Chkdsk gives unspecified error and stops

Any idea why it does this?
Do I need to reformat the disk to clear it?

I'm pretty sure it's a system file, cause it boots VERY slowly.

Jeff
2 answers Last reply
More about chkdsk unspecified error stops

    Go to the web site of the manufacturer of your hard disk and use their
    diagnostics to scan your disk for problems. (The web site will provide
    complete instructions.) Chkdsk is fine, as far as it goes, but the
    manufacturer's diagnostics are more thorough. The diagnostics will provide
    all the information you need to discuss whatever problems you may be having
    with the disk manufacturer's tech support reps.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Any idea why it does this?
    > Do I need to reformat the disk to clear it?
    >
    > I'm pretty sure it's a system file, cause it boots VERY slowly.
    >
    > Jeff

    Thanks!
    Western Digital has a diagnostic to download!

    Jeff

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Go to the web site of the manufacturer of your hard disk and use their
    > diagnostics to scan your disk for problems. (The web site will provide
    > complete instructions.) Chkdsk is fine, as far as it goes, but the
    > manufacturer's diagnostics are more thorough. The diagnostics will provide
    > all the information you need to discuss whatever problems you may be having
    > with the disk manufacturer's tech support reps.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."
    >
    > "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Any idea why it does this?
    > > Do I need to reformat the disk to clear it?
    > >
    > > I'm pretty sure it's a system file, cause it boots VERY slowly.
    > >
    > > Jeff

Chkdsk System File Microsoft Windows XP