What's wrong with my USB port?

ME

I have a western digital external hard drive. It uses the usb port and I
connect it successfully to my laptop. I have also successfully used it with
my home computer, but now it isn't recognized by the computer, and so I can't
access it. I have tried a couple of different usb ports, and right now, it's
plugged into a 4-way plug with another device (the scanner I think) on the
multiple port device as well.

I have looked at device mgr, and that says the ports are working fine. The
ext. hard drive knows it's plugged into the computer. If the ports are really
okay, then what's the problem? I uninstalled the usb root hub for the two
shown, and then reinstalled. Still no correction to this problem.

Got any ideas? Thanks

It maybe that the external drive does not receive enough power through the 4
port hub.. some devices are best connected to the ports on the back of the
computer, or through a powered hub..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a western digital external hard drive. It uses the usb port and I
> connect it successfully to my laptop. I have also successfully used it
> with
> my home computer, but now it isn't recognized by the computer, and so I
> can't
> access it. I have tried a couple of different usb ports, and right now,
> it's
> plugged into a 4-way plug with another device (the scanner I think) on the
> multiple port device as well.
>
> I have looked at device mgr, and that says the ports are working fine. The
> ext. hard drive knows it's plugged into the computer. If the ports are
> really
> okay, then what's the problem? I uninstalled the usb root hub for the two
> shown, and then reinstalled. Still no correction to this problem.
>
> Got any ideas? Thanks

Correct. Connect the external only to a separate USB 2.0 outlet on the
back of the Computer OR to a powered USB 2.0 Hub. Another solution: if
the external is enabled for either USB 2.0 or Firewire [ieee 1394,
i-Link] operation and your Computer also has Firewire, connect the
external via that method(which is what I do).
Gene K