Sign in with
Your question

Better reception options?

Last response: in General Connectivity
August 25, 2005 12:27:56 AM

I recently changed cell phone providers because there was a stretch of highway where I needed reception and couldn't get a signal near my home. Now I get better reception there but not at home! I chose to keep the service since having my family being able to call for help was important to me. I use my cell at home though so I don't get long distance charges. I don't want to just get an external antenna because you can't carry one of those around the house with you. Is there any kind of wireless antenna out there that might work? Any other way I might boost signal?

rigit

More about : reception options

August 27, 2005 3:46:59 AM

Isn't this the story of our lives?

<pre><font color=red>Stats Unavailable - Computer system stolen by Wusy</pre><p>
August 27, 2005 10:25:12 PM

I found something at alternativewireless.com
www.alternativewireless.com/cellular-antennas/wilson-an...
It is a Wilson Dual Band
In Vehicle Bi-Directional Amplifier
(824-894 MHz and 1850-1990 MHz range cellular networks)
You can get an adapter for use in a building as well. I don't know anything about this company but they say that it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee. For what thats worth. The thing I don't like about it is that it is a repeater rather than having a direct connection to the phone. While that's actualy what I want I have not had any luck with wireless antenna. But this one comes with a "stealth" in car antenna tha is easily hidden and an external antenna for the outside (which must be purchased seperatly) The amp sits between the 2. It seems to be legit to me with the way it works and stuff. I don't just want an indesciminate linear that just amplifies all the time since saturation of a cell frequency causes others to not be able to use that tower. The thing costs $339.95 so it's not cheap. I may try it however to see if it works. I'm just not sure I like dealing with an internet company that I can't barge into and complain. :)  According to the site they are located in San Antonio TX They also give a number. I will call them to see if they are on the level first I think. If I do this then I will post my findings here to let people know how it works. For now I will continue to look for a cheaper option.

rigit
March 6, 2006 7:40:24 PM

If you need a significant signal boost wirelessly anywhere in your house then your best bet is probably a cellular repeater. I bought one from the store below for $260 and now I get perfect reception everywhere at home and up to 20 people can use it at the same time (a lot of models only allow one person to call at once, which is really annoying). They have an external directional antenna (which is eay to align thanks to its LED signal strength display) and the signal is rebroadcast throughout the house at 55db amplification. You need to check you are buying the correct frequency range dor your provider - although friend of mine bought the wrong one, and they gave his money back with no hassle. I hope this works for you.

http://www.cellboosterstore.com/
!