Couple Linksys WRT54G Questions for you Experts

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2005 9:33:38 PM

A couple of questions about the venerable Linksys WRT54G Router

1) What are the diffirences between the version 2 and the earlier
version 1's with one antenna ?

2) Probably a foolish question - just a matter of marketing and a newer
release but what is the diffirence between the newwer Talisman and
older Sveasoft firmware updates ( other than of course invalidating
your genuine Linksys warranty !) ?

3) Lastly anyone play around with the new Linksys WRT54GC Compact
Wireless.

Would the firmware upgrades work on this router ?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2005 10:48:06 PM

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=...

>2) Probably a foolish question - just a matter of marketing and a newer
>release but what is the diffirence between the newwer Talisman and
>older Sveasoft firmware updates ( other than of course invalidating
>your genuine Linksys warranty !) ?

I couldn't find a side by side feature comparison between the multiple
versions of Talisman, Alchemy, and the multitude of custom builds.
http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/ (Alchemy)
http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/20/1/ (Talisman)

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=...
http://wrt54g.thermoman.de (Custom builds)
I'm afraid you'll have to go through the pages and dig out the
features you need or want.

>3) Lastly anyone play around with the new Linksys WRT54GC Compact
>Wireless.

Not yet.

> Would the firmware upgrades work on this router ?

Dunno. Google couldn't find any firmware that claimed to work.

Nothing on the Linksys web pile for GPL code, which is the basic
pre-requisite for an alternative firmware port. Methinks not.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2005 11:46:07 PM

Does anyone have any info or experience on the compact Linksys WRT54GC
Wireless Router ?

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2005 17:33:38 -0700, "frankdowling1@yahoo.com"
> <frankdowling1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >A couple of questions about the venerable Linksys WRT54G Router
> >
> >1) What are the diffirences between the version 2 and the earlier
> >version 1's with one antenna ?
>
> http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=...
>
> >2) Probably a foolish question - just a matter of marketing and a newer
> >release but what is the diffirence between the newwer Talisman and
> >older Sveasoft firmware updates ( other than of course invalidating
> >your genuine Linksys warranty !) ?
>
> I couldn't find a side by side feature comparison between the multiple
> versions of Talisman, Alchemy, and the multitude of custom builds.
> http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/ (Alchemy)
> http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/20/1/ (Talisman)
>
> http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=...
> http://wrt54g.thermoman.de (Custom builds)
> I'm afraid you'll have to go through the pages and dig out the
> features you need or want.
>
> >3) Lastly anyone play around with the new Linksys WRT54GC Compact
> >Wireless.
>
> Not yet.
>
> > Would the firmware upgrades work on this router ?
>
> Dunno. Google couldn't find any firmware that claimed to work.
>
> Nothing on the Linksys web pile for GPL code, which is the basic
> pre-requisite for an alternative firmware port. Methinks not.

> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> AE6KS 831-336-2558
a b F Wireless
August 23, 2005 3:07:58 AM

umm have you tried google.. or browsing around that linksysinfo.org site?

<frankdowling1@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone have any info or experience on the compact Linksys WRT54GC
> Wireless Router ?
>

> Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On 22 Aug 2005 17:33:38 -0700, "frankdowling1@yahoo.com"
>> <frankdowling1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >A couple of questions about the venerable Linksys WRT54G Router
>> >
>> >1) What are the diffirences between the version 2 and the earlier
>> >version 1's with one antenna ?
>>
>> http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=...
>>
>> >2) Probably a foolish question - just a matter of marketing and a newer
>> >release but what is the diffirence between the newwer Talisman and
>> >older Sveasoft firmware updates ( other than of course invalidating
>> >your genuine Linksys warranty !) ?
>>
>> I couldn't find a side by side feature comparison between the multiple
>> versions of Talisman, Alchemy, and the multitude of custom builds.
>> http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/ (Alchemy)
>> http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/20/1/ (Talisman)
>>
>> http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=...
>> http://wrt54g.thermoman.de (Custom builds)
>> I'm afraid you'll have to go through the pages and dig out the
>> features you need or want.
>>
>> >3) Lastly anyone play around with the new Linksys WRT54GC Compact
>> >Wireless.
>>
>> Not yet.
>>
>> > Would the firmware upgrades work on this router ?
>>
>> Dunno. Google couldn't find any firmware that claimed to work.
>>
>> Nothing on the Linksys web pile for GPL code, which is the basic
>> pre-requisite for an alternative firmware port. Methinks not.
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
>> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
>> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
>> AE6KS 831-336-2558

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 24, 2005 12:29:06 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:33:38 -0700, frankdowling1@yahoo.com wrote:

> A couple of questions about the venerable Linksys WRT54G Router
>
> 1) What are the diffirences between the version 2 and the earlier version
> 1's with one antenna ?
>
> 2) Probably a foolish question - just a matter of marketing and a newer
> release but what is the diffirence between the newwer Talisman and older
> Sveasoft firmware updates ( other than of course invalidating your
> genuine Linksys warranty !) ?
>
> 3) Lastly anyone play around with the new Linksys WRT54GC Compact
> Wireless.
>
> Would the firmware upgrades work on this router ?

Picked one up this past weekend. Works just like the WRT54G, it's just
smaller and has an internal wireless antenna. Has a connection to put a
"real" antenna on it. Same web interface, 4 ports plus wireless. I didn't
have any problems getting it configured.

-dep-
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 24, 2005 1:37:30 AM

Has anyone tried applying a firmware update to this WRT54GC (Compact).
Hate to get the nice girls at Staples upset that my new router stopped
working ( all of the sudden out of the blue for no reason).

AlteredCurrents wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:33:38 -0700, frankdowling1@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > A couple of questions about the venerable Linksys WRT54G Router
> >
> > 1) What are the diffirences between the version 2 and the earlier version
> > 1's with one antenna ?
> >
> > 2) Probably a foolish question - just a matter of marketing and a newer
> > release but what is the diffirence between the newwer Talisman and older
> > Sveasoft firmware updates ( other than of course invalidating your
> > genuine Linksys warranty !) ?
> >
> > 3) Lastly anyone play around with the new Linksys WRT54GC Compact
> > Wireless.
> >
> > Would the firmware upgrades work on this router ?
>
> Picked one up this past weekend. Works just like the WRT54G, it's just
> smaller and has an internal wireless antenna. Has a connection to put a
> "real" antenna on it. Same web interface, 4 ports plus wireless. I didn't
> have any problems getting it configured.
>
> -dep-
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 24, 2005 2:20:34 AM

For the Talisman firmware update the website makes this statement as vs
the Alchemy line
"Talisman uses state-of-the-art compression to deliver the well-known
Alchemy firmware features in 2/3 of the space. Talisman also sports a
non-volatile read-write area in flash memory where programs, logs,
configuration, or other data can be stored."
Is this of any value to most ?
All I really see after an instal is a more brightly colored interface
and a few new firewall settings.
frankdowling1@yahoo.com wrote:
> Has anyone tried applying a firmware update to this WRT54GC (Compact).
> Hate to get the nice girls at Staples upset that my new router stopped
> working ( all of the sudden out of the blue for no reason).
>
> AlteredCurrents wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:33:38 -0700, frankdowling1@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > > A couple of questions about the venerable Linksys WRT54G Router
> > >
> > > 1) What are the diffirences between the version 2 and the earlier version
> > > 1's with one antenna ?
> > >
> > > 2) Probably a foolish question - just a matter of marketing and a newer
> > > release but what is the diffirence between the newwer Talisman and older
> > > Sveasoft firmware updates ( other than of course invalidating your
> > > genuine Linksys warranty !) ?
> > >
> > > 3) Lastly anyone play around with the new Linksys WRT54GC Compact
> > > Wireless.
> > >
> > > Would the firmware upgrades work on this router ?
> >
> > Picked one up this past weekend. Works just like the WRT54G, it's just
> > smaller and has an internal wireless antenna. Has a connection to put a
> > "real" antenna on it. Same web interface, 4 ports plus wireless. I didn't
> > have any problems getting it configured.
> >
> > -dep-
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 24, 2005 9:23:04 AM

I was aking if any of the hacked firmware which offers additional
features would work on htis unit.
If so one could make a dandy receiver out it- with ethernet cable reach
to boot.

AlteredCurrents wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:37:30 -0700, frankdowling1@yahoo.com wrote:
>

> > Has anyone tried applying a firmware update to this WRT54GC (Compact).
> > Hate to get the nice girls at Staples upset that my new router stopped
> > working ( all of the sudden out of the blue for no reason).
> >
> > AlteredCurrents wrote:

> >> Picked one up this past weekend. Works just like the WRT54G, it's just
> >> smaller and has an internal wireless antenna. Has a connection to put a
> >> "real" antenna on it. Same web interface, 4 ports plus wireless. I
> >> didn't have any problems getting it configured.
> >>
> >> -dep-
>
> Yes, updated the firmware with the latest version from Linksys's website.
>
> -dep-
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 24, 2005 10:47:17 AM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:37:30 -0700, frankdowling1@yahoo.com wrote:

> Has anyone tried applying a firmware update to this WRT54GC (Compact).
> Hate to get the nice girls at Staples upset that my new router stopped
> working ( all of the sudden out of the blue for no reason).
>
> AlteredCurrents wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:33:38 -0700, frankdowling1@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>> > A couple of questions about the venerable Linksys WRT54G Router
>> >
>> > 1) What are the diffirences between the version 2 and the earlier
>> > version 1's with one antenna ?
>> >
>> > 2) Probably a foolish question - just a matter of marketing and a
>> > newer release but what is the diffirence between the newwer Talisman
>> > and older Sveasoft firmware updates ( other than of course
>> > invalidating your genuine Linksys warranty !) ?
>> >
>> > 3) Lastly anyone play around with the new Linksys WRT54GC Compact
>> > Wireless.
>> >
>> > Would the firmware upgrades work on this router ?
>>
>> Picked one up this past weekend. Works just like the WRT54G, it's just
>> smaller and has an internal wireless antenna. Has a connection to put a
>> "real" antenna on it. Same web interface, 4 ports plus wireless. I
>> didn't have any problems getting it configured.
>>
>> -dep-

Yes, updated the firmware with the latest version from Linksys's website.

-dep-
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2005 1:49:40 AM

Unfortunately not.
The router is really a dandy device.
Very similar in control panel and initial tests of output with a
standard WRT54G.
Unfortunately the hacked firmware will not take up in any way.
Any ideas on how this router could be be used as a wireless adapter (
as a receiver) ?
frankdowling1@yahoo.com wrote:
> I was aking if any of the hacked firmware which offers additional
> features would work on htis unit.
> If so one could make a dandy receiver out it- with ethernet cable reach
> to boot.
>
> AlteredCurrents wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:37:30 -0700, frankdowling1@yahoo.com wrote:
> >

> > > Has anyone tried applying a firmware update to this WRT54GC (Compact).
> > > Hate to get the nice girls at Staples upset that my new router stopped
> > > working ( all of the sudden out of the blue for no reason).

> > Yes, updated the firmware with the latest version from Linksys's website.
> >
> > -dep-
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 26, 2005 8:04:43 AM

A bit more information on the WRT54GC Compact Router:

Acccording to the FCC Marvell's Libertas 802.11g Access Point / Gateway
Solution, which inclues an 88W8000G RF Transceiver, 88W8510H
System-on-Chip (SoC) and 88E6060 5-port switch. Actually, you can't
really see all the part numbers, but since Linksys uses the same
chipset in its WRT54GP2 wireless VoIP router

!