Sign in with
Your question

Need to ask a question regarding image breaks in games.

Last response: in Video Games
January 18, 2012 3:40:54 PM

What is the correct terminology to use, when randomly and frequently in games the screen pauses for about a second or two. Is it called a bug, glitch or slowdowns? It seems to happen with any graphics card whether it is high or low performing. Is there anything at all (tweaks) that can be done about these breaks in the game especially if they become frequent and troublesome for gameplay? I think a freeze is when the game malfunctions and the screen is left showing the last image, but this isn't a game freeze. I'm not talking about image tearing either, the breaks ingame happens whether vertical sync is on or off. Let me use Need for Speed World for example, and i think we should rule out the problem of autosaving because this is an online game, what is the possible cause for random breaks in the game.

Computer Config:

AMD Phenom II x3 720
ASUS AMD RADEON 6850
CORSAIR 4GB XMS2 4GB

Maxtor 250GB (windows & documents)
Seagate 500GB (games)
January 18, 2012 3:47:25 PM

Is this on a fresh OS install? Sounds to me like you might have something running in the background, like spyware, causing the hiccup.

Nashsafc said:
What is the correct terminology to use, when randomly and frequently in games the screen pauses for about a second or two. Is it called a bug, glitch or slowdowns? It seems to happen with any graphics card whether it is high or low performing. Is there anything at all (tweaks) that can be done about these breaks in the game especially if they become frequent and troublesome for gameplay? I think a freeze is when the game malfunctions and the screen is left showing the last image, but this isn't a game freeze. I'm not talking about image tearing either, the breaks ingame happens whether vertical sync is on or off. Let me use Need for Speed World for example, and i think we should rule out the problem of autosaving because this is an online game, what is the possible cause for random breaks in the game.

Computer Config:

AMD Phenom II x3 720
ASUS AMD RADEON 6850
CORSAIR 4GB XMS2 4GB

Maxtor 250GB (windows & documents)
Seagate 500GB (games)

January 18, 2012 4:24:39 PM

no i don't have anything running in the background, excluding sidebar containing; cpu meter, clock, picture slideshow, ATI Tray Tools, AVG, but it has game mode enabled, it doesn't scan while any games are being played. There's nothing else running apart from that really. Is it due to the programming of the game itself? Do hiccups occur on game consoles at all?
Related resources
January 18, 2012 5:59:47 PM

its called a bottle neck... you can approach it from 2 angles. either bump the speed on the cpu or increase the details on the gfx... its unlikely that all games will have the same issue as not all use the gfx and cpu the same way... so go though your games and see which 1s it has issues with. b4 you start taking drastic action.

if you think its bad on pc you havent seen anything as far as consoles are concerned.. reduced rez limited and unsteady frame rates poor build quality.... nah consoles have way more issues...
most games on consoles are upscaled from 600p/640p most are now running at 25 fps not 30 and still drop down into the teens... consoles are at there physical limit and have been for about 2 years now... yes the programmers are getting cleaver at extracting every last drop of power out of them but there does come a time when there is nothing more to get, that time is now...

January 18, 2012 7:27:22 PM

that's interesting, is that really true, i mean it can't be. I don't have my xbox 360 any more, it was given up a long time ago. Oh and another thing is that they overheat very quickly is that correct, i just noticed my custom MATX case and cpu cooler are keeping my cpu at cool temps of 26 degrees and my gpu at around 42 (and it's not even in an ATX case); i can keep it on all day. Games like Call of Duty i have no problems with at all, FPS seems to be the highest on Call of Duty and tbh i think the graphics look top notch. Some games like Oblivion that keep pausing, might be due to the autosaving feature, or loading the environment. Could that be the case with most games that have temporary freezes; due to them loading up an environment? But Need for Speed World has no environment to load up for me, it's all already there, and that must be pretty bad for a racing game, having to keep waiting for the environment to load up as you travel.
January 18, 2012 7:55:30 PM

hexit is right. when the game pauses and then keeps going typically that's called stuttering or fps lag.

most common causes is CPU vs GPU performance and for online games the server and network problems can contribute to network lag (this behavior is different from fps lag as it doesn't present a visual problem rather an apparent input or input to action problem aka delay)
January 18, 2012 8:58:48 PM

yep net lag is different. the fps stays constant but players on screen tend to teleport from 1 place to another without crossing the area between. this is cause by high latency(normally anything over 300 will cause this) or packet drop(cause by a bad unstable connection or sum1 purposely reducing the amount of packets they are sending(ie a cheat))
game stutter is 1 thin i have only ever experianced in cod4 where i was getting a constant 125 fps but every 10 seconds or so i would get a drop to sub 20 fps it would last about a second and then shoot back up to 125 and cyle this way till i quit... the way i got round it was i increased my cpu speed to 3.2 ghz this was a rather odd case as my system should have and generally does murder the game. it turns out i was murdering the game rather 2 well, when i turned the fps limit off (well set maxfps to 500) i was getting 345-to 400 fps max. and 90 minimum. this was causing the cpu to choke on the 2 used threads. even limiting the fps to 125 didnt help this... so i was left with overclocking... 3.0 saw the stutter drop by half or more and 3.1 cleared it completely... so i bumped it to 3.2 and had no more issues...
i could have raised the fsaa but that would have had a much more dramatic impact on my fps than i needed. so want the way to go.

it turns out that it may well have been an app outside the game causing this issue. people have reported that its the clock sync in windows or a mouse/keyboard driver but to be honest i never went looking for a solution past the oc...
January 19, 2012 12:18:53 AM

so it's to do with the processor speed? The gpu chip is being bottlenecked by the cpu? My phenom ii 720 is at 3.0ghz currently, and i play on a dell ultra-sharp 19 inch monitor 1280x1024 resolution. You're suggesting that turning it to say 3.2ghz should reduce "hiccups" in the game? I play with 4 AA & 8 AF, does this have any influence. I don't put my cpu up to 3.2ghz because i have to increase the voltage slightly, i keep everything on stock.
January 19, 2012 6:49:53 AM

like i said i only had this issue with cod 4. i cant say over clocking will solve your problem as i dont know what game your playing. try stressing the gpu by increasing the anti aliasing. it may reduce the problem or increase it, the results will suggest what to do with the cpu.
!