Slowdown when using Windows Explorer

Andrew

I have a curious problem that I hope someone can help me with.

Whenever I use the windows explorer, I experience some slowdown. This
happens when I select a file and right click for the action list. The hour
glass will appear for about 5 seconds before the list appears. This happens
intermittenly but often enough to bother me. Anyway, I tried ways and means
to solve the problem but to no avail. However, I recently discovered that
this only happens when I turn on the wireless adapter. When it if off,
everything is ok. What gives?

My system is as follows:
HP NW8000 Notebook
Pentium M 2GHz
2GB Ram
Windows XP SP2
Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG
Intel Proset wireless utility

Thanks in advance!

Hi Andrew,

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a curious problem that I hope someone can help me with.
>
> Whenever I use the windows explorer, I experience some slowdown. This
> happens when I select a file and right click for the action list. The hour
> glass will appear for about 5 seconds before the list appears. This
> happens
> intermittenly but often enough to bother me. Anyway, I tried ways and
> means
> to solve the problem but to no avail. However, I recently discovered that
> this only happens when I turn on the wireless adapter. When it if off,
> everything is ok. What gives?
>
> My system is as follows:
> HP NW8000 Notebook
> Pentium M 2GHz
> 2GB Ram
> Windows XP SP2
> Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG
> Intel Proset wireless utility
>
> Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Ah ha! Fantastic! I know what the problem is now...it is indeed winzip!
Thanks a million pal! You totally made my day. Thanks.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a curious problem that I hope someone can help me with.
> >
> > Whenever I use the windows explorer, I experience some slowdown. This
> > happens when I select a file and right click for the action list. The hour
> > glass will appear for about 5 seconds before the list appears. This
> > happens
> > intermittenly but often enough to bother me. Anyway, I tried ways and
> > means
> > to solve the problem but to no avail. However, I recently discovered that
> > this only happens when I turn on the wireless adapter. When it if off,
> > everything is ok. What gives?
> >
> > My system is as follows:
> > HP NW8000 Notebook
> > Pentium M 2GHz
> > 2GB Ram
> > Windows XP SP2
> > Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG
> > Intel Proset wireless utility
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback, Andrew :)

--

> Ah ha! Fantastic! I know what the problem is now...it is indeed winzip!
> Thanks a million pal! You totally made my day. Thanks.
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a curious problem that I hope someone can help me with.
>> >
>> > Whenever I use the windows explorer, I experience some slowdown. This
>> > happens when I select a file and right click for the action list. The
>> > hour
>> > glass will appear for about 5 seconds before the list appears. This
>> > happens
>> > intermittenly but often enough to bother me. Anyway, I tried ways and
>> > means
>> > to solve the problem but to no avail. However, I recently discovered
>> > that
>> > this only happens when I turn on the wireless adapter. When it if off,
>> > everything is ok. What gives?
>> >
>> > My system is as follows:
>> > HP NW8000 Notebook
>> > Pentium M 2GHz