Sign in with
Your question

Whats better win 7 or win 8?

Last response: in Windows 8
October 29, 2012 1:19:59 PM

have to know, I have upgraded my computer since I owned it, but its getting old, I'm thinking of building a new one with either I5 core or the new Amd quad or 6 core cpu. what should I put in it? windows 7 64 bit or the new windows 8? does windows 8 beat windows 7 on gaming?

More about : whats win win

October 29, 2012 1:46:02 PM

Nop... you see the benchmarks from today reviews on tom's: win7 vs win8. Practcly the same performance.

Therefore I would recommned win7 64 bit, more mature than win8 for sure :) 
m
l
October 29, 2012 1:53:22 PM

What cent said.
Been using Win8 for the past week (Giving it another chance, ever since giving up on it at Consumer Preview)
The OS as a whole could do with a little more work. Besides, if you're used to Win7, 8 is going to be a royal pain in the butt. Trust me, even after a week, it's still a pain.
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2012 1:55:41 PM

I'd stick to W7. So far I see no reason to upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.
m
l
October 29, 2012 1:56:29 PM

Windows 7 is superior to the horrible and aggravating new Windows 8.
It is also healthier as Windows 7 will not cause heart attacks like Windows 8 because it is not infuriating and exasperating to use it. Windows 8 is the worst OS that stupid Microsoft has ever released, and that includes Vista.
The Windows 8 designers and programmers should all be fired for releasing this piece of garbage OS.
Stay away from Windows 8.
It belongs in the sewer.
m
l
October 29, 2012 2:03:12 PM

travismontana said:
have to know, I have upgraded my computer since I owned it, but its getting old, I'm thinking of building a new one with either I5 core or the new Amd quad or 6 core cpu. what should I put in it? windows 7 64 bit or the new windows 8? does windows 8 beat windows 7 on gaming?

I just built an i3570k with Win7 64 bit and i love it. I use it primarily for gaming.
Win8 is new. Unless you really know what you're doing, avoid a new OS.
Don't undervalue peace of mind.
m
l
October 29, 2012 2:41:24 PM

Great thanks guys, I'm gonna start shopping fore the kit and the 64 bit os. thank you
m
l
October 30, 2012 3:49:20 PM

As somebody who actually uses windows 8, I can say that it is actually a pretty good OS. unlike what people are saying, it is NOT an OS designed ONLY for touch screens. The only major difference (in UI) is that that the start button is replaced with a metro style window.

Now with that said there is (at this time) no major performance benefits of windows 8 over 7, so I wouldn't recommend upgrading just yet. But if you plan on purchasing a new OS for your build, you might as well go with 8 (I've found most of the negative comments about the OS are coming from people who have never tried it)

Hope this helps,
Cheers

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 5:48:38 PM

peterson99 said:
As somebody who actually uses windows 8, I can say that it is actually a pretty good OS. unlike what people are saying, it is NOT an OS designed ONLY for touch screens. The only major difference (in UI) is that that the start button is replaced with a metro style window.

Now with that said there is (at this time) no major performance benefits of windows 8 over 7, so I wouldn't recommend upgrading just yet. But if you plan on purchasing a new OS for your build, you might as well go with 8 (I've found most of the negative comments about the OS are coming from people who have never tried it)

Hope this helps,
Cheers

:pfff: 

Nothing personal just that I have about had enough of people who are pro W8 coming out with the same old crap about how they think and assume this kind of thing
[quote(I've found most of the negative comments about the OS are coming from people who have never tried it)][/quote]

So really please tell me how did you find this out ? Did you actually contact these people and they replied saying "Actually to be honest I have yet to use the OS but just thought I would state that I don't like it for the hell of it"

These type of statements from the people that are pro W8 are a far worse case of what they are accusing the people they seem to like to term as haters. talk about Hypocritical.

People are entitled to dislike the OS just for the UI if they so choose and are entitled to post as such. ,and there is much much more chance that these people have tried the OS that has been free and easy to download and try for a good while now than there is of someone actually knowing if another has used an OS before or to what level.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
October 30, 2012 7:31:28 PM

Don't like Metro? Click the large "Desktop" tile as soon as you boot. Bam! You're out of metro. Continue as you were.

In terms of improvements Win 8 is everything Win 7 is and then some with extra performance and security improvements. If you're choosing between which go 8 and make yourself more secure and start with a snappier OS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 10:17:41 PM

I give up, people are just not getting the real issue, either through stubbornness and refusal (most probable I would guess) or because they just plain are not smart enough to understand.

m
l
October 30, 2012 10:31:30 PM

well thank you for that, so theres no issues like we had years ago with windows vista and windows 7 64 bit, then I will also look into a prebuilt rig and upgrade the components that way
m
l
October 31, 2012 2:50:45 PM

mactronix said:
:pfff: 

Nothing personal just that I have about had enough of people who are pro W8 coming out with the same old crap about how they think and assume this kind of thing
[quote(I've found most of the negative comments about the OS are coming from people who have never tried it)]

So really please tell me how did you find this out ? Did you actually contact these people and they replied saying "Actually to be honest I have yet to use the OS but just thought I would state that I don't like it for the hell of it"

These type of statements from the people that are pro W8 are a far worse case of what they are accusing the people they seem to like to term as haters. talk about Hypocritical.

People are entitled to dislike the OS just for the UI if they so choose and are entitled to post as such. ,and there is much much more chance that these people have tried the OS that has been free and easy to download and try for a good while now than there is of someone actually knowing if another has used an OS before or to what level.

[/quote]

Perhaps I was being too general in my comment. I'm not talking about everyone here who has a negative opinion on windows 8 I'm talking about people who are spreading false information about windows 8 (which I can then deduce that they have not used windows 8 before). In other words I'm talking about this guy:

"Windows 7 is superior to the horrible and aggravating new Windows 8.
It is also healthier as Windows 7 will not cause heart attacks like Windows 8 because it is not infuriating and exasperating to use it. Windows 8 is the worst OS that stupid Microsoft has ever released, and that includes Vista.
The Windows 8 designers and programmers should all be fired for releasing this piece of garbage OS.
Stay away from Windows 8.
It belongs in the sewer."

Nothing in this is true. Windows 8 is not vista, the programmers did a great job (it's not a resource hog)
m
l
October 31, 2012 3:55:46 PM

peterson99 said:

Nothing in this is true. Windows 8 is not vista, the programmers did a great job (it's not a resource hog)

I am not taking the side of the poster you quoted (he is what Red Forman would say is a dumbass). Besides that though Windows 8 because of it's metro style, hogs a lot of ram. And people who still own a unit that has 4gb of ram in their unit won't be too happy about this change. For example in my experience when I tested the unit at my local bestbuy I learned that without having anything on in the main desktop and just having the IE running in the metro will take up to 1.3gb of ram. That's crazy in my opinion.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 31, 2012 4:06:01 PM

Windows 8:
While I dislike the new interface, I built a new computer and had to make a decision: 7 or 8?

Like it or not, it's the future. Also:
- it's more SECURE
- File management protection is superior to W7
- Recovery from a corrupt install is improved
- boot time is significantly improved
(My dad's laptop took 7min40sec to do a REBOOT. Now I don't know why it was so slow, but we put on W8 PRO and not counting the time to type the password a reboot took 70 seconds. That's on a slow 5400RPM 2.5" laptop with 55MB/second max reads. Not bad!

COLD BOOT to new desktop took 35 seconds!!)

I got Windows 8 PRO (OEM) 64-bit on sale for $108. The PRO version also allows for encryption which really helps avoid getting hacked (I was hacked and had key-logging software on my system.)

*I'm giving my sister my old system with Windows 7 64-bit. I thought about "upgrading" it with the $40 Windows 8 PRO offer but she would hate it. She simply wants her START MENU with her Office Apps and she's good. I agree. There's simply no "right" answer.

**START8 from Stardock is a Start Menu replacement. I'll likely be using it and avoiding the new interface completely but we'll see how things go.
m
l
October 31, 2012 4:10:35 PM

I did like the Tom's review of 8 with respect to being able to dock apps with the desktop as I didn't know about that. There are a few things I do that would make this very handy. Specifically, to have my network monitoring stats docked while keeping the desktop and everything in it separated.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 31, 2012 4:21:08 PM

For a starter, I found Vista exceptable (after Service pack1). In fact the Only reason for windows 7 (which could have been a service pack to Vista) in that the corporate world was dead set against migrating from XP -> vista. Hense Windows 7 is born

And here in lies the simulartiy, It appears the corporate world is planing on taking a Pass on Win 8. DON'T look are Forums like this one, Look at financial reports and artcals dealling with corporat world.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 31, 2012 4:59:32 PM

Windows 8 is better in every way. Faster startup faster shutdown apps and games start faster perform better with better frame rate. There is no reason whatsoever to not go with Windows 8. Native support for 3D monitors and TV's. Finding and starting games and apps much faster with Metro Menu than with Windows 7 start menu.

All in all the changes in Windows 8 make for a much better OS.
m
l
October 31, 2012 4:59:33 PM

hmmm.just finished installing oem system builder full version version about 2 hours ago (€135)...I ain't buying upgrade...

Win8 is fast just like Win7...I can not really tell the differences here...I have no drivers problems too...which is good

Hmmm...I am not sure if I like the Metro thing there...somehow..the switching between desktop and metro is extremely confusing...perhaps because I do not have touch screen...
I hope Microsoft will improve this...
I do not believe I can get use to it after a while...

:( 
m
l
October 31, 2012 6:43:47 PM

I find win8 to be annoying. I like the feel of win7 better. But that's just my opinion
m
l
October 31, 2012 6:48:12 PM

Is it just the tiles interface that pops up right away?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 31, 2012 8:30:57 PM

While many of the virtuals of windows 8 are true, just how valid are they.
While I am not planning on switching, and Yes I HAVE TRIED IT, will get to just check out and maybe when it matures Will move too.
I do use a tablet, so the interface is the least of my concerns, I could adjust.

Just some obsevations as some think gaming is the only thing that is important:
.. Win 8, faster startup. Most definately, my laptop went from 12 sec to 8 sec. If you boot often this can be a biggy. However; for thoes that leave system on 24/7 (my wife's system and my work station), this is a non issue. My home system I power up in the evening and walk away and come back later - would do the same if 8 Sec or 15 Sec.

.. Faster program load time. Even if it is faster, my stop watch (Eyes and Mind) is just not calibrated to measure 10->20 millisec difference. If windows 7 opens Excel or uSoft office in a blink of an eye, pray tell me that I will see the diff with windows 8. Will Win 8 increase the speed at which I use excell or word - NOPE. Might see a diff in "LARGE" program load times, But again this is normally tied to hard drive (HDD/SSD).

.. Any diff watching a DVD or Blueray - NOPE
.. Any diff in email download or internet usage/downloads - doughtfull as these are bottlenecked by ISP speed.

.. Security - Yep win 8 wins here, at least for the time being. The "Bad" guys tend to target the larges group. when that turns out to be Win 8, all bets are off the table.

Bottom Line, may boil down to user preference and on an INDIVIDUAL case is it worth it.
m
l
October 31, 2012 11:30:51 PM

Try the evaluation of Win 8 Enterprise: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/evalcenter/jj554510.asp...

There are some differences between Pro and Enterprise but to be honest the thing that you really need to play with is Metro, and it's in both of them. Once you've used Win 8, you'll know if you like it or not. This thread is mostly full of strong but pointless opinions that will not help you decide which OS to buy. I personally like Win 8 but that doesn't mean you should buy it.
m
l
November 2, 2012 7:54:05 PM

Parts of win 8 are amazing, and then their are parts that are absolute garbage. Pick what you are used too for now. You can always upgrade later.
m
l
November 3, 2012 5:12:24 AM

It's fantastic on an htpc (especially when you key map a remote, or controler to work in the metro part). Allows me to switch from xbmc, to steam big picture mode without the need of a keyboard or mouse. I understand why people don't like the UI for a desktop, but for me it's well worth the change (due to its potential on an htpc)!
m
l
November 11, 2012 1:26:10 PM

travismontana said:

I think windows 8 would be better.I had windows 7 64bit.I upgraded to windows 8 64bit.At first I did not like it.But after a few weeks of using it I found it as good as windows7 if not better.Everythink that windows7 had windows 8 has,even System Restore which I eventually found.I don't know about gaming.
m
l
November 23, 2012 12:08:39 AM

windows 8 and 7 in my opinion are like Fire and Ice . There are a lot of mixed feelings people get for these 2 operating system, 50% will love it and the other 50% will hate it. The performance gap between them from what i have read so far is minimal, windows 7 has the advantage of being around for a longer period of time thus is more stable, windows 8 is the new kid on the block, if you think you can adapt easily to the new UI (btw you can make it pretty similar to win 7 if you so desire) and can stomach it until it becomes a bit more stable its a great OS. In my country and OEM copy Of win 8 is 130 ish$ and a copy if win 7 retail is a hell of a lot more expensive, So if you are getting a NEW build and can stomach the new kid until he mans up then why not.... get8. If not go with the badass and get 7
m
l
November 23, 2012 4:14:46 AM

Been using 7 for years, bought 8 the other week. Worst decision I have ever made even with a start menu mod its a piece of *** let alone compatibility issues i've experienced already from it. Only noticeably better thing Ive noticed about it is the startup speed which isnt even worth buying it just for that. Don't buy windows 8
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 23, 2012 8:08:46 PM

I really dislike the new start screen UI but I would have to say that Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. I just skip the UI, and logon automatically to the desktop.

Only real problems I have seen have turned out to be hardware issues related to failure to correctly support link power management in the hardware device itself.
It took a bit of time to figure out the cause and fix to these issues though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 23, 2012 9:41:57 PM

FWIW
Just read an article a few days ago. At the same point in time after release, windows 8 is only 20% of the sales volume of win 7.
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:02:05 PM

I've absolutely no issues with Windows 8 and have been using it since release, upgraded from Windows 7. I spent the first couple of days familiarizing myself with Metro then switched to desktop mode with a start menu mod...booting directly to desktop mode and I'm pretty much running Windows 7+++++++.
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:06:34 AM

win 8 is a sinking ship.
m
l
November 27, 2012 3:46:27 AM

Windows 8 is a more mature operating system. I find that everything works faster. The expanded interface between CPU and GPU boost quality and quantity in the video arena for a host of processes. The ability of the operating system to be used in a variety of devices should help maintain the PC as a player in the field of communication and innovation for some time to come. Windows 8 is the future and the future looks easy to use, adaptable to a wide variety of communication needs, easier to locate and use administrative functions and fun to work with. Even Windows Explorer looks much better. I encourage you to use Windows 8 for your new PC. To use Win 7 is to march backward into the dim world of naysayers and wannabe power users who slam Windows 8 while they are secretly still married to XP. The Windows 8 critics sound like the guys that stayed at home and made love to their right hand while I dated the girl next door. Plus, the price is right.
m
l
November 27, 2012 4:08:46 AM

centaurius said:
Nop... you see the benchmarks from today reviews on tom's: win7 vs win8. Practcly the same performance.

Therefore I would recommned win7 64 bit, more mature than win8 for sure :) 

I gotta agree with Centauris, we put Win 8 on my wife's computer & she & I both hate it so far.

Looks like it was wholley designed for phones 7 tablets along with maybe tochpad desktops...

Totally disgusted with microsoft for dumping this product on the average desktop user...

m
l
November 27, 2012 5:26:29 PM

As someone who hated Windows 8 in the beginning, I forced myself to use it on my primary desktop PC at home, and it's not as bad as everyone says. I at first thought about going back to Windows 7, had to reinstall Windows 8 about 3 times this past weekend(of thanksgiving). My 4 month old SSD died on me, which was aggravating, and then found that Avast which I've used for years had some issues with 8 for me at least, kept getting blue screens. But after reverting back to Windows Defender and putting a old standard hard drive in place of my SSD temporarily, things are stable. I'm finding that the Metro screen is not bad, if you sit back and play with it, you find that the charms bar to right side is the key to almost everything you will do. It made a whole lot more sense to me after I got a chance to play with Windows 8 on a touchscreen tablet. When I understood how it worked there, it was a lot easier to understand on my PC. That said, I can respect how some people don't like 8. I at first absolutely hated Windows 8. Some things could have been worked on much better.

We have to test more at work, but I know I tried to VPN to work from my desktop and the Cisco VPN client would not connect from 8. Windows 7 works perfect. But before you pass judgement, play with it, give it a fair shot. I hated 8 too, but face it, if you are a techie(which I'm a network admin/pc technician/helpdesk), I have to learn it. Otherwise my skills become obsolete. If you are dead set, I would recommend trying Classic Shell to give a start menu back, then you can tip toe into the new interface.
m
l
March 14, 2013 7:56:27 AM

xHALORDx said:
Been using 7 for years, bought 8 the other week. Worst decision I have ever made even with a start menu mod its a piece of *** let alone compatibility issues i've experienced already from it. Only noticeably better thing Ive noticed about it is the startup speed which isnt even worth buying it just for that. Don't buy windows 8

The compatibility issues are easily solved.If a website is not compatible with internet explorer10,a grey rectangular icon is displayed in the address bar.Click on it, to change it to blue.Making the website compatible.I have found that everything Windows 7 had,Windows 8 has also.
m
l
March 14, 2013 7:56:38 AM

xHALORDx said:

The compatibility issues are easily solved.If a website is not compatible with internet explorer10,a grey rectangular icon is displayed in the address bar.Click on it, to change it to blue.Making the website compatible.I have found that everything Windows 7 had,Windows 8 has also.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 14, 2013 8:07:52 AM

Just received the IE 10 upgrade, installed it and took one look at it. Its optimized for touch :fou: 
That's the end of that then.
When they said they were releasing IE 10 for W7 I was looking forward to the improvements that had been touted.
Seems Microsoft have learnt their lesson though because not one preview I read about what was coming in IE 10 mentioned the touch features.
The launch page said I should hover the mouse over the top corner. That's as far as I read one Uninstall coming up.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
March 14, 2013 3:18:00 PM

mactronix said:
Just received the IE 10 upgrade, installed it and took one look at it. Its optimized for touch :fou: 
When they said they were releasing IE 10 for W7 I was looking forward to the improvements that had been touted.
Seems Microsoft have learnt their lesson though because not one preview I read about what was coming in IE 10 mentioned the touch features.
The launch page said I should hover the mouse over the top corner. That's as far as I read one Uninstall coming up.

Ahh there it is. You are afraid of touch. Just because they make it easier to use with a touch monitor doesn't mean that it will only work with touch. You still have your keyboard and mouse?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 14, 2013 5:49:04 PM

kyllien said:
mactronix said:

Ahh there it is. You are afraid of touch. Just because they make it easier to use with a touch monitor doesn't mean that it will only work with touch. You still have your keyboard and mouse?

No I like touch I like my Phone. It has a touch screen. My PC does not and I detest the whole hidden icons rubbish. Each to his own .

m
l
!