IE6 - Opening Multiple Windows Problem

May 12, 2005 11:52:01 PM

HELP.

If I have the IE6 Browser open and I try to open a link in a 2nd IE6 Browser
Window, the Original Browser Window closes as the 2nd Window opens.

WTF?

It won't let me have multiple IE6 Browser windows open at the same time. My
prodigy web browser still lets me do it but I want to use IE6.

Any ideas?
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 2:39:34 PM

The Reuse windows for launching shortcuts setting is used to determine
whether a new or existing instance of Internet Explorer is used when
exploring a Web site using one of the following methods:

• Double-clicking an Internet shortcut (.url file) from within Windows
Explorer.
• Opening a URL by clicking Start, and then clicking Run.
• Using a desktop toolbar, such as the Address or Links bar.

When this setting is selected, an open instance of Internet Explorer is used
to display any Web site loaded using the above methods. If the setting is
cleared, then the above methods start a new instance of Internet Explorer.

Open Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options. In the Advanced tab,
uncheck the option "Reuse windows for launching Shortcuts."

Description of the Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts Setting in Internet
Explorer 5.01:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241911

See if these commands help, from Start/Run:

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll

Restart Windows.

Additional recommendations:

Disable all Pop-up blockers if installed any. Here is a detailed note from
Don Varnau, MS-MVP Internet Explorer

<quote>
You probably have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
Earthlink (or another) pop-up blocker, MyIE2 (or another shell for IE) etc.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program.

BHO Demon from http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm may find the
offending program/BHO.

Or it could be caused by spyware/parasites. Work through the solutions
(CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

</quote>

Ref:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=%23GLKPaYhEHA.38...

You'd be interested in using my program ToolbarCop to disable the IE add-ons
(that includes browser extensions, toolbars, additional buttons to the
standard toolbar, Browser Helper Objects) selectively, to isolate the
problem. ToolbarCop can be downloaded from:

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

!