Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
How do you keep files from being deleted permanantly, IE passing the recycle bin up. Im having this problem on a Win2k network at work, and we are loosing things here and there because of accidental deletions. Any help would be great.

Thanks

You dont have an <b>ANY</b> key? Your keyboard must not be Windows XP certified...

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can install Norton SystemWork. Every file that was deleted will still avalible for a few day for recovery before permently deleted. I am using a copy for Windows 2000 Professional but I am not sure if there is a version for server.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
That is the idea that would make the most sense, but making sense is not part of my powers here at work. Im not the admin, I just do most of the computer work here.

You dont have an <b>ANY</b> key? Your keyboard must not be Windows XP certified...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
enlist the help of the admin. It is definitely something that warrents it. if he/she says no, go over his head.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
not quite the problem, Im helping the admin out here, Its a small company, and not a very complex network. We only have 10 computers, and at least we got them all running Win2K now. Scince I have got here, I have been pushing to straighten up the network, so I gues I am the assistant admin around here. At least I know I am in charge of hardware, but Im not quite up on my networking.

Its mostly something in the works (still trying to get the funds to build a file server). If I went over his head, I would be talking to someone who knows diddly bout computer systems. And there is just no need to.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Im gonna look into tha. Is systemworks a ah heck to remove if needed? I have had trouble with Norton Anti virus, as well as with Norton Utilities, and with PC anywhere before. I was never a huge fan of Symantec's products, wondering if my expectaions would be any different.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
oh, I got the impression from the tone of your post that you were getting stone-walled by the admin. OK.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Im a bit confused as to what the actual issue is here, is it just that you want to stop people deleting files?
As for symantec products, I've never had any problems with their antivirus (home editions and corporate), although I never reccomend ANY product such as system works, or "system cleaners"

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?