT754 Motherboard
> > > 160GB ATA 133 8MB HDD
> > > 1GD DDR400 Mem (2 x 512 Modules)
> > > 64MB GeForce Mx440 Graphics
> > >
> > > Please Help! thanks in advance

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 5:25:41 AM

Its just a bog standard version of XP Professional, no upgrade or anything.
The computer isnt connected to the Internet, i'm writing this from work. The
antivirus software as far as i know is the one on the motherboard, but i
haven't downloaded anything since buying it.
Like i said this problem has existed from the very first time i booted up
windows, i'm wondering if it could be a bios problem?

!