Really slow startup

I bought a new computer last week, its as maxed out as I could possibly
afford but the problem i have is the speed of the startup.
After switching on the computer it hangs on the 'Microsoft Windows XP'
screen with the blue bar scrolling accross for over a minute with the hard
drive seemingly idle. I thought it was a simple boot speed problem so used
bootvis but that did absolutelty nothing. I've changed everything i know how
to, for example unchecking systray items on startup, but again nothing, I
don't know what else to do.

If its any help, im running:
AMD Sempron 2800+
Asus K8V-X SKT754 Motherboard
160GB ATA 133 8MB HDD
1GD DDR400 Mem (2 x 512 Modules)
64MB GeForce Mx440 Graphics

Please Help! thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about really slow startup

    You seem to have a very respectable PC there; lottsa RAM etc; I hafta wonder
    about your addition of 'Bootvis' I have read conflicting reports about its'
    value.... Do you have AV software and Trojan block stuff installed and have
    you run a check for all that?
    "DanShires" <DanShires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I bought a new computer last week, its as maxed out as I could possibly
    > afford but the problem i have is the speed of the startup.
    > After switching on the computer it hangs on the 'Microsoft Windows XP'
    > screen with the blue bar scrolling accross for over a minute with the hard
    > drive seemingly idle. I thought it was a simple boot speed problem so used
    > bootvis but that did absolutelty nothing. I've changed everything i know
    how
    > to, for example unchecking systray items on startup, but again nothing, I
    > don't know what else to do.
    >
    > If its any help, im running:
    > AMD Sempron 2800+
    > Asus K8V-X SKT754 Motherboard
    > 160GB ATA 133 8MB HDD
    > 1GD DDR400 Mem (2 x 512 Modules)
    > 64MB GeForce Mx440 Graphics
    >
    > Please Help! thanks in advance

    I'll be honest, my knowledge of computers is a bit patchy, what do you mean
    about AV software and Trojan Block Stuff? Are they mean programs to stop
    Spyware etc?

    I've never had any problems with bootvis in the past, it was installed on my
    previous PC and worked absolute wonders.

    I don't think this startup issue is anything to do with software i've
    installed though, as it was doing it from the first time I installed xp.
    Initially i just thought it was the computer taking time to load up on its
    1st boot, but it just hangs on that screen.

    "Sandman" wrote:

    > You seem to have a very respectable PC there; lottsa RAM etc; I hafta wonder
    > about your addition of 'Bootvis' I have read conflicting reports about its'
    > value.... Do you have AV software and Trojan block stuff installed and have
    > you run a check for all that?
    > "DanShires" <DanShires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I bought a new computer last week, its as maxed out as I could possibly
    > > afford but the problem i have is the speed of the startup.
    > > After switching on the computer it hangs on the 'Microsoft Windows XP'
    > > screen with the blue bar scrolling accross for over a minute with the hard
    > > drive seemingly idle. I thought it was a simple boot speed problem so used
    > > bootvis but that did absolutelty nothing. I've changed everything i know
    > how
    > > to, for example unchecking systray items on startup, but again nothing, I
    > > don't know what else to do.
    > >
    > > If its any help, im running:
    > > AMD Sempron 2800+
    > > Asus K8V-X SKT754 Motherboard
    > > 160GB ATA 133 8MB HDD
    > > 1GD DDR400 Mem (2 x 512 Modules)
    > > 64MB GeForce Mx440 Graphics
    > >
    > > Please Help! thanks in advance

    Yes.. And if you don't have Virus protection, Trend Micro, AVG Free edition
    or something you are asking for trouble... I can't imagine you haven't used
    it before(?) or you seem to not know about the stuff that can get onto your
    system and slow it down, which is what it seems is happening, although at
    boot, it may be something about the install of XP.... It wasn't an 'upgrade'
    over another WIndows OS was it? There is something you are not telling us
    here that may be critical to solving this...
    > I'll be honest, my knowledge of computers is a bit patchy, what do you
    mean
    > about AV software and Trojan Block Stuff? Are they mean programs to stop
    > Spyware etc?
    >
    > I've never had any problems with bootvis in the past, it was installed on
    my
    > previous PC and worked absolute wonders.
    >
    > I don't think this startup issue is anything to do with software i've
    > installed though, as it was doing it from the first time I installed xp.
    > Initially i just thought it was the computer taking time to load up on its
    > 1st boot, but it just hangs on that screen.
    >
    > "Sandman" wrote:
    >
    > > You seem to have a very respectable PC there; lottsa RAM etc; I hafta
    wonder
    > > about your addition of 'Bootvis' I have read conflicting reports about
    its'
    > > value.... Do you have AV software and Trojan block stuff installed and
    have
    > > you run a check for all that?
    > > "DanShires" <DanShires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I bought a new computer last week, its as maxed out as I could
    possibly
    > > > afford but the problem i have is the speed of the startup.
    > > > After switching on the computer it hangs on the 'Microsoft Windows XP'
    > > > screen with the blue bar scrolling accross for over a minute with the
    hard
    > > > drive seemingly idle. I thought it was a simple boot speed problem so
    used
    > > > bootvis but that did absolutelty nothing. I've changed everything i
    know
    > > how
    > > > to, for example unchecking systray items on startup, but again
    nothing, I
    > > > don't know what else to do.
    > > >
    > > > If its any help, im running:
    > > > AMD Sempron 2800+
    > > > Asus K8V-X SKT754 Motherboard
    > > > 160GB ATA 133 8MB HDD
    > > > 1GD DDR400 Mem (2 x 512 Modules)
    > > > 64MB GeForce Mx440 Graphics
    > > >
    > > > Please Help! thanks in advance

    Its just a bog standard version of XP Professional, no upgrade or anything.
    The computer isnt connected to the Internet, i'm writing this from work. The
    antivirus software as far as i know is the one on the motherboard, but i
    haven't downloaded anything since buying it.
    Like i said this problem has existed from the very first time i booted up
    windows, i'm wondering if it could be a bios problem?

Slow Startup Microsoft Windows XP