Whats better win 7 or win 8?

travismontana

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
have to know, I have upgraded my computer since I owned it, but its getting old, I'm thinking of building a new one with either I5 core or the new Amd quad or 6 core cpu. what should I put in it? windows 7 64 bit or the new windows 8? does windows 8 beat windows 7 on gaming?

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
What cent said.
Been using Win8 for the past week (Giving it another chance, ever since giving up on it at Consumer Preview)
The OS as a whole could do with a little more work. Besides, if you're used to Win7, 8 is going to be a royal pain in the butt. Trust me, even after a week, it's still a pain.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Windows 7 is superior to the horrible and aggravating new Windows 8.
It is also healthier as Windows 7 will not cause heart attacks like Windows 8 because it is not infuriating and exasperating to use it. Windows 8 is the worst OS that stupid Microsoft has ever released, and that includes Vista.
The Windows 8 designers and programmers should all be fired for releasing this piece of garbage OS.
Stay away from Windows 8.
It belongs in the sewer.

jabarumba

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

I just built an i3570k with Win7 64 bit and i love it. I use it primarily for gaming.
Win8 is new. Unless you really know what you're doing, avoid a new OS.
Don't undervalue peace of mind.

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
As somebody who actually uses windows 8, I can say that it is actually a pretty good OS. unlike what people are saying, it is NOT an OS designed ONLY for touch screens. The only major difference (in UI) is that that the start button is replaced with a metro style window.

Now with that said there is (at this time) no major performance benefits of windows 8 over 7, so I wouldn't recommend upgrading just yet. But if you plan on purchasing a new OS for your build, you might as well go with 8 (I've found most of the negative comments about the OS are coming from people who have never tried it)

Hope this helps,
Cheers

:pfff:

Nothing personal just that I have about had enough of people who are pro W8 coming out with the same old crap about how they think and assume this kind of thing
[quote(I've found most of the negative comments about the OS are coming from people who have never tried it)][/quote]

So really please tell me how did you find this out ? Did you actually contact these people and they replied saying "Actually to be honest I have yet to use the OS but just thought I would state that I don't like it for the hell of it"

These type of statements from the people that are pro W8 are a far worse case of what they are accusing the people they seem to like to term as haters. talk about Hypocritical.

People are entitled to dislike the OS just for the UI if they so choose and are entitled to post as such. ,and there is much much more chance that these people have tried the OS that has been free and easy to download and try for a good while now than there is of someone actually knowing if another has used an OS before or to what level.

Mactronix :)

majestic1805

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Don't like Metro? Click the large "Desktop" tile as soon as you boot. Bam! You're out of metro. Continue as you were.

In terms of improvements Win 8 is everything Win 7 is and then some with extra performance and security improvements. If you're choosing between which go 8 and make yourself more secure and start with a snappier OS.

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

Perhaps I was being too general in my comment. I'm not talking about everyone here who has a negative opinion on windows 8 I'm talking about people who are spreading false information about windows 8 (which I can then deduce that they have not used windows 8 before). In other words I'm talking about this guy:

"Windows 7 is superior to the horrible and aggravating new Windows 8.
It is also healthier as Windows 7 will not cause heart attacks like Windows 8 because it is not infuriating and exasperating to use it. Windows 8 is the worst OS that stupid Microsoft has ever released, and that includes Vista.
The Windows 8 designers and programmers should all be fired for releasing this piece of garbage OS.
Stay away from Windows 8.
It belongs in the sewer."

Nothing in this is true. Windows 8 is not vista, the programmers did a great job (it's not a resource hog)

guhati

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

I am not taking the side of the poster you quoted (he is what Red Forman would say is a dumbass). Besides that though Windows 8 because of it's metro style, hogs a lot of ram. And people who still own a unit that has 4gb of ram in their unit won't be too happy about this change. For example in my experience when I tested the unit at my local bestbuy I learned that without having anything on in the main desktop and just having the IE running in the metro will take up to 1.3gb of ram. That's crazy in my opinion.

Windows 8:
While I dislike the new interface, I built a new computer and had to make a decision: 7 or 8?

Like it or not, it's the future. Also:
- it's more SECURE
- File management protection is superior to W7
- Recovery from a corrupt install is improved
- boot time is significantly improved
(My dad's laptop took 7min40sec to do a REBOOT. Now I don't know why it was so slow, but we put on W8 PRO and not counting the time to type the password a reboot took 70 seconds. That's on a slow 5400RPM 2.5" laptop with 55MB/second max reads. Not bad!

COLD BOOT to new desktop took 35 seconds!!)

I got Windows 8 PRO (OEM) 64-bit on sale for $108. The PRO version also allows for encryption which really helps avoid getting hacked (I was hacked and had key-logging software on my system.)

*I'm giving my sister my old system with Windows 7 64-bit. I thought about "upgrading" it with the $40 Windows 8 PRO offer but she would hate it. She simply wants her START MENU with her Office Apps and she's good. I agree. There's simply no "right" answer.

**START8 from Stardock is a Start Menu replacement. I'll likely be using it and avoiding the new interface completely but we'll see how things go.

majestic1805

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I did like the Tom's review of 8 with respect to being able to dock apps with the desktop as I didn't know about that. There are a few things I do that would make this very handy. Specifically, to have my network monitoring stats docked while keeping the desktop and everything in it separated.

For a starter, I found Vista exceptable (after Service pack1). In fact the Only reason for windows 7 (which could have been a service pack to Vista) in that the corporate world was dead set against migrating from XP -> vista. Hense Windows 7 is born

And here in lies the simulartiy, It appears the corporate world is planing on taking a Pass on Win 8. DON'T look are Forums like this one, Look at financial reports and artcals dealling with corporat world.

Windows 8 is better in every way. Faster startup faster shutdown apps and games start faster perform better with better frame rate. There is no reason whatsoever to not go with Windows 8. Native support for 3D monitors and TV's. Finding and starting games and apps much faster with Metro Menu than with Windows 7 start menu.

All in all the changes in Windows 8 make for a much better OS.

hmmm.just finished installing oem system builder full version version about 2 hours ago (€135)...I ain't buying upgrade...

Win8 is fast just like Win7...I can not really tell the differences here...I have no drivers problems too...which is good

Hmmm...I am not sure if I like the Metro thing there...somehow..the switching between desktop and metro is extremely confusing...perhaps because I do not have touch screen...
I hope Microsoft will improve this...
I do not believe I can get use to it after a while...

:(

While many of the virtuals of windows 8 are true, just how valid are they.
While I am not planning on switching, and Yes I HAVE TRIED IT, will get to just check out and maybe when it matures Will move too.
I do use a tablet, so the interface is the least of my concerns, I could adjust.

Just some obsevations as some think gaming is the only thing that is important:
.. Win 8, faster startup. Most definately, my laptop went from 12 sec to 8 sec. If you boot often this can be a biggy. However; for thoes that leave system on 24/7 (my wife's system and my work station), this is a non issue. My home system I power up in the evening and walk away and come back later - would do the same if 8 Sec or 15 Sec.

.. Faster program load time. Even if it is faster, my stop watch (Eyes and Mind) is just not calibrated to measure 10->20 millisec difference. If windows 7 opens Excel or uSoft office in a blink of an eye, pray tell me that I will see the diff with windows 8. Will Win 8 increase the speed at which I use excell or word - NOPE. Might see a diff in "LARGE" program load times, But again this is normally tied to hard drive (HDD/SSD).

.. Any diff watching a DVD or Blueray - NOPE
.. Any diff in email download or internet usage/downloads - doughtfull as these are bottlenecked by ISP speed.

.. Security - Yep win 8 wins here, at least for the time being. The "Bad" guys tend to target the larges group. when that turns out to be Win 8, all bets are off the table.

Bottom Line, may boil down to user preference and on an INDIVIDUAL case is it worth it.

randomizer

Champion
Try the evaluation of Win 8 Enterprise: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

There are some differences between Pro and Enterprise but to be honest the thing that you really need to play with is Metro, and it's in both of them. Once you've used Win 8, you'll know if you like it or not. This thread is mostly full of strong but pointless opinions that will not help you decide which OS to buy. I personally like Win 8 but that doesn't mean you should buy it.

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
It's fantastic on an htpc (especially when you key map a remote, or controler to work in the metro part). Allows me to switch from xbmc, to steam big picture mode without the need of a keyboard or mouse. I understand why people don't like the UI for a desktop, but for me it's well worth the change (due to its potential on an htpc)!